Where are the BIG center channels?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Next theater will be all towers again. No substitute for that.
Agreed; bookshelves are not as sensitive with the smaller volume cabinets, so I took to towers quickly. I like the neutral calm sound of the Monitor Series, not bright, not tinny, not boomy. They're cheap speakers for sure, but in a movie with everything pumping, I can't fault them. The larger cabinets allowing a higher sensitivity and reaching higher SPL at farther listening distances without separate amps is a cost and heat blessing.

I like the idea of an AT screen and projector, but I really like seeing the speakers with no grills. I like seeing the drivers. Only time the grills are on is when my near 3 year old is running around in the room. My 8 year old finally stopped being a threat. But I love seeing big commanding speakers. Not very theater like, but just my own little quark I guess.

I need to really look into rows for seating and I can build a 2nd row riser so that the 2nd row can see and hear appropriately. I don't know how much space I will have truly in the end until I get the actual room. But I want to be mindful of being too far and positioning listening positions at any midway point in the triangle room.

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
The GSG problem will pass. Perhaps @JasonGSG can give an update, please? :D
I sure hope so. I was all ready to order two Marty Cube flat packs and the 18's and the amp from them and get a miniDSP HD but then saw the message on their website. I've never built subs before, but I've built other speakers. I think its worth a try. For the same cost give or take I could get the dual VTF3 Mk5's though, and just live not knowing what those cubes would do.

Very best,

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed; bookshelves are not as sensitive with the smaller volume cabinets, so I took to towers quickly. I like the neutral calm sound of the Monitor Series, not bright, not tinny, not boomy. They're cheap speakers for sure, but in a movie with everything pumping, I can't fault them. The larger cabinets allowing a higher sensitivity and reaching higher SPL at farther listening distances without separate amps is a cost and heat blessing.

I like the idea of an AT screen and projector, but I really like seeing the speakers with no grills. I like seeing the drivers. Only time the grills are on is when my near 3 year old is running around in the room. My 8 year old finally stopped being a threat. But I love seeing big commanding speakers. Not very theater like, but just my own little quark I guess.

I need to really look into rows for seating and I can build a 2nd row riser so that the 2nd row can see and hear appropriately. I don't know how much space I will have truly in the end until I get the actual room. But I want to be mindful of being too far and positioning listening positions at any midway point in the triangle room.

Very best,
Maybe this will help, but in both of my theaters I've never had anyone complain about not being able to hear. If anything they ask me to turn it down. :) My theaters are less than optimal, but they sound good from any row.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Maybe this will help, but in both of my theaters I've never had anyone complain about not being able to hear. If anything they ask me to turn it down. :) My theaters are less than optimal, but they sound good from any row.
Oh for sure, I get it, I would expect only people with loads of experience with theater and home theater design would even have a constructive comment, most people just don't know any difference. I'm sure I will make mistakes, as this will be my 3rd or 4th space now doing this and of course we learn each time. But this will be my first dedicated space that can be closed off and not share big open rooms with other big open rooms. But it's of course fun to at least go through the thought experiment on how to implement it well. And a big part of that question, at least for me, is the difference a big center channel makes, be it horizontal and huge, or a big tower that is vertical and how it will present to some seating arrangements.

Very best,

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Nothing wrong with those Polk towers. 40Hz - 24kHz and soft dome tweeters can be pleasing to the ear. They even advertised that they use mylar caps in the crossovers. There can be good value in that range if you shop carefully. I'm envious of the new build. Hope all goes well for you with no supply issues. Lumber supply is much better now but prices are still up.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Nothing wrong with those Polk towers. 40Hz - 24kHz and soft dome tweeters can be pleasing to the ear. They even advertised that they use mylar caps in the crossovers. There can be good value in that range if you shop carefully. I'm envious of the new build. Hope all goes well for you with no supply issues. Lumber supply is much better now but prices are still up.
Prices are still bad. They softened up for a week and then went back to horrible. Planning now and hoping to start in the next year since it takes 6 months or more to even begin to hope for a start on a build.

But it gives lots of time to really look into some options for a dedicated space and since that space is mostly theater/gaming, I'm thinking a ton about the center channel and seating in various room sizes.

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
We're all good! Material disaster averted & new supplier sourced. How can I help?
Hi Jason,

The website (GSG) still shows red text saying that new orders will be canceled/refunded. Is this just not updated? Shop is open?

Very best,

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
Hi Jason,

The website (GSG) still shows red text saying that new orders will be canceled/refunded. Is this just not updated? Shop is open?

Very best,
You nailed it right on the head! I promise we make better speakers than maintain a webpage!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
center.png

Big Center :p, Now I have to drag it downstairs a room since the walls are finished in my basement...

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Interesting. It's always good to get some real world feedback.

One of these days I need to build a dedicated home theater room so I don't have to make so many compromises.

I think Gene needs to upgrade his center ( ;))

View attachment 54611

I love love love my RBH SV-6100C. Upgraded the Scan Speak to the newer AMT Reference. It’s a superb center. A bit big.

Attachments

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Hey all,

It seems to be conventional wisdom that in home theater the center channel is the most important speaker in your staging. Yet it seems to be dwarfed in general in even modern and mid-tier lines by their mains and only large compared to perhaps the satellites meant for surround duty. I realize it presents a challenge for most spaces to have an enormous center with access to such inexpensive large displays these days and of course the projector setups, other than doing a false wall and/or screen setup which is also not possible for most people in their homes. But barring all that, still, where are the big center channels? Even from a sensitivity standpoint, they use smaller cabinets and smaller woofers.

I currently use a 3rd identical floor standing tower speaker as my mains, so my front stage are three of the same speaker. This of course puts a big challenge on wall space for a screen and limits screen size. I can either just deal with a high on the wall smaller display, or I can do a false wall and screen (and lose a few feet in the room), but I'm not looking to do a projector at this time. Or, I could explore a big center channel that is horizontal. Just keep running into most lines being small. Maybe it doesn't matter? I'm just thinking out loud at this point.

I love the look of various lines, but I like the sensitivity and size of something like PowerSoundAudio despite their utilitarian appearance.

Anyone have a huge center channel and how did you balance your display size and spacing? Or is everyone using a smaller center and they're happy with it horizontally in a home theater context and looking for bigger, or satisfied?

Very best,
My system is a bit large, but my RBH center channel is unsurpassed in clarity and power. I’ve got an 85” QLED just above. Its Lovely.

Attachments

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
My system is a bit large, but my RBH center channel is unsurpassed in clarity and power. I’ve got an 85” QLED just above. Its Lovely.
Looks great, is it still available or is this now discontinued?

Very best,

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
They may still have some bstock T1 cabinets around. No longer have 10” reference woofers. All of their subs are based on the big dual 12” now. I believe there are still some sx-6100 cabinets. Give em a call and ask for Duane. Back and side channels can be the 661 series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

gaby95

Audioholic
I love love love my RBH SV-6100C. Upgraded the Scan Speak to the newer AMT Reference. It’s a superb center. A bit big.
Looking at that design I got all sorts of lobing issues red alerts.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My PSB Image 8C uses two 5.25" drivers, is 24" wide and weighs in at 23 lbs. It aint a beast but its not small either.
Main31.jpg

Last edited:
P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Yeah but it looks like he's sitting right in front of it. So probably not noticeable
It’s all way way way to large for my tiny room anyhow. Silly overkill but it’s here so what the hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis