lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, so would I have compatibility issues when I buy a new tv that’ll be HDCP 2.3?
Not necessarily, but would depend I think more on source devices you're using rather than the display. HDMI is backwards compatible but HDCP I do not believe is particularly...

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Ok thx guys. I just want to make sure I’m not going to have issues with my 4K player or whatever new tv I get eventually, want everything playing nice together. Don’t want to have to replace something because it’s 2.2 and not 2.3. I’ll let you guys know about the 4500 Tuesday, thats my first day off and am planning on getting it set up.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Ok I got it hooked up and ran Audyssey but I’m not getting any direct tv. I have hdmi from Dtv box connected to the CBl/sat Hdmi port on avr and I have no pic. Did I miss something?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok I got it hooked up and ran Audyssey but I’m not getting any direct tv. I have hdmi from Dtv box connected to the CBl/sat Hdmi port on avr and I have no pic. Did I miss something?
Try turning display on first, then avr then D* box?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The Direct TV box is not HDMI/HDCP certified and has a lot of compatibility issues when connected directly to an AVR. Connect it directly to the HD display and run the ARC back to the AVR....

Just my $0.02.. ;)

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Ok, I’ll try but I didn’t have this issue when it was connected to my 860. So should the hdmi control not be on in the denon?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, I’ll try but I didn’t have this issue when it was connected to my 860. So should the hdmi control not be on in the denon?
Depends what you want HDMI CEC (control) to do, personally I don't use it or ARC....but that is sometimes necessary for ARC.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Ok, so I had to unplug the Dtv box and plug it back in and it works. Except when I turn volume up on avr, the volume bar for my tv is turning up with avr volume. I’m assuming there’s some setting in avr I’ve got to turn off

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I didn’t get to play much tonight because everyone is in bed but for sure tomorrow. What I did listen to sounded good. It seemed though l had to turn it up quite a bit -12 from reference to get it to sound loud, maybe that’s the difference between my 860 and this idk. Bass sounded a little weak, my front two are on a y-splitter set around 76db but Audyssey set those at -12 and my rear one at -9. Like I said I didn’t get to really play with anything yet as far as changing levels, I’ll be on that tomorrow. Idk if there’s anything I’m missing as to why I needed to turn it up so much. At -15 on my 860 it was freaking loud

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn’t get to play much tonight because everyone is in bed but for sure tomorrow. What I did listen to sounded good. It seemed though l had to turn it up quite a bit -12 from reference to get it to sound loud, maybe that’s the difference between my 860 and this idk. Bass sounded a little weak, my front two are on a y-splitter set around 76db but Audyssey set those at -12 and my rear one at -9. Like I said I didn’t get to really play with anything yet as far as changing levels, I’ll be on that tomorrow. Idk if there’s anything I’m missing as to why I needed to turn it up so much. At -15 on my 860 it was freaking loud
When the Denon is setting your sub trim to -12 that indicates it's trying to overcome too high a gain on the sub amp itself. I'd lower the gain on the sub and re-run Audyssey.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
When the Denon is setting your sub trim to -12 that indicates it's trying to overcome too high a gain on the sub amp itself. I'd lower the gain on the sub and re-run Audyssey.
Yea I understand that but it seems to me it counted the front two as one since they’re connected by a y-splitter. I set each one to 76db but obviously it is to high

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea I understand that but it seems to me it counted the front two as one since they’re connected by a y-splitter. I set each one to 76db but obviously it is to high
I'd still lower the gain on the sub amps a bit...just hard to know exactly where when it's trying to lower gain -12, you could be really close or several dB off...

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I'd still lower the gain on the sub amps a bit...just hard to know exactly where when it's trying to lower gain -12, you could be really close or several dB off...
I’m going to man, I have to. I knew something was up when I saw the -12. Any explanation why I would need to turn this up much louder than my 860? Is it because of Audyssey really correcting crap in the room compared to ypao?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m going to man, I have to. I knew something was up when I saw the -12. Any explanation why I would need to turn this up much louder than my 860? Is it because of Audyssey really correcting crap in the room compared to ypao?
More about gain differences in this case I'd think. Just lower the gain on the sub amp a bit and re-run setup/Audyssey and get at least a trim level setting in the avr of -11.5 or above to indicate it's not at the limits indicated by -12. That the gains are different between different avrs/internal amp sections, sure.....

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
More about gain differences in this case I'd think. Just lower the gain on the sub amp a bit and re-run setup/Audyssey and get at least a trim level setting in the avr of -11.5 or above to indicate it's not at the limits indicated by -12. That the gains are different between different avrs/internal amp sections, sure.....
Thx man. I’ll let you know tomorrow where it ends up as I’ll be playing with this thing a lot tomorrow.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Ok I just got done running Audyssey again. It set the front two at -9.5 and the rear one at -8.0. Probably good now but I’ll probably bump each up 3-4db

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Correct me plz if I’m wrong but after Audyssey I went back in to check my speaker levels and set master volume to zero while doing it. All my speakers were louder than 75db so I turned them down to 75db. Is that the correct way to do that or is it louder because eq has applied to all the speakers after running Audyssey and leave levels where Audyssey set them?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Correct me plz if I’m wrong but after Audyssey I went back in to check my speaker levels and set master volume to zero while doing it. All my speakers were louder than 75db so I turned them down to 75db. Is that the correct way to do that or is it louder because eq has applied to all the speakers after running Audyssey and leave levels where Audyssey set them?
Once you run Audyssey I would nornally leave the levels it established in place. The only change I usually make is maybe increase the center channel a bit (as needed) for a movie or the same with the subs. Audyssey is pretty good at setting distance and proper levels. If your sound seems thin I would turn on Dynamic EQ under Audio:Audyssey.

As far as your TV volume, you should be able to select external speaker as an option in the TV menus.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Once you run Audyssey I would nornally leave the levels it established in place. The only change I usually make is maybe increase the center channel a bit (as needed) for a movie or the same with the subs. Audyssey is pretty good at setting distance and proper levels. If your sound seems thin I would turn on Dynamic EQ under Audio:Audyssey.

As far as your TV volume, you should be able to select external speaker as an option in the TV menus.
I have dynamic eq already on and my tv speakers are already shut off. The tv thing I’m sure is something simple I’ll have to play with. I did notice dynamic volume is just like dynamic range on my Yamaha, when it’s engaged the overall volume it’s a lot louder. When it’s off that’s why I have to turn the volume louder than where I’d normally have it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis