Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yep all 3. Well I ordered this hope it works.
At first I thought man, that sucks having to go analogue to digital and then back to analogue, but if you're using an AVR then it converts all analogue inputs to digital anyway for processing, right? Unless you're using Pure Direct or bypassing processing for vinyl. Hopefully the analogue to digital converter in that box is decent quality and uses some standardized components. My only concern is that you have no video signal so the question is whether that converter will still process audio when no video signal is present. Only trying it will tell. Maybe feed it a video signal from another source if you don't get anything first try.

The photos for that device do not show any power adapter so it may not come with one at that price. They show it pictured using the USB cable to supply power from a TV, so you will need a nearby USB port to power it or a power adapter with the proper connector. If you need a power adapter, a phone charger with USB port will work as long as it's rated for 500mA or more as that is how much current a USB2 port is rated at. Going higher like 1 amp is fine too. If the cable is built in to the power adapter make sure it has the correct end. Most devices use USB2 micro connectors but that photo looks more like the thicker USB2 mini connector. Can't really tell.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Reminds me, haven't playef any Elvis in a while....I got the fancy 45 set....that Tower Records price is 8.99...and I thought that was expensive ;)
That's a cool set. Are they all gold color? Those probably triple the prices nowadays.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a cool set. Are they all gold color? Those probably triple the prices nowadays.
LOL yep they aren't kidding about "the golden hits" thing....Wow so worth a whole $25 now? I'll just continue to let it "accrue" value ;) Can't think of any other colored vinyls I have....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Cool, glad to hear that it worked out for you.

Just came across some more 45s from my dad. Ella Fitzgerald and the like. I don't have any colored vinyl in 45s but a few 33s. Styx Crystal Ball in gold, AC/DC Powerage in red, Moody Blues Octave in blue, but my favorite has to be The Beatles White album, in white of course.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Anybody have this model? I want a fully automatic and can get a good deal for under $80. Retails for 199.00
Audio Technica AT-LP5

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Anybody have this model? I want a fully automatic and can get a good deal for under $80. Retails for 199.00
Audio Technica AT-LP5
That's a good price but the AT-LP5 is fully manual, right?

The good: Direct drive with decent wow and flutter numbers. (I have a belt drive now but previously owned direct drive tables and liked not having to worry about the belt and the quartz locked motors are generally pretty good.) Removable headshell so you can carry different cartridges. Built in pre-amp if you want to connect to a PC or line level input.

Down sides? No auto-return. I don't mind starting manually but I miss not having auto-return. The auto-lift mechanisms that are sold by 3rd parties tend to be expensive. The cartridge at that price point is going to be a budget model. May need to consider an upgrade. I like to have a good cartridge for LPs in good condition and a cheaper cartridge for the few that are in bad shape so as not to wear out the good stylus. If you don't need the line level output, I wonder whether the added circuitry will add noise. Hopefully the phono/line switch bypasses the pre-amp entirely.

Seems like an ok starter table. The one thing to watch out for is noise isolation. Some tables are sensitive to vibrations. If you tap the base or dust cover you don't want the vibrations carried through to the tone-arm. Cheaper tables can be susceptible to that and the only way around it is to pay more for a better table.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That's a good price but the AT-LP5 is fully manual, right?

The good: Direct drive with decent wow and flutter numbers. (I have a belt drive now but previously owned direct drive tables and liked not having to worry about the belt and the quartz locked motors are generally pretty good.) Removable headshell so you can carry different cartridges. Built in pre-amp if you want to connect to a PC or line level input.

Down sides? No auto-return. I don't mind starting manually but I miss not having auto-return. The auto-lift mechanisms that are sold by 3rd parties tend to be expensive. The cartridge at that price point is going to be a budget model. May need to consider an upgrade. I like to have a good cartridge for LPs in good condition and a cheaper cartridge for the few that are in bad shape so as not to wear out the good stylus. If you don't need the line level output, I wonder whether the added circuitry will add noise. Hopefully the phono/line switch bypasses the pre-amp entirely.

Seems like an ok starter table. The one thing to watch out for is noise isolation. Some tables are sensitive to vibrations. If you tap the base or dust cover you don't want the vibrations carried through to the tone-arm. Cheaper tables can be susceptible to that and the only way around it is to pay more for a better table.
It's automatic. I already have manual and semi automatic. Time for full auto.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It's automatic. I already have manual and semi automatic. Time for full auto.
Must be a different model then. Check their web site for the AT-LP5. It's fully manual.

I don't miss auto start. With a well dampened cuing arm it's only a few extra seconds to move the arm over, although being able to start the player with the dust cover closed can be nice. No thump over the speakers when the lid closes. ;) I know some people like to keep the dust cover off, but our house is too dusty for me to do that all of the time. I might install an arm lift for auto cuing at the end but damn those things are costly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Must be a different model then. Check their web site for the AT-LP5. It's fully manual.

I don't miss auto start. With a well dampened cuing arm it's only a few extra seconds to move the arm over, although being able to start the player with the dust cover closed can be nice. No thump over the speakers when the lid closes. ;) I know some people like to keep the dust cover off, but our house is too dusty for me to do that all of the time. I might install an arm lift for auto cuing at the end but damn those things are costly.
I've seen nice things said about the Q-Up arm lifter and for $50 not horrible. Still, will stick to the "purity" of my manual tt. Serves me right if I forget I'm playing vinyls ? :) I also keep the dust cover on. I have been thinking about that old Dual changer I had.....do they still make multi disc vinyls numbered so that you can stack 'em on a changer?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Whoops apologies its a Audio-Technica AT-LP3WH
AT-LP3WH_0.JPG
audiotechnica-atlp3wh-2_1200x.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've seen nice things said about the Q-Up arm lifter and for $50 not horrible. Still, will stick to the "purity" of my manual tt. Serves me right if I forget I'm playing vinyls ? :) I also keep the dust cover on. I have been thinking about that old Dual changer I had.....do they still make multi disc vinyls numbered so that you can stack 'em on a changer?
Thanks, I'll look into the Q-Up. Can't remember the last time I saw numbered vinyls. Any multi-disc set is 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. Is there a changer that flips 33s like a juke-box? :D My dad had a fully automatic Dual with the changer but I still cringed watching one LP drop down onto another like that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I'll look into the Q-Up. Can't remember the last time I saw numbered vinyls. Any multi-disc set is 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. Is there a changer that flips 33s like a juke-box? :D My dad had a fully automatic Dual with the changer but I still cringed watching one LP drop down onto another like that.
Yep I had one of those Duals....and the changer mechanism just being in the spindle always had me thinking what if that thing gives way during play? Mostly the labels and/or outer lip were making the contact with each other, tho. You could just arrange and flip the stack with the properly enumerated discs :). Then again another reason to have digital when playing something that takes up more than a single LP can hold (or even a single LP side for that matter ;) ).

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Whoops apologies its a Audio-Technica AT-LP3WH
View attachment 48607
Afraid I'll have to go by the web page and manual. For $80 you likely won't do much better. It will match most belt drive TTs on the used market unless you get into the higher end. I have no preference over tone arm shape. Straight and S-shaped can both work well. It retails for $300 Cdn so hopefully has a smooth auto start/stop mechanism. Only concern in that class of table is the isolation of the motor. Typically it's just rubber grommets isolating it from the chassis, so bear in mind how loud you plan to play the music. You might notice more rumble at high volumes. It does say that the base is dampened and has a nice thick rubber mat. AT91R cartridge specs are average: 20-20Kz with 18dB channel separation. Hope that helps. Oh, found an unboxing video on Youtube so you can see it in action.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Got my first White AT table today from ebay. The the up and down plastic adjustment was broken. It's basically lift the arm. I added a piece with a bit of custion and now works great! You probably can't tell. The belt was off. I put it back on and functions great. No fluttering on the plate. I'm so happy I was able to fixed it. All for only $42 shipped. No cover, but I have an extra one. The 520s rockin output. Looks a Beauty in person.
IMG_23062021_203838_(1626_x_2300_pixel).jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Check your stuff, duddettes and dudes. ☑
Dedicated to Dr. Mark. ✌

IMG_01072021_210711_(1294_x_2300_pixel).jpg

How to give yourself a stereo check-out.
London Decca Rcords in 1967

IMG_01072021_210754_(1294_x_2300_pixel).jpg

Pretty cool to find this yesterday in my haul. Anyone ever had this record? Actually does a great job.
IMG_01072021_210813_(1465_x_2300_pixel).jpg

IMG_01072021_210824_(1164_x_2300_pixel).jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I still have this baby from Sound and Vision Canada. Side one has test tones. Side two has lovely sounding recordings.
20210703_162957.jpg

20210703_163003.jpg

20210703_163034.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Those records are still good. I guess Dr Mark didn't have that album no reply yet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis