MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Just a suggestion, 3db why not just make 1 thread titled Vinyl News and just keep adding articles to the 1 thread instead of creating a new thread every other day, that way it keeps all the articles together (less clutter) for the people that are interested in reading the articles. Making a new thread everytime to post a link about the same subject is nonsense.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a suggestion, 3db why not just make 1 thread titled Vinyl News and just keep adding articles to the 1 thread instead of creating a new thread every other day, that way it keeps all the articles together (less clutter) for the people that are interested in reading the articles. Making a new thread everytime to post a link about the same subject is nonsense.
Thanks fior the suggestion Minus. I thought of that but I can't figure how will the readers know whether there has been news added verses defending myself against the usual hate responses I get from a few regulars on this site.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks fior the suggestion Minus. I thought of that but I can't figure how will the readers know whether there has been news added verses defending myself against the usual hate responses I get from a few regulars on this site.
Just post something like this as the title of thread: Vinyl News (updated weekly). That way when people see the thread bumped in the general discussion forum they can check to see if a new article is there. Very simple:).

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Not so fast...

Please note: I despise vinyl due to its inherent flaws, but accept the current situation of the formats. Due to this it is extremely likely I will be purchasing a turntable within the near future.

There is no [or should be no] question that CDs are technically superior to vinyl and have potential for higher sound quality. Ironically, this technical superiority hold CDs current downfall - the ability to increase compression has led to the loudness wars. These 'wars' are not physically possible to the same extent on vinyl because of limitations in the technology. Due to this current issue with CDs and vinyl's 'immunity' to this problem is why vinyl, can and in many cases does, sound better [more lifelike] than CDs. Of course, for the previous statement to be true quality gear must be used along with a well kept album.

Of course there are still high quality recordings being released on CDs, but this practice seems to be falling out of favor in the mainstream being forced to 'audiophile' companies, sadly.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Oh, the kids:D That explains it then:D
They don't want to be like their parents, play CDs so retro is in for now, just like some of their clothe styles and hairdo:D
Wonder when they'll go back to dial up phones
Not to mention bad teeth & polio...:rolleyes:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Wonder when they'll go back to dial up phones
I loved those! I guess that I'm just fond of what I knew as a kid. We had a wall-mounted one when I was growing up, and I'd love to get one like it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Please note: I despise vinyl due to its inherent flaws, but accept the current situation of the formats. Due to this it is extremely likely I will be purchasing a turntable within the near future.

There is no [or should be no] question that CDs are technically superior to vinyl and have potential for higher sound quality. Ironically, this technical superiority hold CDs current downfall - the ability to increase compression has led to the loudness wars. These 'wars' are not physically possible to the same extent on vinyl because of limitations in the technology. Due to this current issue with CDs and vinyl's 'immunity' to this problem is why vinyl, can and in many cases does, sound better [more lifelike] than CDs. Of course, for the previous statement to be true quality gear must be used along with a well kept album.

Of course there are still high quality recordings being released on CDs, but this practice seems to be falling out of favor in the mainstream being forced to 'audiophile' companies, sadly.
Don't be so quick to despise it Andrew. I think the LP record almost defies logic. On the face of it the engineering challenges seem insurmountable. But when the right compromises sum to greater then the sum of the parts, the LP sounds wonderful.

The issue of CD dynamic range compression was addressed at the Amsterdam AES. The problems it causes are worse than you think. Fortunately, I don't have CDs with these problems, as classical engineers use the full dynamic range potential of the CD, which is significantly greater than the LP.

Unfortunately there is a tendency to think older technology not much use. Actually that is usually not so. That is why museums where items are put to work are so important. Museums of working electronics are rare. That is a pity.

When people actually can see what the technology of older generations can achieve they are astonished more often than not. A lot of people when seeing breaker ignition for the first time think it must be pretty useless. Actually a well set up breaker ignition starts and engine quicker and more reliably than the best computerized solid state ignition. My breaker ignitions are set to make my old engines start hair trigger, almost always starting with the first piston to come to compression. All solid state ignitions have to crank the engine for at least a a couple of revolutions and often more. The engine has to have a good cranking speed to. Breaker ignition will start an engine even when the battery is very flat and barely has the power to turn the engine at all. Solid state computer ignition systems can't come close to matching that.

Some could look at it and say intrinsic defects. However those ignitions ran engines that fed the populations during WW II and won the day on land sea and air. Especially on land and in the air. And you can go back further and just look at the power of steam!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good idea to stick to one thread. I still think we should have a vinyl or vintage forum. I'm going to the Audioholics convention in Florida, so I will buttonhole Gene about it. I have tickets and a hotel reservation.

Here is the best site and place for everything to do with turntables.

I can recommend the Needle Doctor without reservation. They are on line and have a storefront in Dinky Town Minneapolis. They have been selling gramophone supplies well before the CD arrived.

This is also a very good site, and they have a good selection of belts.

Don't forget vintage equipment on eBay, although the best of it seems to have been snapped up, especially by Far Easter buyers. A good vintage rig really adds to the nostalgia in my view.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis