Where are the BIG center channels?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hey all,

It seems to be conventional wisdom that in home theater the center channel is the most important speaker in your staging. Yet it seems to be dwarfed in general in even modern and mid-tier lines by their mains and only large compared to perhaps the satellites meant for surround duty. I realize it presents a challenge for most spaces to have an enormous center with access to such inexpensive large displays these days and of course the projector setups, other than doing a false wall and/or screen setup which is also not possible for most people in their homes. But barring all that, still, where are the big center channels? Even from a sensitivity standpoint, they use smaller cabinets and smaller woofers.

I currently use a 3rd identical floor standing tower speaker as my mains, so my front stage are three of the same speaker. This of course puts a big challenge on wall space for a screen and limits screen size. I can either just deal with a high on the wall smaller display, or I can do a false wall and screen (and lose a few feet in the room), but I'm not looking to do a projector at this time. Or, I could explore a big center channel that is horizontal. Just keep running into most lines being small. Maybe it doesn't matter? I'm just thinking out loud at this point.

I love the look of various lines, but I like the sensitivity and size of something like PowerSoundAudio despite their utilitarian appearance.

Anyone have a huge center channel and how did you balance your display size and spacing? Or is everyone using a smaller center and they're happy with it horizontally in a home theater context and looking for bigger, or satisfied?

Very best,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, my center uses the same drivers and almost the same size cabinet as my towers, just a different form factor.

20210528_142515_copy_806x604.jpg

463_copy_452x603.jpeg

20210528_142011_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Last edited:
MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Yea, those Ascends, they seem to have went with a larger center cabinet, but definitely isn't the norm out there in that sense. Do you like the tweeter at all listening positions?

Very best,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

Yea, those Ascends, they seem to have went with a larger center cabinet, but definitely isn't the norm out there in that sense. Do you like the tweeter at all listening positions?

Very best,
Yup. It's a really solid performer and as capable as the towers are. I'm pretty sure the cabinet volume is almost the same, with their respective f3 within a dB or 2.

I'll betcha it won't be long before @Mark E. Long pops in here! He has a very capable center as well, but I'll let him do the honors. :p

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Ooh yea buddy she’s a big girl lol ! Still very impressed with this beast my not work in a small room but it wasn’t designed for one .
It really likes power I feed it 500 watts with a bridged amp . Mabey the best center I’ve had or herd like ever !

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ooh yea buddy she’s a big girl lol ! Still very impressed with this beast my not work in a small room but it wasn’t designed for one .
It really likes power I feed it 500 watts with a bridged amp . Mabey the best center I’ve had or herd like ever !
3 way design, horn compression drivers with 8" bass drivers right? Your center is a beast!

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
That's really interesting, will have to look that one up!

Very best,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's really interesting, will have to look that one up!

Very best,
Interesting and pricey too, but pretty beefy. JBL's Synthesis speakers are legit, but they'll cost ya a couple bucks

I believe the mid and tweet are both horn compression drivers, with the tweet over the mid as is often suggested to look for in a good center.

jbl_880-array.jpg

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
3 way design, horn compression drivers with 8" bass drivers right? Your center is a beast!
It is I’d never guessed it would blend with my big towers but it does very well . It really comes alive with like sacd’s and dts , or concert blu ray concerts incredible clear sound .

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Interesting and pricey too, but pretty beefy. JBL's Synthesis speakers are legit.

I believe the mid and tweet are both horn compression drivers, with the tweet over the mid as is often suggested to look for in a good center.
Sweet, thanks. I don't mind the price, it's reasonable I think compared to some silly little 4 inch drivers in tiny cabinets I see from lines that cost a lot more. Not a "pretty" cabinet, but most of these bigger ones are very utilitarian in look, might just have to accept that.

Very best,

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Interesting and pricey too, but pretty beefy. JBL's Synthesis speakers are legit.

View attachment 54563
Yes 1 inch on top and a 3 or 3 1/2 mid I’d have to look at the specs for sure . Very pricey but you get what you pay for .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It is I’d never guessed it would blend with my big towers but it does very well . It really comes alive with like sacd’s and dts , or concert blu ray concerts incredible clear sound .
That whole speaker line really is pretty high end and ain't cheap, but about as solid as you can expect from JBL in performance.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Sweet, thanks. I don't mind the price, it's reasonable I think compared to some silly little 4 inch drivers in tiny cabinets I see from lines that cost a lot more. Not a "pretty" cabinet, but most of these bigger ones are very utilitarian in look, might just have to accept that.

Very best,
In good light it’s gorgeous very dark rose wood .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Very best,
Ah, so you're poking around center channels and considering getting one? There are some pretty good ones out there.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not a "pretty" cabinet, but most of these bigger ones are very utilitarian in look, might just have to accept that.
Wait til you see the matching L/R speakers that go with it! Lol

1132441-227757ca-jbl-synthesis-1400-array-bg-loudspeaker-pair-original-owner-includes-boxes.jpg

I have little doubt they are excellent speakers but performance over aesthetics don't always make for a pretty package, lol.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
You can still find these on eBay and still pricey too but very well built no comparison to the other centers I’ve had . One of the flattest measuring center I’ve ever seen but like almost all centers it’s not the best at off axis response but hell none are . But in a nice room who sits more than 60 gegrees off to the side it works best sitting about 12 foot away .

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Here's a little bit better image of the rosewood.
Hrm, honestly I think I like the all black better. Overall I don't mind a super simple look. I do like to view them without grills, I like to see all the drivers. I'm not partial to fancy wood veneers and stuff, it has to be very good (like the work Salk does) for me to woo over to that. For longevity I think simple works best for me. But yea I'm considering a big center, despite already using a tower, just to potentially have access to larger screens or to simply be able to lower the screen a bit. Getting a new room soon to be able to dedicate to this so playing with ideas.

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Wait til you see the matching L/R speakers that go with it! Lol

I have little doubt they are excellent speakers but performance over aesthetics don't always make for a pretty package, lol.
Good lord those are hideous lol. I'd have to go all black to manage to get over those.

Very best,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis