This Onkyo tx -nr5009 is a real beast to manage

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
My first problem I'm struggling with is that I don't have a TV with HDMI connectivity yet. I would like to see how the configuration is proceeding. I have a 17" LCD computer screen using a db15 (I mistakenly posted as DB9) connector.

Can anyone help me ?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My first problem I'm struggling with is that I don't have a TV with HDMI connectivity yet. I would like to see how the configuration is proceeding. I have a 17" LCD computer screen using a db9 connector.

Can anyone help me ?
You must have a TV with HDMI inputs. We are passed the analog sunset. For reasons of DRM (Digital Rights Management) it is an illegal conversion to convert HDMI to analog. Only stripping audio is legal.

To use that receiver you have to have an up to date TV.

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
Can I use a usb to db15 adapter ?

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Can I use a usb to db9 adapter ?
There are DB9 to HDMI adapter cables which may work for the AVR configuration menu. They are typically used for DB9 conversion to HDMI, so you need to be sure the cable does HDMI to DB9 conversion. Since HDMI carries audio and video, some adapters will have HDMI on one end and DB9 for video with an additional audio connector. You can use a simple adapter for HDMI to DVI because they are both digital but DB9 is analogue which requires a conversion. Highest resolution supported is usually 1080p.

This will likely only work for the receiver's setup menus. Since the connection does not support Digital Rights Management (DRM) it will not pass program material that is copy protected.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Can I use a usb to db9 adapter ?
You are clearly new to this. Your problem is all about money. The producers of content want to be paid. So when you watch or listen via disc stream or cable, the producers of the program want to know you have the credentials to watch it, not just at the start, but believe it or not every 20 msec.

So HDMI with its HDCP codes is a sophisticated and very complex two person identification on a 20 msec basis.

The point you have to understand is that an HDMI connection is continuous two way communication. None of your proposed methods are.

This is all Federal law enacted after the producers of content significantly topped up congressional coffers, otherwise known as 'backhanders".

The best analogy is the Winnie the Pooh episode where he samples a pot of honey, and ends up polishing off the lot, just to make sure that someone had not short changed him by putting some cheese in the bottom of the pot.

So the content producers want to make sure there is no cheese lurking in your system, just honey. It ain't coincidence that money rhymes with honey!

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Gonna’ concur with these fine gents. Menus may be all that is available from a composite component or HDMI conversion cable and adapters to the monitor. Is there really no TV with composite or component input ports in the home?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Gonna’ concur with these fine gents. Menus may be all that is available from a composite component or HDMI conversion cable and adapters to the monitor. Is there really no TV with composite or component input ports in the home?
Even if there was, an HDMI HDCP protected program can not be converted to analog video. That is illegal under the DRM legislation. Only the audio can be stripped. A TV without HDMI is only good for a trip to the recycling center now, unless it is part of a vintage set up with an old VCR for instance.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The HDCP lockdown wasn't what it is now with older devices. I'm assuming that the other devices involved here are also older and have analog connections. Older BD players, consoles and streamers supported HD via component cable connections as does the Onkyo here. As @Eppie mentioned, HDMI to DVI can work if the monitor is equipped. I've gone that route in the past with an older Sony TV and also a projector.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are you having trouble seeing that you can't with the avr's front lcd panel?

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
What are you having trouble seeing that you can't with the avr's front lcd panel?
Well I'm trying to layout the speakers. for which the manual illustrates several 9.2 layouts. I want to use the 9.2-SB/FH with only one subwoofer though. A notation (page 37) says to be sure Front High + Wide is set to No get the configuration I want but then the tone test gets messed up.

I can't get 9.1 SB/FH but the manual says I can get it if I toggle through the SP Layouts available. I just can't see the different layouts. There are lots of other configurations that don't make any sense to me, which also would benefit from graphical interface

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well I'm trying to layout the speakers. for which the manual illustrates several 9.2 layouts. I want to use the 9.2-SB/FH with only one subwoofer though. A notation (page 37) says to be sure Front High + Wide is set to No get the configuration I want but then the tone test gets messed up.

I can't get 9.1 SB/FH but the manual says I can get it if I toggle through the SP Layouts available. I just can't see the different layouts. There are lots of other configurations that don't make any sense to me, which also would benefit from graphical interface
If you don't have a TV with component video or HDMI, I doubt you will see the OSD screen.

That receiver is 12 years old as far as I can tell, so is prior to the analog sunset.

Theoretically you can use a receiver without a TV, but that is a tough hill to climb, especially the set up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Sometimes its less obvious on the lcd panel, but back then it tended to have all the possibilities, but my Onkyo of that time is a bit different and a long time since I've looked at the lcd panel setup (I always have a tv installed with an avr, tho).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It is really difficult to work the settings with just the front panel display in some of the older models. I’ve learned to do it on my newer units but it’s not for the faint of heart.

What exactly is the speaker configuration here? Can’t see where it was asked or said. Two subs is no big deal but are we talking seven speakers and two height speakers? Are talking nine speakers, front wide and no height speakers?

Terminology has changed since Dolby Atmos and DTS:X came around. Auro 3D didn’t help and now Sony is at it with 360 Reality Audio speaker configurations. Stating the desired configuration will be very helpful.

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
It is really difficult to work the settings with just the front panel display in some of the older models. I’ve learned to do it on my newer units but it’s not for the faint of heart.

What exactly is the speaker configuration here? Can’t see where it was asked or said. Two subs is no big deal but are we talking seven speakers and two height speakers? Are talking nine speakers, front wide and no height speakers?

Terminology has changed since Dolby Atmos and DTS:X came arsome ound. Auro 3D didn’t help and now Sony is at it .with 360 Reality Audio speaker configurations. Stating the desired configuration will be very helpful.
My speaker configuration is as follows: Front Main (Left & Right), Front Centre, Front High (Left & Right), Surround (Left & Right), Surround Back (Left & Right, plus one SW. I don't understand what pairing High + Wide is supposed to achieve.

The first step seems to be resetting the AVR. Then I enter some basic information about how many subwoofers I have, High + Wide (I don't know what this means), and BiAmping. I'm then told to place the setup microphone and start running the test tones. The next step is to limit SW level to 75% and then the AVR carries on with the rest of the speakers.

If I say Yes to Wide + High I get test tones getting all mixed up and Sp Detect Err message. If I say No to High + Wide the test tones don't get mixed up and the Front High get test tones while the Front Wide does not get test tones which is what I desire. I then am prompted to save the speaker configuration.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What you have there is what Onkyo called a 9.2 Speaker Layout before new object based configurations came around. Nowadays, that would be considered a 7.1.2 speaker configuration, 7 for the FL, C, FR, SL, SR, SBL and SBR channels, .1 for the LFE channel(SUB) and .2 for the FHL and FHR channels.

You aren’t using FRONT WIDE speakers. There should be no speakers connected to the FRONT WIDE speaker terminals and FRONT HIGH + FRONT WIDE should be set to NO.

BI-AMP means you are using an extra pair of amps for speakers equipped with two sets of terminals. Select NORMAL not BI-AMP.

31A6684C-BA2C-4AA6-BF6D-8DEB6BF8B5DF.jpeg

F2BA64F4-8E45-4688-B360-F272F3A5CE4B.jpeg

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
Well we are on the same page, except it took me several days instead of a few minutes.

Now what ?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Noticed the edit in first post. You might try a converter cable or adapter.
B6F7C98F-5B69-4E17-AD84-A059512A0E5F.jpeg

B22E727E-83A9-4418-BC8F-4B11FEBF88A4.jpeg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis