What to do next ....

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Why? Will it require hiring someone costly to install the ceiling speakers for Atmos? Or you don’t have an Atmos AVR yet?
I have to set my priority first amd my budget. I think the subs are a higher prioriry for a better listening experience.

My AVR is ok i think for atmos.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thank but i will pospone the ceiling speaker for the subwoofer
That’s not a bad choice. I would definitely recommend keeping an eye on the future and adding in ceiling speakers for atmos. With your low ceiling height, it will be important to find a speaker that follows Dolby’s recommendations of wide dispersion(90°from center), which might mean a 6” woofer. I agree with ADTG and go big, but that’s a low ceiling, so...

FWIW, I used RSL, c34e’s in my system. Before I mounted them in the ceiling, I made some quick boxes for them and used them as mains in my bedroom 5.1 system. Wow! They image like crazy, and worked great for my bedroom. They are also excellent as my atmos speakers, and I never hesitate to recommend them. Something cheaper, and also popular is the rc 65/85 from Polk. I have a pair of 85i’s in another room, and they sound really nice for what/where they are.
Also, I agree with the others about a pair of 12’s being enough for your room. However if your only doing one, I’d get a 15. But fwiw, if I were shopping for duals, I’d still look at 15’s for that size room, and hopefully remove the “itch” for much longer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s a mono signal. You can use a Y splitter RCA adaptor cable to get two mono sub outputs from a single mono sub output on your AVR.
Yep. This is true. Unless he has XT32 with subeq. Then it’s more complicated, but I think he’s gonna stop at 2 subs, so should be safe. Until...

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
That’s not a bad choice. I would definitely recommend keeping an eye on the future and adding in ceiling speakers for atmos. With your low ceiling height, it will be important to find a speaker that follows Dolby’s recommendations of wide dispersion(90°from center), which might mean a 6” woofer. I agree with ADTG and go big, but that’s a low ceiling, so...

FWIW, I used RSL, c34e’s in my system. Before I mounted them in the ceiling, I made some quick boxes for them and used them as mains in my bedroom 5.1 system. Wow! They image like crazy, and worked great for my bedroom. They are also excellent as my atmos speakers, and I never hesitate to recommend them. Something cheaper, and also popular is the rc 65/85 from Polk. I have a pair of 85i’s in another room, and they sound really nice for what/where they are.
Also, I agree with the others about a pair of 12’s being enough for your room. However if your only doing one, I’d get a 15. But fwiw, if I were shopping for duals, I’d still look at 15’s for that size room, and hopefully remove the “itch” for much longer.
Fwiw=?

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Yep. This is true. Unless he has XT32 with subeq. Then it’s more complicated, but I think he’s gonna stop at 2 subs, so should be safe. Until...
I would surely stop at two... not that i dont want to go for more, but i will be happy with two.

You can check the spec of my AVR on my original post.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hsu is pretty expensive to get in Canada. I would compare pricing between the SVS PB or PC-2000 and the Monolith THX 12. See how they compare to the Paradigm Defiance X12 or Defiance X15.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Anyone have a idea where is the optimum place i can fit 2 subs? You can have a look at my drawing plan of my room in my original post.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In a room that size, there is a lot of space to fit two subs. ;) Seems like this is coming up a lot lately.

If you aren't in to taking room measurements with a program like REW, no biggy. It's a serious step, and one I've only recently started taking. If you choose to embrace the more serious side of this hobby, check it out, but you can still find success in setting up your room with other techniques.

I'm a fan of the Subwoofer Crawl. It is crude, but uses the room's own acoustics to aid you in finding the best places to put the Subs. My own experience is that you can find some very good places, acoustically, to put the subs and not need to test. Testing will improve your overall results, but if you are an astute listener, that becomes icing on the cake.
I prefer starting from a standpoint based on Geddes technique which involves placing multiple subs strategically and asymmetrically around the room. He also says mains should be considered as LF sources... even more important if they are truly full range, but even 50-200 Hz can fall into that "LF range" amd affect the room.
The basic goal here is to activate as many room modes as possible, thus cancelling as many standing waves or cancellations as possible. This results in a smoother bass response throughout the room, thus a better listening experience over a wider range of seats.
Considering that common advice insists on front wall and/or corner placement, I found the best places in my room to be away from the front and the corners. Every room is different! This cannot be stressed enough.
Every room is different!
What works for one room will not necessarily work for the next. In my mind, if you have distances from LP to each Speaker, and from Speaker to Speaker, that are all at least slightly different, you will take a serious step towards aiding your battle with room acoustics.
This is my experience. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).
:cool:

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have to set my priority first amd my budget. I think the subs are a higher prioriry for a better listening experience.

My AVR is ok i think for atmos.
I am usually the trouble maker here, so I will just say it. :D

It seems like you are saying the subs are the SALIENT components in your whole system.

More important than your front Left, front Right, and Center speakers?

They say 50% of the soundtrack is in the Center speaker. I bet the other 40% is in the front Right and Left.

You already have a sub. It might not produce as much earthquake bass and quality as a $1500 sub. But it does shake your walls? You don’t have any ceiling speakers for Atmos.

But some people can’t do ceiling speakers. So it’s understandable not to do ceiling speakers.

But if I were “upgrading”, I would focus on my front speakers first. Then the subs. Because as much as I love subs, they are NOT the salient components.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
In a room that size, there is a lot of space to fit two subs. ;) Seems like this is coming up a lot lately.

If you aren't in to taking room measurements with a program like REW, no biggy. It's a serious step, and one I've only recently started taking. If you choose to embrace the more serious side of this hobby, check it out, but you can still find success in setting up your room with other techniques.

I'm a fan of the Subwoofer Crawl. It is crude, but uses the room's own acoustics to aid you in finding the best places to put the Subs. My own experience is that you can find some very good places, acoustically, to put the subs and not need to test. Testing will improve your overall results, but if you are an astute listener, that becomes icing on the cake.
I prefer starting from a standpoint based on Geddes technique which involves placing multiple subs strategically and asymmetrically around the room. He also says mains should be considered as LF sources... even more important if they are truly full range, but even 50-200 Hz can fall into that "LF range" amd affect the room.
The basic goal here is to activate as many room modes as possible, thus cancelling as many standing waves or cancellations as possible. This results in a smoother bass response throughout the room, thus a better listening experience over a wider range of seats.
Considering that common advice insists on front wall and/or corner placement, I found the best places in my room to be away from the front and the corners. Every room is different! This cannot be stressed enough.
Every room is different!
What works for one room will not necessarily work for the next. In my mind, if you have distances from LP to each Speaker, and from Speaker to Speaker, that are all at least slightly different, you will take a serious step towards aiding your battle with room acoustics.
WOW... i am getting overwhelm by all the information i am getting. You guys are way over my knowledge of HT sounds.

I have limited space near my left and right chanel, i cannot fit a sub on the side corner of the room. So my option are anywhere else in the room exept in both front corner.

Now to make my life more complicated that guy above tell me that changing the front left and centrr chanel is way more important.

One thing is sure, i really appreciate all the help you giving me.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
WOW... i am getting overwhelm by all the information i am getting. You guys are way over my knowledge of HT sounds.

I have limited space near my left and right chanel, i cannot fit a sub on the side corner of the room. So my option are anywhere else in the room exept in both front corner.

Now to make my life more complicated that guy above tell me that changing the front left and centrr chanel is way more important.

One thing is sure, i really appreciate all the help you giving me.
Hah hah were known for that don't let it get to you we can't help overhelping :D
Think of it this way there are 3 ways you can really boost your system from this thread there be others down the road but we'll just do these 3 for now
Upgrade front 3
Upgrade subs
Add in atmos in ceiling speakers
But you can pick the order you want to budget for
Want to start with subs? Start with subs
Budget for the rest later
Happy hunting ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I am usually the trouble maker here, so I will just say it. :D

It seems like you are saying the subs are the SALIENT components in your whole system.

More important than your front Left, front Right, and Center speakers?

They say 50% of the soundtrack is in the Center speaker. I bet the other 40% is in the front Right and Left.

You already have a sub. It might not produce as much earthquake bass and quality as a $1500 sub. But it does shake your walls? You don’t have any ceiling speakers for Atmos.

But some people can’t do ceiling speakers. So it’s understandable not to do ceiling speakers.

But if I were “upgrading”, I would focus on my front speakers first. Then the subs. Because as much as I love subs, they are NOT the salient components.
Depending on budget, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to get one good sub now and update the front 3 speakers, then add a 2nd sub later for example.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic

Every room is different!
Do you have the direct link to the FEW site.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis