The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man even though the haunting of hill house only can be upmixed DTS did such a good job. There was this scene where something was knocking to be let in and these two female actors wouldn't open the door and the thing starts knocking all over the place in the room

Man it sounded like knocking was coming behind me then above me then off to the right to the left at the front door

It scared the poop out of me

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Is Rebecca Ferguson in it? :D

Okay had to turn it off last night we had a huge thunderstorm in this area so I wasn't taking any chances but just finished bloodshot it was BADASS really liked it good suggestion GREAT SOUND and AWESOME visuals and special effects superb good story too one of the better Vin Diesel movies I've seen in a while

I'm going to put in this one Fantasy Island a spinoff but with a horror twist I'll tell you what I think

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay had to turn it off last night we had a huge thunderstorm in this area so I wasn't taking any chances but just finished bloodshot it was BADASS really liked it good suggestion GREAT SOUND and AWESOME visuals and special effects superb good story too one of the better Vin Diesel movies I've seen in a while

I'm going to put in this one Fantasy Island a spinoff but with a horror twist I'll tell you what I think
Alright I used to really love Fantasy Island as a boy.

This is a really cool spin on it and it was surprisingly pretty good

I liked this movie way more then I thought I would

The atmos effects even on an upmix were surprisingly good used more then Dr Sleep which was mixed as an Atmos movie

The story doesn't take itself too seriously you have fun with it but it's still way better then I thought it would the characters were very well done

The visuals were good

Bass was great soundtrack overall very good had some nice dynamics in this movie

It's definetly going in the collection

This and Snatchers were my surprise horrer comedies of the year so far

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Will have to check out “Fantasy Island“ when it’s available in 4K ATMOS. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Will have to check out “Fantasy Island“ when it’s available in 4K ATMOS. :D
With the current state of things I wonder how many of these will be available remixed to that level?

I'm just glad there still good movies to watch period right now

I still watch a lot of 1080p and the upmixr on the Anthem AVM 60 is really really good so I don't always wait

I don't have enough patience :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Alright I used to really love Fantasy Island as a boy.

This is a really cool spin on it and it was surprisingly pretty good

I liked this movie way more then I thought I would

The atmos effects even on an upmix were surprisingly good used more then Dr Sleep which was mixed as an Atmos movie

The story doesn't take itself too seriously you have fun with it but it's still way better then I thought it would the characters were very well done

The visuals were good

Bass was great soundtrack overall very good had some nice dynamics in this movie

It's definetly going in the collection

This and Snatchers were my surprise horrer comedies of the year so far
Man, I used to Love that show even though as a kid I noticed the “formula”.

Great stuff, excited to check the film version.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man, I used to Love that show even though as a kid I noticed the “formula”.

Great stuff, excited to check the film version.
I love the horror comedy twist it really played out better then I thought it would

I loved those cult underground bmovie horror comedies from back in the 80's

Man been seeing some good throwback new ones lately brings back some great memories

Snatchers was another surprise I liked if you like that B movie horror comedy vibe

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I love the horror comedy twist it really played out better then I thought it would

I loved those cult underground bmovie horror comedies from back in the 80's

Man been seeing some good throwback new ones lately brings back some great memories

Snatchers was another surprise I liked if you like that B movie horror comedy vibe
YeH, I watched a lot of b horror films when I was a kid. 10,000 manics, the stuff, the hitcher, the changing, and I can’t count how many times I watched Creepshow. You name it, I probably saw it.
Watched faces of death a lot too. That poop sticks with a guy, since it’s real.
Anyway, I used to love the old horror stuff.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
YeH, I watched a lot of b horror films when I was a kid. 10,000 manics, the stuff, the hitcher, the changing, and I can’t count how many times I watched Creepshow. You name it, I probably saw it.
Watched faces of death a lot too. That poop sticks with a guy, since it’s real.
Anyway, I used to love the old horror stuff.
Dude faces of Death I'll never forget the first time I saw them

Remember the Blob, Phantoms Toxic Avenger Reanimator bro I could go on and on! Good stuff!

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hello all,

Considering the vast attention and Atmos enthusiasts in this thread, maybe I might be able to ask a humble question that is likely to have been asked a mite too many times?

In-Ceiling 6~8" woofers for Atmos or On-Ceiling 5.25~6.5" Bookshelves suspended for Atmos?

Thank you for your thoughts and experience!

I'm super curious about watching Master & Commander, Aquaman and Ready Player One with Atmos!

Very best,

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello all,

Considering the vast attention and Atmos enthusiasts in this thread, maybe I might be able to ask a humble question that is likely to have been asked a mite too many times?

In-Ceiling 6~8" woofers for Atmos or On-Ceiling 5.25~6.5" Bookshelves suspended for Atmos?

I'm super curious about watching Master & Commander, Aquaman and Ready Player One with Atmos!

Very best,
I use 8" woofers for my 4 in-ceiling ATMOS speakers.

Bigger drivers generally have more dynamics, sensitivity, and power handling.

I think it's more important if your ceiling height is over 10FT. The farther away the speakers, the more volume you will need from those in-ceiling speakers to compete with your main speakers, which might be much bigger and more dynamic.

I think the main issue with ATMOS/DTSX and all In-ceiling sound effects is being able to actually HEAR them enough.

I've seen so many Atmos movies in commercial theaters (before COVID-19). And I was NEVER able to actually HEAR much in-ceiling sound from any of those commercial theaters because the other bed speakers are so loud and the in-ceiling speaker levels aren't loud enough.

There is no replacement for displacement. Bigger drivers usually = more dynamics.

However, hypothesis aside, in the real world, it probably doesn't matter significantly. :D

But personally, I would still always choose 8" woofers for my Atmos speakers, instead of smaller drivers.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
But personally, I would still always choose 8" woofers for my Atmos speakers, instead of smaller drivers.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Do you have any experience with a 8" woofer in-ceiling versus a 6.5" or 8" bookshelf speaker mounted to the ceiling firing down? I imagine the enclosure helps with efficiency to get the volume up compared to an unenclosed in-ceiling speaker?

Very best,

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Do you have any experience with a 8" woofer in-ceiling versus a 6.5" or 8" bookshelf speaker mounted to the ceiling firing down? I imagine the enclosure helps with efficiency to get the volume up compared to an unenclosed in-ceiling speaker?

Very best,
The salient factor will be the LOCATION of the Atmos speakers- directly above you is best.

The Atmos sound effects will probably be better if the location is closer and right above you, instead of farther away from you on the side of the room.

I assume the bookshelf speakers will be mounted on the side or rear of the room and not directly above the listening position?

If the bookshelf speakers are mounted directly above you on the ceiling, then I would say it will be at least as good as the ceiling speakers, if not better than the ceiling speakers.

So again, it's the LOCATION of the Atmos speakers that probably matter most.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hello all,

Very best,
I generally agree with AGDTG here but will add that especially with regard to ceiling height, you should use speakers with wide dispersion. This is especially important with lower ceilings and multiple seats. Finding these specs can be almost impossible, but I believe most IC speakers of any decent quality would share this trait. So for me, as well, I’d play the long game with the larger speaker. But I know in your case just installing the smaller BS speakers to test with might be smarter. I went head first and straight to IC with RSL c34e’s.

I like your movie choices too. But will add that M&C should be watched on DVD with the DTS track and upmixed. What happened was in future releases. They neutered the LFE track with a 30hz filter. Respectfully, your current subs will appreciate that, but in the future, after you upgrade them, you’ll want to remember that.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
The salient factor will be the LOCATION of the Atmos speakers- directly above you is best.

The Atmos sound effects will probably be better if the location is closer and right above you, instead of farther away from you on the side of the room.

I assume the bookshelf speakers will be mounted on the side or rear of the room and not directly above the listening position?

If the bookshelf speakers are mounted directly above you on the ceiling, then I would say it will be at least as good as the ceiling speakers, if not better than the ceiling speakers.

So again, it's the LOCATION of the Atmos speakers that probably matter most.
Thanks, I am very curious about an in-ceiling speaker vs an on-ceiling bookshelf in the same position simply mounted to fire down and whether having a cabinet will make it more efficient than an unenclosed radiator in the roof. It makes sense that the closer it is, the better for efficiency in a sense. And that seems to give a nod to bookshelf speakers being mounted because they can be mounted off the ceiling, closer to the listening position and have a cabinet, so they would essentially do similar to a pair of near field bookshelves I imagine. Should get plenty loud in that sense. Maybe this is the way to go? As long as they're not so low that one stands up and busts one's head open on one?

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I generally agree with AGDTG here but will add that especially with regard to ceiling height, you should use speakers with wide dispersion. This is especially important with lower ceilings and multiple seats. Finding these specs can be almost impossible, but I believe most IC speakers of any decent quality would share this trait. So for me, as well, I’d play the long game with the larger speaker. But I know in your case just installing the smaller BS speakers to test with might be smarter. I went head first and straight to IC with RSL c34e’s.

I like your movie choices too. But will add that M&C should be watched on DVD with the DTS track and upmixed. What happened was in future releases. They neutered the LFE track with a 30hz filter. Respectfully, your current subs will appreciate that, but in the future, after you upgrade them, you’ll want to remember that.
Thanks, this is very good to know. After testing, I think it would be nicer to have larger in-ceiling speakers like 8" in size, but I think simply mounting some bookshelves for initial testing will at least provide a taste before committing to cutting the roof.

Yes, my poor entry subs will not do much below 30hz with any authority, so that will be the next project to tackle after moving into the new place and having the room to play more with. Before doing that, I really want to get a good system to do some REW to put some metrics to the experience, not for perfection, but simply to understand better what's going on and when I change or add something, being able to see a metric will help confirm or abbolish any anecdotal experience I create and cling to for myself.

Very best,

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, I am very curious about an in-ceiling speaker vs an on-ceiling bookshelf in the same position simply mounted to fire down and whether having a cabinet will make it more efficient than an unenclosed radiator in the roof. It makes sense that the closer it is, the better for efficiency in a sense. And that seems to give a nod to bookshelf speakers being mounted because they can be mounted off the ceiling, closer to the listening position and have a cabinet, so they would essentially do similar to a pair of near field bookshelves I imagine. Should get plenty loud in that sense. Maybe this is the way to go? As long as they're not so low that one stands up and busts one's head open on one?

Very best,
That would be my preferred way to go external bookshelves will usually I say usually give better extension dynamics and performance per DOLLAR then what you'd spend on in ceilings

Combined with the fact that you can aim all of them precisely where you want them to go to give listening positions the best experience

Combined with the fact you don't have to cut holes out of your ceiling just run a wire through it if you make a mistake in setup repositioning is a whole lot easier

That's the way Id prefer to go but alas due to FAF family acceptance factor I had to go with in ceilings and can only look at some one in your position with envy and pure unadulterated jealousy LOL

Also you need to factor ceiling height like ADTG said too close to you and they'll hotspot and actually compete with your other speakers instead of creating a balanced immersive sound

But if your ceilings are high enough then that's how It love to do it

Also like ADTG said I like bigger woofers no replacement for displacement

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis