lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Somehow I don't think I can buy into Shinola as a brand....maybe I just can't get the shoe polish out of my head.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My temporary 2-channel setup. For now and probably at least a year at this point, it'll be in a bedroom that used to be our daughter's which we use for the occasional family guest now. From the left, the Baltic Birch record stand my son built for me. In the center, a mostly-rebuilt Kenwood KD4100 direct drive TT with an Audio Technica Lab Series LS500 microline M/M cartridge and a Grado M+ mono cartridge. Next to it is my E.A.T. C-Major TT with an Ortofon Quintet Blue m/c cartridge.

Below the Kenwood TT is a Sony BluRay player, which together with the TV is completely separate from the music system. Next to that is my Bluesound Vault 2. Below the E.A.T. TT is an Emotiva USP-1 pre-amp that has an internal phono amp for the Kenwood. On top of the Emotiva is the Schiit Mani phono amp for the E.A.T. TT.

On the low shelf of the Salamander Designs Archetype 3.0 stand is the Carver M-1.5t power amp that drives the KEF Reference 1 speakers. There was a reworked Miller & Kriesel V-90 sub in that corner behind the right speaker, but I took it out because the way the Carver drives those speakers, it wasn't needed.

The acoustic properties of the room are just incredible. Best I've ever had or heard. There will be changes to the electronics as time goes on, but renovations in other parts of the house come before I can do that.
Phono_setup_KM.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My temporary 2-channel setup. For now and probably at least a year at this point, it'll be in a bedroom that used to be our daughter's which we use for the occasional family guest now. From the left, the Baltic Birch record stand my son built for me. In the center, a mostly-rebuilt Kenwood KD4100 direct drive TT with an Audio Technica Lab Series LS500 microline M/M cartridge and a Grado M+ mono cartridge. Next to it is my E.A.T. C-Major TT with an Ortofon Quintet Blue m/c cartridge.

Below the Kenwood TT is a Sony BluRay player, which together with the TV is completely separate from the music system. Next to that is my Bluesound Vault 2. Below the E.A.T. TT is an Emotiva USP-1 pre-amp that has an internal phono amp for the Kenwood. On top of the Emotiva is the Schiit Mani phono amp for the E.A.T. TT.

On the low shelf of the Salamander Designs Archetype 3.0 stand is the Carver M-1.5t power amp that drives the KEF Reference 1 speakers. There was a reworked Miller & Kriesel V-90 sub in that corner behind the right speaker, but I took it out because the way the Carver drives those speakers, it wasn't needed.

The acoustic properties of the room are just incredible. Best I've ever had or heard. There will be changes to the electronics as time goes on, but renovations in other parts of the house come before I can do that.
View attachment 47783
Lucky guests!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Lucky guests!
Right now, it's me & my wife sleeping there! Our master bedroom is in the throes of getting a do-over that's 20 years overdue. LOL

So far, no one has stayed since I put nicer stuff in there, Covid....of course. In the past, only my sister from Victoria TX and my brother from Durham NC. He's coming up in a few months, he's in for a treat. :)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Just the idea of spreading glue on each of my "vinyls" would be a massive undertaking in time and glue. Just not worth it. That kind of time/effort investment is where even something from VPI starts to be attractive....
My only issue with the glue approach would be my own incompetence. @MrBoat is a very handy and competent fellow with his hands and any task he undertakes with them. He could do it and know exactly which kind of glue to use, how much, how to apply it and then how to reverse the process with little or no muss or fuss. I on the other hand would choose the wrong glue in the wrong amount and apply it incorrectly so it never came off or made a hellacious mess. I don't fault the cleaning method. I just know I am cut out for certain types of undertakings and not for others. Like Clint Eastwood said "A man's got to know his limitations"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My only issue with the glue approach would be my own incompetence. @MrBoat is a very handy and competent fellow with his hands and any task he undertakes with them. He could do it and know exactly which kind of glue to use, how much, how to apply it and then how to reverse the process with little or no muss or fuss. I on the other hand would choose the wrong glue in the wrong amount and apply it incorrectly so it never came off or made a hellacious mess. I don't fault the cleaning method. I just know I am cut out for certain types of undertakings and not for others. Like Clint Eastwood said "A man's got to know his limitations"
Chicken. :) Maybe I should find a particularly bad one and try it, tho. I have plenty of Elmer's wood glue around....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Chicken. :) Maybe I should find a particularly bad one and try it, tho. I have plenty of Elmer's wood glue around....
I have and you would be surprised as to how well it works. Tedious as all get out though !

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I used two, 16 oz bottles of glue but I only cleaned my favorites. I will clean the rest as I go, or not. Also got a spin clean to get the static off left by the glue treatment. The albums are significantly improved, like close to new sounding. The trick is putting enough on them in the first place. It was a satisfying procedure, and now it's like starting fresh, with their care forward.

You could see debris in the glue after peeling it off, and I had washed mine previously, before resorting to the glue trick.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This is the place where I used to get all my records and later on CDs as a teen. It was called Sounds and was located on St. Marks St in Manhattan. Alot of the stuff was promo copies of LP/CD. The prices were affordable and it was my go to every Friday after school and later after work and picked up some stuff. They closed in 2015. Pretty sure the rent increases caused it.
Let's see where you went as a teen!
sounds.jpg
SOUNDSRECORDS.2e16d0ba.fill-661x496.jpg
49c12b3512906fb7e0fb39edba7724de.jpg
IMG_22052021_152005_(1875_x_2500_pixel).jpg
sounds (1).jpg

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
This is the place where I used to get all my records and later on CDs as a teen. It was called Sounds and was located on St. Marks St in Manhattan. Alot of the stuff was promo copies of LP/CD. The prices were affordable and it was my go to every Friday after school and later after work and picked up some stuff. They closed in 2015. Pretty sure the rent increases caused it.
Let's see where you went as a teen!
I found that Sound Exchange in Tampa is still open and I was going to the location they moved from almost 40 years ago. I had not been there in at least 30 years, or since a couple years after CD came out. Fair prices and excellent selection of used records, CDs and videos. So now, whenever I have to go by my bank, I stop in there and buy a few. Was like taking a trip back to great times in life. 100x more selection than when I was going there back then.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
since we are talking turntables here's a bit of eye candy to look at !

Yes, that is a Garrard 301 turntable. There seems to be hyperinflation of older British gear from the "Golden Age" of British audio at the moment.

Those Garrard turntables are fetching in the thousands of dollars now and SME series II and III arms are going though the roof as well as Decca ffss cartridges and arms.
Thorens turntables and early Ortofon cartridges are also showing steep rises.

I note that older Quad and Leak equipment prices are now getting to stratospheric heights. I suppose it must be supply and demand. It seems to me that this gear seems to be going like rare jewelry or works of art at the moment. With the exception of my Thorens TD 125 rig, I have owned my turntable gear for a very long time, most of my life in fact. I shudder to think of the current value of my turntable equipment and vintage Quad gear. I know it is all good gear, but all the same I find this hyperinflation in the market value of this gear very surprising and can only guess what is driving it.

I suspect I now need to take out a special insurance policy like you do for jewelry.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Aloha! Got me the biggest massive records haul yet today.✌ Will be awhile that I will shop for vinyl. Got alot of great stuff from alot of different gens! Too many to show, but I'm so happy with what I got. Next I will be looking for some bookshelf to store these. ✌
IMG_24052021_171901_(2800_x_1110_pixel).jpg

Wait I almost forgot. Look at this cool little toy record player for $7.99 I got today. Gotta see if it works. If not cool to see on a shelf. Anyone got one?
IMG_24052021_171921_(1356_x_2200_pixel).jpg
IMG_24052021_171940_(1742_x_1850_pixel).jpg
IMG_24052021_171951_(1647_x_1850_pixel).jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well got me a shelf for FREE! :oops: :D Cleaned it up and looks like new and fits great by the side wall. Also took one shelf off for proper fit for my Records. Thrilled no more records on the floor. :p
Some sexy pics. ;)
IMG_29052021_135427_(1358_x_2500_pixel).jpg
IMG_29052021_135441_(1446_x_2500_pixel).jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis