R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Anyone have any idea why it’s been 10hrs and the firmware update is still not done on the 4500?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Anyone have any idea why it’s been 10hrs and the firmware update is still not done on the 4500?
That's not good. Mine takes 5 minutes. There may be a problem with the wifi connection. I would connect it to an ethernet connection, power it down and try again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why did you do a firmware update? Is it by wifi or usb? Seems it's stuck, might need to reset now.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Why did you do a firmware update? Is it by wifi or usb? Seems it's stuck, might need to reset now.
It said there was an update to be installed, by WiFi but never had issue with the 860 with WiFi. I’ll try

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It said there was an update to be installed, by WiFi but never had issue with the 860 with WiFi. I’ll try
Personally I turn off the automatic update thing and see what it is before considering if worthwhile to bother with....if it doesn't affect me I don't bother with it. I would do them by usb whenever possible due all the problems I've noted when people do them via wifi (and have gotten stuck myself before on wifi updates).

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Personally I turn off the automatic update thing and see what it is before considering if worthwhile to bother with....if it doesn't affect me I don't bother with it. I would do them by usb whenever possible due all the problems I've noted when people do them via wifi (and have gotten stuck myself before on wifi updates).
I unplugged it and it is fine

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Can’t figure out this dam tv volume bar appearing on screen at the same time as the avr volume is being used, I haven’t changed a thing in tv and it never showed up before

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can’t figure out this dam tv volume bar appearing on screen at the same time as the avr volume is being used, I haven’t changed a thing in tv and it never showed up before
Is HDMI CEC on?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Is HDMI CEC on?
Yea it’s on in the tv. My tv control can control the volume of the avr which I don’t want. When I was setting things up in Audyssey, it asked if I was using arc from my tv obviously I said yes but after it was set, it said on screen I can control volume on avr with my tv control which I do not want. I’ve got to get up early so it’ll have to wait until tomorrow to go through stuff again on avr

M

Methodical

Audioholic
...also enjoy the Denon remote control app. I use it on the iPad. It's more visual than the Denon handheld remote and provides a first class image of the sound mode source and the mode the 4500 is outputting. Plus, you can easily tweak the center channel or the subwoofers all while sitting down and never have to switch from the movie...
@VMPS-TIII

Which app do you use for this? There are various apps listed.

Thanks...

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
New comes with a 3 year warranty as well.....
There is a big difference between Denon Factory Warranty and many aftermarket warranty companies. If you have issues, I bet it almost always goes more smoothly with warranty from Denon. Plus, I have read more then one post over the years of someone's house burning down due to a piece of electronics that wasn't repaired properly. Personally, I only buy new from authorized dealers when it comes to high end electronics but, YMMV of course.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There is a big difference between Denon Factory Warranty and many aftermarket warranty companies. If you have issues, I bet it almost always goes more smoothly with warranty from Denon. Plus, I have read more then one post over the years of someone's house burning down due to a piece of electronics that wasn't repaired properly. Personally, I only buy new from authorized dealers when it comes to high end electronics but, YMMV of course.

I was talking about the 3 year Denon warranty, not a third party type, which I agree are likely to have issues. The 1 year Denon factory warranty on a refurb plus a 2 year aftermarket warranty I would consider better than the 1 year alone, tho....

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I was talking about the 3 year Denon warranty, not a third party type, which I agree are likely to have issues. The 1 year Denon factory warranty on a refurb plus a 2 year aftermarket warranty I would consider better than the 1 year alone, tho....
Roger, sorry misunderstood. Yes, I agree but, I would still always pay the extra for the full factory warranty personally if even for the piece of mind alone. But, at the same time I understand why some choose to roll the dice to save a few hundred. Money is tight these days and many get many years out of even a refurb without issues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Roger, sorry misunderstood. Yes, I agree but, I would still always pay the extra for the full factory warranty personally if even for the piece of mind alone. But, at the same time I understand why some choose to roll the dice to save a few hundred. Money is tight these days and many get many years out of even a refurb without issues.

Just that some of the refurbs now do have the three year factory warranty, instead of the usual one year and then the retailer's third party add-on....

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Hey guys, still haven’t really had a lot of time to really play with the 4500 but have some questions. I was able to run Audyssey and after it set my two subs up front at -9.5 which is fine and my rear at -8.0. I checked levels after Audyssey with spl meter and all three subs were about 70db each, should I be upping the gain on each sub to 75db each or leave it where Audyssey has set them?

I also checked my speaker levels and those were a couple dB louder than 75db, again should I be turning those down to 75db or leave it? Should I even be going in after Audyssey and changing levels with spl meter at all?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey guys, still haven’t really had a lot of time to really play with the 4500 but have some questions. I was able to run Audyssey and after it set my two subs up front at -9.5 which is fine and my rear at -8.0. I checked levels after Audyssey with spl meter and all three subs were about 70db each, should I be upping the gain on each sub to 75db each or leave it where Audyssey has set them?

I also checked my speaker levels and those were a couple dB louder than 75db, again should I be turning those down to 75db or leave it? Should I even be going in after Audyssey and changing levels with spl meter at all?
If you had run Audyssey when the room was quiet and you followed the instructions to the letter, then you should trust those results. The Audyssey mics were supposedly calibrated against some reference so for the specific task they should be more accurate than you spl meter. This is especially the case when checking subwoofers, that you can't trust your spl meter too much.

I have run audyssey many times (so many that I lost count long ago) and I know it is pretty accurate each time I ran REW to see the actual results.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
If you had run Audyssey when the room was quiet and you followed the instructions to the letter, then you should trust those results. The Audyssey mics were supposedly calibrated against some reference so for the specific task they should be more accurate than you spl meter. This is especially the case when checking subwoofers, that you can't trust your spl meter too much.

I have run audyssey many times (so many that I lost count long ago) and I know it is pretty accurate each time I ran REW to see the actual results.
Ok thx. Yea it was quiet. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t have to go back in with an spl meter to change things around. Don’t need to be creating any harm if things are fine after Audyssey. Hopefully I get some time to play with this thing soon, was the kids sports and now it’s work.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic

I definitely respect your opinion Peng but, I don't agree with it in this case.

I think it totally depends on the Mic or SPL Meter he is using. The Audyssey mics are cheap, medium quality at best, and batch calibrated within a variance of 2.0db. If he is using a UMIK-1(especially if calibrated by CSA) or even a quality name brand SPL, that is accurate at the right frequency range to measure a sub, they both should be more accurate then the cheap included Audyssey mic(some peoples SPL Meters are worth half as much as their AVR's).

I am new to this and still learning but, I have read posts from several people that say you should indeed re-check levels post Audyssey and correct where necessary. Relying on a single measurement, with a cheap mic, during the Audyssey position 1 scan is not the most accurate way to do things imo. All it takes is a car driving by or any other issues and that one scan will not be fully accurate. With a quality SPL Meter/UMIK-1 & REW you can play a constant tone and recheck it until you get the level perfect. Then, you can recheck it anytime. While Audyssey does a pretty good job, I can't see how this method is not more accurate. I personally see Audyssey as a basic starting point(or finishing point for less technically inclined people)that can almost always be improved apon.

As for his question about the subs...

I believe you want the combined output of all three subs to be 75. But, that is just a starting point. Adjust the bass, post Audyssey, to the level you see fit(many find it too low after Audyssey). Just make sure to keep your AVR sub levels at about -6.0db or lower to prevent the AVR from sending a clipped signal. Use your subs gain to go higher then that while keeping them all synced.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis