Will Probably Need to Replace the SR605 at This Point...Can Someone Help Choose a New AVR Based on Specific Needs?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Our trusty Onkyo 605 -- bought new when it was released and never exhibiting a single hiccup until now -- seems to have succumbed to the HDMI OUT failure, as I can no longer see the setup menu on our Samsung 4K screen when I press the SETUP menu on the remote. We only use the setup menu of the receiver to check settings from time to time, so it's not passing 2160p video through from our UHD BD player (it is an HDMI 1.3-compliant device anyway).

In shopping for a new AVR, I have discovered that the landscape seems to be TOTALLY different now -- many features that I used and enjoyed on our Onkyo are, apparently, no longer available on new models like the RZ50, NR6100 and NR7100, and because these are important to me on a day-to-day basis, I may need to look beyond this brand even though I've been a loyal fan for quite some time. We're now in a bad position, because I don't know what brand of AVR actually offers what I need in a receiver, nor if I can get one any time soon.

First, let me share the following models which I have been considering as a replacement:

- Onkyo TX-NR6100 ($799)
- Onkyo TX-NR7100 ($1099)
- Integra DRX 3.4
- Pioneer VSX-LX105 ($850)

I always said that I would want to go with a Denon if I ever moved beyond Onkyo, but I don't know if they offer any of the features I am looking for, and I keep reading reviews that say the Denons don't sound nearly as good as the Onkyos.

Here's the biggest problem, in a nutshell: The 605 we've been running all these years (and it was the same with the 600 I had before that, years ago) offered something called "IntelliVolume," which allowed you to adjust the preamp stage gain for each individual source connected to the receiver, and this ran on a scale from -12dB to +12dB. This allowed for making sources seem louder at lower master volume levels, and it was a feature I really, really appreciated.

Also, the older Onks offered "Listening Mode Presets" for each individual source, and the screen for this menu on my 605 looked like this:

From what I understand, both of these features are no longer offered on the new Onkyos, so while I may be able to live without IntelliVolume, the Listening Mode Preset presents a bigger problem because without it, there will be no way for the receiver to process certain soundtracks on discs containing two-channel stereo or mono soundtracks. So, in other words, if I play a DVD that contains a soundtrack in Dolby Digital stereo surround, the new receivers will simply throw the track into the front left and right main channels without any "Pro Logic II" processing, thus it won't play back properly (with dialogue in the center speaker). We have a lot of DVDs and Blu-rays with these types of soundtracks, or even 2.0 mono tracks, so I need an AVR to be able to process these properly so they are sent to the proper speakers.

It seems the hoopla today regarding these AVRs revolves around buzzwords -- DIRAC Live, ApplePlay, etc. -- but to be honest, I am not interested in any of these applications because I have always set up my receivers manually; I am not going to use a phone app to get the DIRAC calibration system working and spend hours upon hours trying to get the EQ just right, and we do no streaming at all, instead watching all cinema content on discs (DVD, Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray). So what I am looking for in a new receiver is at least 100WPC and solid processing chops (ways to adjust source volume output, process specific signals like two-channel and mono properly, etc.).

Are there ANY brands currently on the market that offer this kind of functionality? Do the Denons have a feature that allows you to adjust the output of each connected source, like Onkyo's IntelliVolume did? Are there listening modes that can be set in the Denons, similar to what you see in the picture above from my Onkyo 605? What about other brands...is the Pioneer VSX-LX105 a worthwhile consideration? Do the Pioneers (I know Pioneer/Onkyo is the same company) offer any features as I am describing, does anyone know?

If I can't find a way to make any new AVR work for my needs, would it be possible to get my 605's HDMI OUT (the only thing that's not functioning properly) repaired somewhere?

Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I always said that I would want to go with a Denon if I ever moved beyond Onkyo, but I don't know if they offer any of the features I am looking for, and I keep reading reviews that say the Denons don't sound nearly as good as the Onkyos.
That's just a bunch of hooey. Not a knock on you. I know a lot of folks say it, but none of them have ever done a proper blind comparison. It's a bit of magical thinking and there's always expectation bias and/or sighted bias involved with those conclusions. In a proper double blind test those differences always melt away and participants don't show a preference one way or the other with electronics and interconnects. It always boils down to speakers when it comes to preference.

Amps and receivers are all designed with the same goal in mind. Transparency and accuracy, and the tech is so well refined now that any type of measurable distortion or metric that could or would impart any audible differences has been pushed down so far below human hearing thresholds that most of the big players have leveled the field in sound quality. The main differences lie in types of eq, room correction software, connectivity and to a lesser extent power.
Are there ANY brands currently on the market that offer this kind of functionality? Do the Denons have a feature that allows you to adjust the output of each connected source, like Onkyo's IntelliVolume did?
There is a way you can do that with Denon/Marantz, yes (they're owned by the same company and share many of the same features. Going forward when I say Denon I mean Marantz also). You can adjust individual speaker output levels differently for each source separately from your main volume and it will save it.
Also, the older Onks offered "Listening Mode Presets" for each individual source, and the screen for this menu on my 605 looked like this:
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean here, but if you mean the sound mode (stereo, multichannel or Dolby) you used last is remembered when you switch sources and switch back it remembers that as well.
I am not going to use a phone app to get the DIRAC calibration system working and spend hours upon hours trying to get the EQ just right
Denon does have room correction (Audyssey MultEQ, your Onkyo might have the same) and an initial setup routine involving an included mic. It only takes 15 minutes to run it and it will set your distances and levels as well as eq for your room. You can turn that off if you don't like it and change the level and distance settings after if you choose. I tend to trust the distance settings tho because it's actually kinda mislabeled and should be thought of as delay. It's not about feet and inches so much as milliseconds so the sound from all speakers arrives at your seat at the same time. Room acoustics and dsp can affect the distance settings to get the timing right.

I prefer Denon or Marantz, but Yamaha make a great receiver too, tho their brand-newest models are still a bit of a question mark due to some dubious specs. Of the 3 Denon (not Marantz) has shown superior specs on paper as far as low distortion, linearity and good preamp output levels rivaling and even out doing some very high end standalone prepros.

I didn't cover all of your points but took a crack at a few of 'em, lol. I'm not sure what you're saying about Dolby stereo surround (it's either stereo or Dolby surround. Can't be both, lol), but I think most modern av receivers will upmix 2.0 stereo to 5.1 Dolby really well and the center is active. I'm not sure if Pro Logic II is a thing anymore tho...

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you; will reply in kind just as soon as I can....

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
That's just a bunch of hooey. Not a knock on you. I know a lot of folks say it, but none of them have ever done a proper blind comparison. It's a bit of magical thinking and there's always expectation bias and/or sighted bias involved with those conclusions. In a proper double blind test those differences always melt away and participants don't show a preference one way or the other with electronics and interconnects. It always boils down to speakers when it comes to preference.

Amps and receivers are all designed with the same goal in mind. Transparency and accuracy, and the tech is so well refined now that any type of measurable distortion or metric that could or would impart any audible differences has been pushed down so far below human hearing thresholds that most of the big players have leveled the field in sound quality. The main differences lie in types of eq, room correction software, connectivity and to a lesser extent power.
I understand what you're saying here; I was just relaying what I have read under YouTube videos and in forums like this one. Seems there are many who can distinguish between the "house sound" of certain brands, irrespective of what kinds of speakers are connected to the amp.

In my case, I don't actually use room correction software or EQ, so I tend to run my systems by actually hearing my speakers' inherent signatures. But, in taking your thoughts into consideration, I'll leave behind any notions of Denons not sounding as good as Onkyos, et al.

There is a way you can do that with Denon/Marantz, yes (they're owned by the same company and share many of the same features. Going forward when I say Denon I mean Marantz also).
Yes, I know they're the same company; D&M Holdings I believe was the umbrella name, unless it still is?

I actually don't care much for the Marantz aesthetics, what with that goofy porthole display window (I actually am a Marantz CD player fan, and use one of their five disc changers in my separate two channel rig; never heard their amps or AVRs, though). Because aesthetics are important to me with gear, I need to take that into consideration. But I appreciate the info...

You can adjust individual speaker output levels differently for each source separately from your main volume and it will save it.
Thank you -- but are you referring to SOURCE volume, like the Onkyos adjusted via IntelliVolume, or individual SPEAKER LEVELS as set in the calibration sections of receivers? If it's the former, how does the adjustment scale run -- do you set it from, say, -12dB to +12dB like the Onkyos were?

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean here, but if you mean the sound mode (stereo, multichannel or Dolby) you used last is remembered when you switch sources and switch back it remembers that as well.
What I mean is, in the old AVRs, there were "Listening Mode Presets" (as seen in the screen grab I provided from my TX-SR605) wherein you could set a playback mode for each type of signal being sent to the receiver.

So, in the example from my pic, you could set "PRO LOGIC II MOVIE" mode when two-channel digital sources are sent and "MONO MOVIE" mode when one-channel digital sources are sent; likewise, for uncompressed PCM soundtracks on Blu-rays, you could process these with "Multichannel" mode on the AVR. The Onkyos would allow you to apply each kind of listening mode depending on the specific kind of signal coming in from, say, a disc player.

From what I understand, this kind of functionality just isn't available anymore on new AVRs.

Denon does have room correction (Audyssey MultEQ, your Onkyo might have the same) and an initial setup routine involving an included mic. It only takes 15 minutes to run it and it will set your distances and levels as well as eq for your room. You can turn that off if you don't like it and change the level and distance settings after if you choose. I tend to trust the distance settings tho because it's actually kinda mislabeled and should be thought of as delay. It's not about feet and inches so much as milliseconds so the sound from all speakers arrives at your seat at the same time. Room acoustics and dsp can affect the distance settings to get the timing right.
I realize every receiver has a setup mic and auto calibration routine -- my current AVR uses the Audyssey 2EQ system, but I never used it because I prefer no EQ in my room and like to set up my speakers manually. I understand how to set the crossovers for each channel, etc.; it just seems like with the new models, these systems like DIRAC Live are SO complicated and I am not going to use my phone to download an app in order to use an auto setup routine. I'd like to know if you can STILL set up a receiver manually.

I prefer Denon or Marantz, but Yamaha make a great receiver too, tho their brand-newest models are still a bit of a question mark due to some dubious specs. Of the 3 Denon (not Marantz) has shown superior specs on paper as far as low distortion, linearity and good preamp output levels rivaling and even out doing some very high end standalone prepros.
I don't care for the aesthetics of the new Yamahas, either, with that hideous oversized volume knob in the center of the front panel, so it's not one I'd consider (I did use their stereo and PLII receivers in the past).

Basically, my brand choices are coming down to Onkyo, Denon or perhaps Pioneer (I know Pioneer is the same company as Onkyo now), but I need to know if the Pioneers and Denons offer some things I'm looking for that the Onkyos do not, apparently, any longer.

I didn't cover all of your points but took a crack at a few of 'em, lol. I'm not sure what you're saying about Dolby stereo surround (it's either stereo or Dolby surround. Can't be both, lol), but I think most modern av receivers will upmix 2.0 stereo to 5.1 Dolby really well and the center is active. I'm not sure if Pro Logic II is a thing anymore tho...
From what I have been reading since posting this, Pro Logic is not in receivers anymore -- it's been replaced by Dolby Surround or Neural X, which supposedly does the same thing. However, you need to manually press buttons on the receiver's remote to engage these once these soundtracks begin playing (two-channel soundtracks I mean); it's not engaged automatically any longer like with the older AVRs.

Let me see if I can explain what I mean regarding the Dolby and surround stuff...

We have a lot of DVDs in our collection that have "Stereo Surround" audio tracks (Dolby Digital), which are two-channel tracks but with encoded matrix information that is processed by (our current) AVR via Pro Logic II Movie mode, sending the dialogue for the track to the center channel and then extracting the surround information as necessary.

We also have a number of old titles on Blu-ray that have either a two-channel stereo or two-channel mono soundtrack encoded in DTS-HD Master Audio, and these, too, need to be decoded properly for playback -- however, the receiver we have now doesn't have the processing power to take DTS-HD MA two-channel signals and send them where they need to be (with 2.0 mono to the center channel only and with 2.0 stereo to the center channel and surround channels), so it just collapses the entire two-channel signal into the two left and right main speakers (in my case, they're Polk RTi12 towers). This creates a weird "combing effect" because the dialogue is coming from those left/right speakers, even if I am smack dab in the middle of the sweet spot, and I was hoping a new receiver would allow these soundtracks to play back from where they SHOULD.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

There is a way you can do that with Denon/Marantz, yes (they're owned by the same company and share many of the same features. Going forward when I say Denon I mean Marantz also). You can adjust individual speaker output levels differently for each source separately from your main volume and it will save it.

@Pogre Where or should I say, did the Denon,Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz thing started on this forum of one sounding better than the other? Lol, I laugh everytime I see a post like that. No need to say all things being equal no one would be able to tell which one was playing in a double blind test.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
@Pogre Where or should I say, did the Denon,Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz thing started on this forum of one sounding better than the other? Lol, I laugh everytime I see a post like that. No need to say all things being equal no one would be able to tell which one was playing in a double blind test.
I wasn't saying I necessarily believe that; I was merely reporting that there are some who have stated under YouTube videos of receiver reviews and on forums that the Onkyo sound is "punchier" or "livelier" than Denon's.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I wasn't saying I necessarily believe that; I was merely reporting that there are some who have stated under YouTube videos of receiver reviews and on forums that the Onkyo sound is "punchier" or "livelier" than Denon's.
Oh no, pun at you I read your post, I've owned, H/K, Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, Kentwood, Pioneer, NAD Pre-Pro and AVR's and Parasound Pre--Amp two channel alone with many amps, speaking for me, All of them sounded the same with all things being equal. Meaning set up the same as I would set all of them to my liking with the same speakers in the same room. I can Not agree that a Denon in my home in my setup would sound any different.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I consider anyone who claims they can tell "brand sound signature" as full of shite. Some of these same numbnuts swear they heard differences in wire and can easily determine a frequency sampling/bit rate too! LOL. I do have both Denon and Onkyo avrs and they're both fine and sound like....avrs (and my Onkyo does have Audyssey XT, just wish it had XT32 instead but that wasn't around yet). As was mentioned, you can control different input levels (what Onkyo calls intellivolume) with the input source volume control (for analog and digital sources separately, so a bit different from my Onkyo but works for my purposes just fine). The Denon and even my Onkyo remember sound modes/preferences (per input) if you don't want to use the basic codec. My Onkyo has some prefererences for sound mode you can set separately from the last used thing, but I have never found those particularly useful in comparison to either using the native codec or what sound mode I prefer for that....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I have a couple of Denon receivers (and a couple of Sony's - I know I'm an audioholic - a sick, sick, man... :cool: ) and the Denons have the functions you are looking for regarding volume setting. (I never bothered to set the Sony receivers but now I'll go look it up and see if it's possible.) I too say Receivers don't sound different Speakers do.

Check out this link under playback.

Denon AVR-X4700 Web Manual

IMHO, Denon offer the best value proposition in the market these days. The gap to others is narrow, but still there.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand what you're saying here; I was just relaying what I have read under YouTube videos and in forums like this one. Seems there are many who can distinguish between the "house sound" of certain brands, irrespective of what kinds of speakers are connected to the amp.
And that was my assumption. We see it over and over here, and it's repeated in a lot of the mediums you mention. Even some of the more well known sites. My goal is only to try and clear up those misconceptions when I see them and I can get a little long winded explaining it, lol.
Thank you -- but are you referring to SOURCE volume, like the Onkyos adjusted via IntelliVolume, or individual SPEAKER LEVELS as set in the calibration sections of receivers? If it's the former, how does the adjustment scale run -- do you set it from, say, -12dB to +12dB like the Onkyos were?
I knew we were gonna revisit this one. No, what I'm referring to is different from the trim levels found under "speaker settings" from the "setup" button. I think it serves the same function as IntelliVolume, but it's labeled "Channel Level Adjust" reached by pressing the "option" button. It brings up a separate menu where you can add or cut +12 or -12 dB from the default "0" for each speaker, and it will save whatever you boost or cut for each source.
We have a lot of DVDs in our collection that have "Stereo Surround" audio tracks (Dolby Digital), which are two-channel tracks but with encoded matrix information that is processed by (our current) AVR via Pro Logic II Movie mode, sending the dialogue for the track to the center channel and then extracting the surround information as necessary.
This one is above my pay grade. I'm not very well versed on sound codecs and how they work. @William Lemmerhirt is usually pretty good with that stuff tho. Maybe we can get him to pop in.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have a couple of Denon receivers (and a couple of Sony's - I know I'm an audioholic - a sick, sick, man... :cool: ) and the Denons have the functions you are looking for regarding volume setting. (I never bothered to set the Sony receivers but now I'll go look it up and see if it's possible.) I too say Receivers don't sound different Speakers do.

Check out this link under playback.

Denon AVR-X4700 Web Manual

IMHO, Denon offer the best value proposition in the market these days. The gap to others is narrow, but still there.
Yeah that Denon 4700H is nice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I knew we were gonna revisit this one. No, what I'm referring to is different from the trim levels found under "speaker settings" from the "setup" button. I think it serves the same function as IntelliVolume, but it's labeled "Channel Level Adjust" reached by pressing the "option" button. It brings up a separate menu where you can add or cut +12 or -12 dB from the default "0" for each speaker, and it will save whatever you boost or cut for each source.
Go to your Setup - Inputs - Source Level for the somewhat equivalent to intellivolume thing. It's for the input as a whole, not individual channels....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also curious if the GUI is the only problem with the 605 currently. Everything else functions?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Go to your Setup - Inputs - Source Level for the somewhat equivalent to intellivolume thing. It's for the input as a whole, not individual channels....
And there's another way to do it that I didn't think of! :p I always just use the option button because I only ever change my subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
And there's another way to do it that I didn't think of! :p I always just use the option button because I only ever change my subs.
My Denon doesn't do much with the options button....my Onkyo has a quick menu I can do sub level in (and IIRC only temporarily for the session); my Denon 4520 does not have that in options, but can go to Setup-Audio for a separate sub level tweak without going into speaker setup....

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Wow...didn't expect this many replies this quickly, fellas...thanks...

I will reply in kind to each of you just as soon as I can, but in the meantime, let me say my Onkyo is from 07/08 so, yes, we definitely got our money's worth.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My Denon doesn't do much with the options button....
My Marantz doesn't have a ton of options under options either, but it does have a channel level adjust that's +/- 12dB separate from the trim levels and it saves what you change for each source.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis