Where are the BIG center channels?

G

gaby95

Audioholic
It’s all way way way to large for my tiny room anyhow. Silly overkill but it’s here so what the hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Overkill = peace of mind to me that I wont regret not going the extra bit higher :D

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I've been trying to find detailed measurements on lots of centers lately to see how the SPL and response is on and off axis (well to about 30 degrees, not really worried about more than 30 degrees off axis for the center). Hard to find much! Few people have lots of measurements on these and just I guess take it on faith from cost or reputation? Would hate to drop $1k or more on a center and the seat at 30 degrees has a 3~6db or worse drop in SPL in the mid range or lower treble.

Very best,

G

gaby95

Audioholic
I've been trying to find detailed measurements on lots of centers lately to see how the SPL and response is on and off axis (well to about 30 degrees, not really worried about more than 30 degrees off axis for the center). Hard to find much! Few people have lots of measurements on these and just I guess take it on faith from cost or reputation? Would hate to drop $1k or more on a center and the seat at 30 degrees has a 3~6db or worse drop in SPL in the mid range or lower treble.

Very best,
Yeah for the most part, if I cannot find anything, I try to stick to the "safe" design concepts and not deal with 2ways or 2.5ways even.
Heck, I have been wanting to find something about the Pendragon Center and zero luck

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I was just looking at the Paradigm Premiere 600C, a nice big center, 3 way design, but I suspect with so many drivers it probably will have some issues potentially, so was looking for some measurements to see what the 0 to 30 degree SPL response across the range would be like.

Some 2.5 ways seem to measure ok, like some of the coaxial based ones such as KEF. But not a lot do this, so they're limited. And even less comprehensive measurements.

Very best,

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Very best,
You might look over on ASR they’ve tested a lot of centers over on that forum although it don’t seem to take much for them to kick one to the side of the road .

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
You might look over on ASR they’ve tested a lot of centers over on that forum although it don’t seem to take much for them to kick one to the side of the road .
Yea, I started looking and when I clicked their master list and saw only 3 Paradigms measured and all three got a "no" next to them, I just closed the website.

I'd love to see data, without perhaps their interpretation of said data. I love measurements, but man, ASR is such a negative/toxic place frankly.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's just typical of centers and measurements more than anything, I think....compromised designs can do that.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Don't know but seems to me Erin's Audio Corner may have measurements on a Klippel (NFS?), might be ASR....
Yea, I started looking at some of Erin's stuff, I like it and the non-toxic vibe. He just doesn't have every speaker measured of course lol. What a chore that would be. He did measure the SVS Prime Center and determined it to have excellent on and off axis SPL response which is really promising. There's other 3 way designs that he measured that had bad off axis SPL response, like the Emotiva C2+. So this kind of thing has me wondering about other 3 way designs and what to look for since there are no measurements. I would think Paradigm would have some measurements out there. Would love to see Paradigm Premiere 600C, Polk L400 and R400, Monolith 365 THX center, SVS Ultra Center, etc.

I wouldn't even care and just keep using vertical speakers as a center, but I really do want to eventually get a 100" or larger projector and so unless I go long throw and AT screen, a vertical tower as a center just won't work for that. And I'm way more interested in ultra short throw than traditional long throw right now. But then again, I like seeing the speakers with no grill covers. So eventually I will perhaps be forced back to a horizontal center.

Very best,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was just looking at the Paradigm Premiere 600C, a nice big center, 3 way design, but I suspect with so many drivers it probably will have some issues potentially, so was looking for some measurements to see what the 0 to 30 degree SPL response across the range would be like.

Some 2.5 ways seem to measure ok, like some of the coaxial based ones such as KEF. But not a lot do this, so they're limited. And even less comprehensive measurements.

Very best,
The 600C is bound to measure very well, probably a lot like the 500C. The two outer woofers on the 600C are not not active drivers but rather passive radiators. That means they will only be playing deep bass, so they don't need close center-to-center spacing. So it will measure a lot like the 500C except with deeper bass since the 500C was a sealed design with no passive radiators or ports.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Very best,
Polk L400:

Monoprice Monolith THX-365C:

Both very good centers

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
The 600C is bound to measure very well, probably a lot like the 500C. The two outer woofers on the 600C are not not active drivers but rather passive radiators. That means they will only be playing deep bass, so they don't need close center-to-center spacing. So it will measure a lot like the 500C except with deeper bass since the 500C was a sealed design with no passive radiators or ports.
Thanks; yea I figure it should, but just was curious if something was out there to know for sure.

And thanks for the graphs, looks like the L400 has better dispersion characteristic than the Monolith? Both are well within the 30 degree off axis range before some problems creep in it looks like? I'm curious how the SVS Ultra Center would be compared to these, all using the same basic design it seems.

Very best,

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
That's just typical of centers and measurements more than anything, I think....compromised designs can do that.
I agree completely on that although I’ve had a couple that have preformed very well in my room including the one I run now but I’ve always thought 3 towers would be nice to try .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yea, I started looking and when I clicked their master list and saw only 3 Paradigms measured and all three got a "no" next to them, I just closed the website.

I'd love to see data, without perhaps their interpretation of said data. I love measurements, but man, ASR is such a negative/toxic place frankly.

Very best,
I’ve been a member there as long as I’ve been one here toxic is being nice . If you dig there is good info but it comes with a lot of nonsense to get to it .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve been a member there as long as I’ve been one here toxic is being nice . If you dig there is good info but it comes with a lot of nonsense to get to it .
Mostly toxic to subjective nonsense IME. Can be kinda rough based on some stats that are largely inaudible, tho :) Lots of very good content/knowledge there, tho.....

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Yea, my time is more valuable to do other things that sift through endless amounts of toxic negative mimic/parrot crap there. I'd be happy just to see the graphs and data and not read any comments or commentary, assuming the measurements were done in an ideal way.

Either way, ASR didn't have measurements that I could find on the Paradigm 600C and only the SVS Ultra bookshelf, no towers or center.

Very best,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis