Think I could use help running my Crown XLS 1502's correctly

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
No it's an avr so unbalanced plan on going to separates just not yet
Yup. That's what I figured. Might be picking up some noise there...

Where is the AVR located relative to the amp? Above, below, close, far etc.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hum is low frequency noise, inaudible from a tweeter.
Hmmmm interesting this noise is coming from the tweeter you put your ear up to it you can hear it but it does sound more like a hum not a hiss. Also you can hear it from pretty far back as well

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yup. That's what I figured. Might be picking up some noise there...

Where is the AVR located relative to the amp? Above, below, close, far etc.
20190318_003743.jpg
They are sitting on top of the av rack so I can switch back and forth between them and the Emotiva the AVR is on the bottom of the rack the 2 Emotiva above it the crown are on top of the rack for now above all of them

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hmmmm interesting this noise is coming from the tweeter you put your ear up to it you can hear it but it does sound more like a hum not a hiss. Also you can hear it from pretty far back as well
And the sound goes up and down when you use the gain knobs on the Crowns but not the volume knob on the reciever.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
And the sound goes up and down when you use the gain knobs on the Crowns but not the volume knob on the reciever.
So if you disconnect the RCA's and have no input into the amp, will you still get the hiss? If so, then it's inherent to the amp itself and you might not be able to eliminate it.

I had the XLS1000 last year and compared to the 2200's and the Yamaha integrated, it had the most prominent idle hiss. But I couldn't hear it unless I had my ear to the tweeter, so for me it was a non-issue. But if you can hear it at a distance it comes down to resolving it or not keeping those amps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From my little experience of using both the Gen1 and Gen2 Crown XLS amps:

1. The hissing sound from tweeters is not audible from a few feet away, so it's not an issue to me.

2. I prefer to set the Gain on the Crown amp at 100% MAX (which I think is about 28dB Gain) and the volume on the AVR low. Always worked for me. :D

3. When the Gain Level (like 28dB or 32dB) on the Pro amp is the same as the Gain on the Consumer Amp, the sound quality is about the same to me.

Notice how Yamaha shows the Volume/Gain of the PX3 Pro Amp set to 100% or 0dB on the LCD?

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My point is that hum is low frequency, hiss is high frequency- it's a matter of definition but if you can hear any hum from the tweeter, it should also be audible from the woofer or midrange driver.

If the hum is only there when the amp is connected to the AVR and gone when disconnected, you have a ground loop or it's picking it up from something that's radiating RF/EMI.

You should be able to set the input level so the noises are inaudible without losing output power.

How loud does it need to be?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My point is that hum is low frequency
Yeah, if we're talking about HUM noise, that's a totally different animal than a little hissing noise from the tweeters.

I cannot stand hum noise, which is usually louder and audible from farther distances.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, if we're talking about HUM noise, that's a totally different animal than a little hissing noise from the tweeters.

I cannot stand hum noise, which is usually louder and audible from farther distances.
That's what it is a humming and you can hear it from farther back away

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My point is that hum is low frequency, hiss is high frequency- it's a matter of definition but if you can hear any hum from the tweeter, it should also be audible from the woofer or midrange driver.

If the hum is only there when the amp is connected to the AVR and gone when disconnected, you have a ground loop or it's picking it up from something that's radiating RF/EMI.

You should be able to set the input level so the noises are inaudible without losing output power.

Not very from my use of them good powerful little amps.
So if you disconnect the RCA's and have no input into the amp, will you still get the hiss? If so, then it's inherent to the amp itself and you might not be able to eliminate it.

I had the XLS1000 last year and compared to the 2200's and the Yamaha integrated, it had the most prominent idle hiss. But I couldn't hear it unless I had my ear to the tweeter, so for me it was a non-issue. But if you can hear it at a distance it comes down to resolving it or not keeping those amps.
I'll try that thanks let you know off its there or not

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I'm just worried it's a ground loop now not tweeter noise which is a whole different animal you guys have given me some really good ideas I'm gonna play with it for a bit then I'll get back to you

highfigh

highfigh

I'm just worried it's a ground loop now not tweeter noise which is a whole different animal you guys have given me some really good ideas I'm gonna play with it for a bit then I'll get back to you
But again, if it's a ground loop, you'll definitely hear it and whatever comes from the tweeter will be insignificant, by comparison.

highfigh

highfigh

I don't like ANY noise, which is the reason I was so geeked when CD players finally came out. I listened to them for two years at CES before they finally stopped taunting us. Sometimes, it's unavoidable, but mostly, it's possible to remove it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's what it is a humming and you can hear it from farther back away
Ouch. That's usually ground loop hum. That's one very bad risk of all power amps.

I used to have ground loop hum at my previous house.

Nothing I did could eliminate that hum noise. So I got desperate and used that $2 "cheater plug" from Walmart, which basically removes the GROUND (that 3rd Round Prong on the power cord) from the equation, which is not recommended by any electricians. :D

All the AVRs I've ever owned (Denon AVR-5308) and also the Yamaha MX-A5200 11Ch Amps don't even have a GROUND on the plug (2-Prong only). So that's why you don't get that nasty Ground Loop Hum.

But all the external Amps I've used have the 3-prong plug.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ouch. That's usually ground loop hum. That's one very bad risk of all power amps.

Nothing I did could eliminate that hum noise. So I got desperate and used that $2 "cheater plug" from Walmart, which basically removes the GROUND from the equation, which is not recommended by any electricians. :D
If I had 2 I might do that if desperate enough it's weird tho when I run both Emotivas no hum the Crowns I get the hum. And what a hum it is. Lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I had 2 I might do that if desperate enough it's weird tho when I run both Emotivas no hum the Crowns I get the hum. And what a hum it is. Lol
The Emo's have 3-Prong or 2-Prong removable cords?

At the back of the Amp, is there 2 prongs or 3 prongs?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just get some cheater plugs to see if that's the issue. They're not good permanent solutions due added risk.
Can someone who knows electronics discuss the risk?!
I am loathe to ever remove a safety feature!
On the other hand, a pro amp is intended for use in some pretty dicey situations (dragging equipment over cords, rain at outdoor concert, etc) and as ADTG pointed out they are not usually used for home consumer audio gear.

So that begs the question:
"Is there a fundamental difference between the design of the Crowns and your AVR, or is the ground there purely due to the additional risks posed by the pro audio environment?"

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Nothing I did could eliminate that hum noise. So I got desperate and used that $2 "cheater plug" from Walmart, which basically removes the GROUND (that 3rd Round Prong on the power cord) from the equation, which is not recommended by any electricians. :D

All the AVRs I've ever owned (Denon AVR-5308) and also the Yamaha MX-A5200 11Ch Amps don't even have a GROUND on the plug (2-Prong only). So that's why you don't get that nasty Ground Loop Hum.

But all the external Amps I've used have the 3-prong plug.
That’s one way to avoid hum. That Yamaha Amp uses the 2 prong. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis