Think I could use help running my Crown XLS 1502's correctly

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Great thread.

I was thinking of buying some Crown amps just to see if some more juice, in tandem with my Yamaha AVR, would be game changer, sound wise. The affordability of the Crown's didn't hurt either. :p

Now I'm starting to have my doubts. Maybe I should just stay in my lane with solid state gear.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I understood that, just questioning whether the Crown might be as safe as an AVR without the ground - which might be the case if they only added the ground because of the more dangerous "on-the-road" treatment that pro gear sees.
GrimSurfer is pretty convinced that there are fundamental differences in the design of the pro amp that require the ground to maintain safety in the home environment. I am inclined to believe him.
Yeah, I understood you understood once I got past your initial post on the lifting of the ground which wasn't clear. Couldn't tell you about the design of the Crown in regards to the ground. Couldn't tell you if grim has a point, I often find he doesn't.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Great thread.

I was thinking of buying some Crown amps just to see if some more juice, in tandem with my Yamaha AVR, would be game changer, sound wise. The affordability of the Crown's didn't hurt either. :p

Now I'm starting to have my doubts. Maybe I should just stay in my lane with solid state gear.
Crowns are solid state gear....you mean consumer amps? I've happily used mine for many years (think I bought them in 2011/2012...no issues other than a house I used to live in where the cable company installed a second ground (at least that was observed, and from what I read the likely culprit).

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay fellas got some news

Thanks to your advice I unplugged the Emotiva and put the Crowns directly into the wall.

Still got the hum

But when I listened to the speaker more closely I realized it's not coming from the tweeter. There's no noise from the tweeter at all.

But a lot of noise is coming from the midrange driver below the tweeter which is why I mistook it for the tweeter lack of knowledge and too much bias from info I'd read I failed to investigate more closely

A lot of the hum is coming from the speakers underneath the tweeter.
20190318_141850.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Great thread.

Well, if you have a Yamaha AVR, then you must buy a Yamaha PX3 amp for Synergy. LOL. :eek: :D

But seriously, if you always wanted to try, you can order one from Amazon and return if it doesn't work out.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That midrange driver is where I'm hearing it I thought since I was using this to plug them both into the wall20190318_142112.jpg

It might be the problem but when I plug them both directly into the wall same hum

When I remove the Rica's from the crowns no hum plug them back in there is a hum

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Okay fellas got some news

Thanks to your advice I unplugged the Emotiva and put the Crowns directly into the wall.

Still got the hum

But when I listened to the speaker more closely I realized it's not coming from the tweeter. There's no noise from the tweeter at all.

But a lot of noise is coming from the midrange driver below the tweeter which is why I mistook it for the tweeter lack of knowledge and too much bias from info I'd read I failed to investigate more closely

A lot of the hum is coming from the speakers underneath the tweeter.
View attachment 28733

Good work. Is the hum coming from one or both speakers? Now what is the pitch (frequency) of the hum?

Ricas?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I'm not sure what this means this must be the dreaded ground loop I'm thinking now I guess I just have to isolate it right?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Good work. Is the hum coming from one or both speakers? Now what is the pitch (frequency) of the hum?
It's coming from all 3 towers and it seems loudest from all 3 midrange speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That midrange driver is where I'm hearing it I thought since I was using this to plug them both into the wallView attachment 28734

It might be the problem but when I plug them both directly into the wall same hum

When I remove the Rica's from the crowns no hum plug them back in there is a hum
What are Rica's?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Ricas?
It's not a high pitch whine more like a lower just hum that is constantly there like the hum of a computer running in the background you know that humming sound electronics used to make?

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
It's not a high pitch whine more like a lower just hum that is constantly there like the hum of a computer running in the background you know that humming sound electronics used to make?
Download test tones and try to determine the frequency. I'm not sending you on a snipe hunt... it will really help in diagnosis.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keeps sounding like ground loop hum so far....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Download test tones and try to determine the frequency. I'm not sending you on a snipe hunt... it will really help in diagnosis.
How do I or where do I download them and just for learning how does it help diagnose this? Even though this is a problem I'm really learning a lot from you guys sounds crazy but I'm grateful

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
No worries. I started a thread last night that auto corrected "D ick" Dale (renowned guitarist, recently passed) to call him a helmet head.

I was expecting to see his road crew at the door this morning!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My onkyo has preouts in my bedroom I think I want to move them over and plug them in to it to see if it's not coming from the Crowns would this be a good idea?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt the avr is the root of the problem but moving stuff around might tell you something (like using the Crowns in your bedroom).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis