This Onkyo tx -nr5009 is a real beast to manage

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
In other news, while analog devices using a composite, S-Video or component video cable connection can have their video signal output from the component monitor output, the onscreen menus are available only when connected to a TV using HDMI. This is an unfortunate limitation for use with an older TV or monitor lacking an HDMI or at least a DVI input port. You will currently have to navigate the menus using just the front panel display.

FD7B370D-E75D-4E83-8534-5A288A034D64.jpeg

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
Tell us about all of the speaker models.
My Front Main speakers are Infinity floor speakers FL & FR, Mirage bookshelf speakers, FHL & FHR, SR & SL, Sony TV speakers SBR & SBL, Mirage brand centre FC and Mirage Powered Subwoofer PS-12-90

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If your speakers are currently in their permanent positions, you have connected them to the correct speaker terminals and you have also set the speaker configuration accordingly, you can try to run Audyssey if you have the included microphone for the system. If you have not done so already, make sure the SB channels are set for 2, not just 1 and set the SUB for 1, not 2 in the speaker configuration settings.Speaking of the subwoofer, set its level to 5 to start and its Low Pass to 150(maximum). Connect it with a single cable into the L or R low level input. Those Sony speakers sound suspect. Were they part of a Home Theater in a box? Those could be troublesome. The model numbers of all of the speakers will be helpful in recommending an appropriate crossover setting for each. Audyssey will set them but you may prefer a manual setting.

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
There are DB9 to HDMI adapter cables which may work for the AVR configuration menu. They are typically used for DB9 conversion to HDMI, so you need to be sure the cable does HDMI to DB9 conversion. Since HDMI carries audio and video, some adapters will have HDMI on one end and DB9 for video with an additional audio connector. You can use a simple adapter for HDMI to DVI because they are both digital but DB9 is analogue which requires a conversion. Highest resolution supported is usually 1080p.

This will likely only work for the receiver's setup menus. Since the connection does not support Digital Rights Management (DRM) it will not pass program material that is copy protected.
Sorry for the confusion but I have a DB15 connector on my LCD monitor, not a DB9 connector.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry for the confusion but I have a DB15 connector on my LCD monitor, not a DB9 connector.
That's ok since the same would still apply to the DB15 connector as it is analogue. Cheapest option mentioned is the DB15 to component cable (red/green/blue) and use the component monitor out connection on the receiver. The one unknown is whether the receiver displays the setup menu on the component monitor out or just on the HDMI out.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, we now know.
In other news, while analog devices using a composite, S-Video or component video cable connection can have their video signal output from the component monitor output, the onscreen menus are available only when connected to a TV using HDMI. This is an unfortunate limitation for use with an older TV or monitor lacking an HDMI or at least a DVI input port. You will currently have to navigate the menus using just the front panel display.

View attachment 61064

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
If your speakers are currently in their permanent positions, you have connected them to the correct speaker terminals and you have also set the speaker configuration accordingly, you can try to run Audyssey if you have the included microphone for the system. If you have not done so already, make sure the SB channels are set for 2, not just 1 and set the SUB for 1, not 2 in the speaker configuration settings.Speaking of the subwoofer, set its level to 5 to start and its Low Pass to 150(maximum). Connect it with a single cable into the L or R low level input. Those Sony speakers sound suspect. Were they part of a Home Theater in a box? Those could be troublesome. The model numbers of all of the speakers will be helpful in recommending an appropriate crossover setting for each. Audyssey will set them but you may prefer a manual setting.
Yes I have all those set appropriately and Audyssey seems happy, except that it steps test tones to the Front Wide channels even though the speakers are not connected.

The Sony speakers are very large and heavy. and were top-of-line XBR 3 series The Sony TV came with speaker terminals and had the option to connect these speakers or my own speakers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Go back into the speaker configuration and see if front wide is set to None. If not, do so.

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
Go back into the speaker configuration and see if front wide is set to None. If not, dohe so.
Now I'm getting into deep water. I'm not sure how to navigate to the speaker configuration.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I have all those set appropriately and Audyssey seems happy, except that it steps test tones to the Front Wide channels even though the speakers are not connected.

The Sony speakers are very large and heavy. and were top-of-line XBR 3 series The Sony TV came with speaker terminals and had the option to connect these speakers or my own speakers.
Not unusual for an audyssey avr to test for speakers that aren't connected, altho that's usually just the first sweep on my various avrs. Do you know the model number of the Sony speakers?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yikes, ok. First, before ever trying to change any settings, always press the RECEIVER button in the REMOTE MODE section of the remote controller. This way other button presses will be for receiver settings rather than input device settings. After pressing the RECEIVER button, press the Setup button. You should see "1.Input/Output" on the display. press the down arrow to move to "2.Speaker Setup" and press ENTER. "Speaker Settings" should be displayed. Arrow down to "Speaker Configuration" and press ENTER. Then, use the down arrow to see the settings for the different speakers. Audyssey will have already made settings for them that you can adjust yourself.

The reason the Sony speakers are of interest is because many speakers made for older TV and Home Theater in a Box setups are 4ohm or even 3ohm speakers made specifically for those systems. They can be murder on other receivers.

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
Yikes, ok. First, before ever trying to change any settings, always press the RECEIVER button in the REMOTE MODE section of the remote controller. This way other button presses will be for receiver settings rather than input device settings. After pressing the RECEIVER button, press the Setup button. You should see "1.Input/Output" on the display. press the down arrow to move to "2.Speaker Setup" and press ENTER. "Speaker Settings" should be displayed. Arrow down to "Speaker Configuration" and press ENTER. Then, use the down arrow to see the settings for the different speakers. Audyssey will have already made settings for them that you can adjust yourself.

The reason the Sony speakers are of interest is because many speakers made for older TV and Home Theater in a Box setups are 4ohm or even 3ohm speakers made specifically for those systems. They can be murder on other receivers.
Sorry, I can't find a model number, but the label shows 8 ohms impedance, normal 15 watts, maximum 30 watts

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok. use a really high crossover for those speakers and mind the volume. I'm flying blind on those Setup settings so the Speaker Configuration may just come up when selecting Speaker Setup or you may have to hunt a bit for it. I believe changing any settings Audyssey made or changing speaker settings will require rerunning it.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Any pics or model number of said speakers , ?? Are you using them for how many channels ?
What tv are you using that lacks hdmi ??

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
Any pics or model number of said speakers , ?? Are you using them for how many channels ?
What tv are you using that lacks hdmi ??
I am using Mirage (Canada) M190 bookshelf speakers for FH (L & R), S (L & R), SW (PS-12-90), FC and the Sony speakers SB (L & R)

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern

That's probably too much to ask. I'm slowly learning how to navigate, so I will only ask when I don't understand something.

I should not be configuring video until I have a HDMI TV. Section 1 seems to be controlling my friend Monitor Out and I would like a little understanding here.

Last edited:
S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
It's all good. Onkyo hasn’t changed the on screen menu procedures too much so I’m familiar. Download that manual to a computer or Smart device and start studying. It will take you to the desired section when tapping hi-lighted pages throughout.
View attachment 61080

[/QUOTE
That's what I need, is a map. Thank you.

Although I would still like to know what HIGH + WIDE is Yes / No means

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis