What gear would you choose to put together with 10k or upt to 20k?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
ADTG and I where having a Discussion on putting together a setup of a in home audio and video setup. That Discussion between the two of us went on for days closer to a week with cellphone texting back and foruth. He and I came up with a Foundation of a really good setup for around 10k.
Even took it up to 20K and came up with a Reference set up. Sure we went down in price of gear, a 2k setup was nicely Figured out between us for a starter HT home Audio and Video setup.
Give your Thoughts or even talk about what your in home HT setup is and the cost of it. Even if your just starting out with a home setup or your 50 + years knee deep with audio systems and home HT setups.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've learned enough to know that no less than 80% of it would go to speakers.

Then a good amp, capable of at least 200wpc at 4 ohms. Probably $500 to $1000 if I buy used.

Then the rest split between room treatment, source, cabling, etc.

(This assumes 2 channel, since my multichannel days are over)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Then a good amp, capable of at least 200wpc at 4 ohms. Probably $500 to $1000 if I buy used.

So you would you say 10K on speakers for a 5.1 or .2 than 10K on gear, cables and room treatments.
What about with just a Flagship AVR with no added amp. Used amps are a good buy or Refurbished. Save a lot there alone. Thoughts?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

If I had 10k to burn, I'm keeping my current amp, and buying a pair of Salk SS8's. Whatever is left over goes into room treatment.

If I had 20k to burn, I'm buying the RBH unholy beasts, and a Parasound A21 amp. The rest goes to room treatment (and bribing someone to get those speakers upstairs).

In either case I would keep my current DAC and Belden cables. It's just not where I'd put my money. It's all a pipe dream anyway (for me at least :))

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Like your choice of amp Parasound. good Customer service after the sale. No need in discussing the performance of your choice of amp anyone who’s been in home audio would already know the quality build, and performance of Parasound.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Initially a bunch of names came to mind , Krell, Datasat, Trinnov, etc. But I don't need all that to enjoy my music. So more reasonable gear would be something like this.
Yamaha CX-A5200 $2500
Ati AT4000 7 channel $5400
Pioneer Elite Series N-50 Audiophile Networked Audio Player $1100

Speakers...who knows , Revel, Paradigm, Focal, Salk, Monitor Audio, honestly, I'd have to go out and listen to a bunch. So I'd have to budget for flying around the country to hear all these, :D

I would keep 5 matching speakers under $10k and worry about atmos later..

A couple of HSU subs ULS - 15MK2

A bunch of bluejeans speaker cables and interconnects to string it all together and I'm good..

That would take up $20k easy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, let's see...

Ascend Acoustics Sierra towers with Raal tweets $3100
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s for surrounds $1500
Ascend Acoustics Horizon center channel $1200
Marantz SR6011 (new) $1500
Monoprice Monolith 7 $1500
Pair of VTF-3 MK5 subwoofers + $1700
= $10,500

Just described my own system (minus the center but towers have been ordered), lol. I didn't pay full retail for some of that stuff tho.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I had 10k to burn, I'm keeping my current amp, and buying a pair of Salk SS8's. Whatever is left over goes into room treatment.

If I had 20k to burn, I'm buying the RBH unholy beasts, and a Parasound A21 amp. The rest goes to room treatment (and bribing someone to get those speakers upstairs).

In either case I would keep my current DAC and Belden cables. It's just not where I'd put my money. It's all a pipe dream anyway (for me at least :))
You can actually get the RBH SVT towers for much much less than the Salk S8. :D

That's one thing about B&M brands vs ID - you can get big discounts on B&M brands.

When I bought the B&W 802D, I got about 25% off. When I got Revel Salon2, I got about 40% off. When I got KEF 201/2, I got 40% off.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
For $20k you could do a few rooms with 5 bookshelves or rotate them in/out. (Or pick your poison on back 2 and only rotate front 3)

Possibly one setup with Ceramic coated aluminum tweeters from Canton, one with Be tweeters from Revel or Focal, and one with RAAL tweeters from Ascend.

Dual HSU or Rythmik ported subs. Yamaha or Denon AVR. Sony x800m2 player. 4K 65in LED display. 4K streamer

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you would you say 10K on speakers for a 5.1 or .2 than 10K on gear, cables and room treatments.
What about with just a Flagship AVR with no added amp. Used amps are a good buy or Refurbished. Save a lot there alone. Thoughts?
Yamaha or Denon AVR.
Oh, no, don't say the "AVR" word too loudly with TLS Guy watching, especially if you're talking 10-20K systems. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Mike, so you mean $10K - 20K for Audio + Video, right?

Like Speakers (+/- subs), AVP/Amp (or AVR), and Projector (or TV) ?
You and I over chatting days over this. Everything cables TV The whole Enchilada. But 4K tv we came up with a big No! That Conversation was over a year ago Andrew. I still have all the texts up in the iCloud :D;):) no there’s no Mouse in my pocket lol came up with if I remember right at best a 50” 1080 @ the 20k end for everything, but we pulled back and made Compromises on Subs if I remember right.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$20K System version #1 (5.4.4 system w/o PJ):
RBH SV831R/SV1212N x 4 (Fronts & Surrounds)
RBH SV821CR x 1 (Center)
RBH VM-815 x 4 (Atmos)
RBH SA-500DSP x 4 (Amps for 4 x SV1212N)
Yamaha CX-A5200 AVP
Yamaha MX-A5200 Amp

$20K System version #2 (5.4 system w/ PJ):
RBH SV831R/SV1212N x 4
RBH SV821CR x 1
Yamaha PX3 x 2
Yamaha CX-A5200 x 1
Yamaha MX-A5200 x 1
JVC NZ3 x 1

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
If I'm doing $20K for just speakers + AVP + Amp, not including the Projector:

5.4.4 Atmos
RBH SV831R/SV1212N x 4 (Fronts & Surrounds)
RBH SV821CR x 1 (Center)
RBH VM-815 x 4 (Atmos)
RBH SA-500DSP x 4 (Amps for 4 x SV1212N)
Yamaha CX-A5200 AVP
Yamaha MX-A5200 Amp
Okay now post one up with other speakers not just your Favorite. We talked about Including other brands of speakers. We never talked about Projection, with big 2000” Projector Screens. you gotta stick to what was Discussed, or we gonna bust the Budget unless you picked up one of those Projectors at Walmart and use just a white wall in your house. You gave me the idea to start this thread. Lol :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay now post one up with other speakers not just your Favorite. We talked about Including other brands of speakers. We never talked about Projection, with big 2000” Projector Screens. you gotta stick to what was Discussed, or we gonna bust the Budget unless you picked up one of those Projectors at Walmart and use just a white wall in your house. You gave me the idea to start this thread. Lol :)
Haha. I'm still thinking...Harder to do at the hospital. :eek:

Looking for other Curvy shape speakers now. I hate boxy square speakers, so I can't recommend boxy square speakers. :D

Which other speakers are curvy speakers? KEF used to be curvy, but now they are just plain boxy square looking.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

You can actually get the RBH SVT towers for much much less than the Salk S8. :D

That's one thing about B&M brands vs ID - you can get big discounts on B&M brands.

When I bought the B&W 802D, I got about 25% off. When I got Revel Salon2, I got about 40% off. When I got KEF 201/2, I got 40% off.
Hmmm, mortgage down payment, or new speakers?? We close in 2 weeks, so I don’t have long to decide which one would benefit me most over the coming years. :cool:

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
ADTG and I where having a Discussion on putting together a setup of a in home audio and video setup. That Discussion between the two of us went on for days closer to a week with cellphone texting back and foruth. He and I came up with a Foundation of a really good setup for around 10k.
Even took it up to 20K and came up with a Reference set up. Sure we went down in price of gear, a 2k setup was nicely Figured out between us for a starter HT home Audio and Video setup.
Give your Thoughts or even talk about what your in home HT setup is and the cost of it. Even if your just starting out with a home setup or your 50 + years knee deep with audio systems and home HT setups.
Is this 2 channel or multichannel?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Haha. I'm still thinking...Harder to do at the hospital. :eek:

Looking for other Curvy shape speakers now. I hate boxy square speakers, so I can't recommend boxy square speakers. :D

Which other speakers are curvy speakers? KEF used to be curvy, but now they are just plain boxy square looking.
Shiny black Curvy speakers are good, but I guess you don’t remember the 5 you and I came up with. Martin Logan’s was one, umm you had mention B&W not them ugly ones you had. nothing that wasn’t from a Manufacturer , Salks? But you said wasn’t really Impressed with the ones you had and paint peeled or something like that.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

I don't know but the source is at least as important as the amp IMHO. Garbage in garbage out as the saying goes. If you lose information at the source it can never be recovered down the chain. And room treatment is also important much more than cabling, etc. Once again JMHO. That said the amp is important so maybe 60 or 70% to the speakers?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis