davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Picked up Project Carbon EVO last February after my CEC linear tracking TT went on the fritz. Came with the Ortofon Red but I still have an Audio Technica AT-152LP cartridge which on paper has better specs than the Ortofon. It's a p-mount though, so I need to get some proper gauges to align it correctly. I replaced the stock steel platter with the acrylic option. Phono pre-amp in my Denon AVR does just fine. (Need to add a photo)
You can always upgrade that Red to a Blue with just a stylus upgrade.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You can always upgrade that Red to a Blue with just a stylus upgrade.
Yes, I remember reading that the Red and Blue use the same cartridge body. The Audio Technica that I have is a very good cartridge, comparable to the current VM750 or 760. My one regret is that the Project does not have a removable headshell. I like to swap cartridges between my pristine albums and some of the older scratched up ones that I keep for sentimental reasons. I have a second CEC linear tracker that I can use for parts, so may just repair the old one to use with poorer grade vinyl.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I remember reading that the Red and Blue use the same cartridge body. The Audio Technica that I have is a very good cartridge, comparable to the current VM750 or 760. My one regret is that the Project does not have a removable headshell. I like to swap cartridges between my pristine albums and some of the older scratched up ones that I keep for sentimental reasons. I have a second CEC linear tracker that I can use for parts, so may just repair the old one to use with poorer grade vinyl.
The new Audio Technica line has a replaceable stylus the goes from a simple conical all the way up to a line contact. That might be right up your alley.

This VM95 Series cartridge with 0.6 mil conical stylus fits half-inch mount turntables. The cartridge’s special coil design delivers a powerful output level of 4.0 mV. It also offers excellent channel separation and low distortion for outstanding tonal quality. The durable, low-resonance housing includes threaded inserts that enable the cartridge to be mounted to the headshell with just two screws – no nuts required. And since all VM95 Series share the same body, the stylus can be replaced with any of the six interchangeable AT-VMN95 replacement styli.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The stylus for the AT-152LP is still available, although it's aftermarket. The one on lpgear.com is made in Japan and looks to be pretty good quality. I could swap the stylus like with the VM95 series but a bent cantilever will be a $100 mistake. ;) Could also get the Blue stylus for my Ortofon and use the Red for older LPs.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The stylus for the AT-152LP is still available, although it's aftermarket. The one on lpgear.com is made in Japan and looks to be pretty good quality. I could swap the stylus like with the VM95 series but a bent cantilever will be a $100 mistake. ;) Could also get the Blue stylus for my Ortofon and use the Red for older LPs.
Seems like the fixed headshell could make cartridge replacement an ordeal. If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the Ortofon 2M Blue stylus assembly. Taking that route, no need for cartridge alignment, VTA adjustment, or concern for possible wiring damage upon removal/installation of cart bodies. Down the road, if perception of sound improvement draws you to a turntable featuring VTA adjustment and an s-shaped tonearm with detachable headshell, you would be able to quickly and easily accommodate most any cartridge notion. Buy an AT-LH11H Headshell which assures precise cartridge alignment to the turntable manufactures tracking error scheme for even easier cartridge mounting.
51635726510_11850d9baf_c (1).jpg

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ah the vintage V15 type 3. I had one of those on my Technics DD TT back in the late 70s. Another one of my favorite carts that I had the pleasure of owning.
I am so glad I put the 47 year old cart back into service fitted with an SAS-B stylus. Getting proper VTA required a 2mm shim, which meant a need for non-obtainium 18.5mm mounting screws. I finally found 20mm plastic screws in my kit, which I cut to needed length.
51499420326_bdb5c565a3_c.jpg

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well I don't to justify anything to anyone. I have about 2400 LP's and about 2000 CD's if you must know, plus I stream.
Well said ! and BTW, I like your analog rig very much, Manely is a superb phono-pre and I know your Lyra well, my son uses it on his rig. Same TT as yours, only difference, he's using a PASS phono-pre

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I don't to justify anything to anyone. I have about 2400 LP's and about 2000 CD's if you must know, plus I stream.
No, you don't. I just can't imagine spending that much on playback gear for such a medium, unless I had a significantly larger collection that I used a lot....maybe. I don't use vinyl much any more myself and your vinyl collection is triple mine, but I still wouldn't have ever wanted to spend that much on the playback chain.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
No, you don't. I just can't imagine spending that much on playback gear for such a medium
and that's just the point, different strokes for different folks ! Obviously cpp , myself and others here take analog more seriously. After all it is a hobby, like bicycles........ ;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
What ever happened with the new Vinyl HD that was to come out?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
So just for grins lets list the TTs and carts we have owned and when.
Me I started with a
I am so glad I put the 47 year old cart back into service fitted with an SAS-B stylus. Getting proper VTA required a 2mm shim, which meant a need for non-obtainium 18.5mm mounting screws. I finally found 20mm plastic screws in my kit, which I cut to needed length.View attachment 51955
Very nice. How does it sound?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
and that's just the point, different strokes for different folks ! Obviously cpp , myself and others here take analog more seriously. After all it is a hobby, like bicycles........ ;)
LOL was waiting for the bike thing :) Still, I buy bikes that are far more practical than tt jewelry :) IMO of course.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis