The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
That would be my preferred way to go external bookshelves will usually I say usually give better extension dynamics and performance per DOLLAR then what you'd spend on in ceilings

Combined with the fact that you can aim all of them precisely where you want them to go to give listening positions the best experience

Combined with the fact you don't have to cut holes out of your ceiling just run a wire through it if you make a mistake in setup repositioning is a whole lot easier

That's the way Id prefer to go but alas due to FAF family acceptance factor I had to go with in ceilings and can only look at some one in your position with envy and pure unadulterated jealousy LOL

Also you need to factor ceiling height like ADTG said too close to you and they'll hotspot and actually compete with your other speakers instead of creating a balanced immersive sound

But if your ceilings are high enough then that's how It love to do it

Also like ADTG said I like bigger woofers no replacement for displacement
Thanks, that's helpful! I will not have to worry about acceptance, I have a pre-WW2 nuclear house hold in that sense (that we both wanted and maintain), so this room is my room to do as I please with. I really do like the idea of speakers in cabinets, like bookshelves with placement simplicity with mounting brackets and the ability to aim them, rather than really large 8 inch or larger woofers and just hope for the best. I watched a few install videos and while it seems easy enough to install an in-ceiling, man, it just looks like a hot mess without a cabinet, exposed electronics, etc. I would certainly rather be able to move them as needed and patch a few small holes, rather than just live with 4x or more massive 8+ inch holes.

Very best,

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I am very curious about an in-ceiling speaker vs an on-ceiling bookshelf in the same position simply mounted to fire down and whether having a cabinet will make it more efficient than an unenclosed radiator in the roof. It makes sense that the closer it is, the better for efficiency in a sense. And that seems to give a nod to bookshelf speakers being mounted because they can be mounted off the ceiling, closer to the listening position and have a cabinet, so they would essentially do similar to a pair of near field bookshelves I imagine. Should get plenty loud in that sense. Maybe this is the way to go? As long as they're not so low that one stands up and busts one's head open on one?

Very best,
Yep. Just don’t bust your head on the Atmos speakers. :D

I think in-ceiling, just like in-wall, is mainly for aesthetics. As long as the bookshelf is in the same location as the in-ceiling, I think it will probably be even better.

I would like these SV831 bookshelf speakers mounted on my ceiling please. :D

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic

I think in-ceiling, just like in-wall, is mainly for aesthetics. As long as the bookshelf is in the same location as the in-ceiling, I think it will probably be even better.

I would like these bookshelf speakers mounted on my ceiling please. :D

Yaaassssssssss!

Agreed, I think this is something to try when I get the new AVR and the room up.

Very best,

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I would like these SV831 bookshelf speakers mounted on my ceiling please. :D

Hey have you seen that movie The Man from Nowhere on Amazon Prime?

It's foreign so you'll need to use English subtitles but man it's one of the better movies Ive seen in a long time it sounded fantastic upmix ed as well

So worth the watch so badass

You gotta check it out when u have time. Tell me what you think

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

It's foreign so you'll need to use English subtitles but man it's one of the better movies Ive seen in a long time it sounded fantastic upmix ed as well

Was looking at imdb for The Man From Nowhere....there's quite a few, and appears at least a couple foreign so guess I'll find out which one when I go look for it in Amazon Prime :) https://www.imdb.com/find?q=the+man+from+nowhere&ref_=nv_sr_sm

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I will check it out using DTSX. :D

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I submitted a response too, but fully expect no response or a canned one at the most....Auro 3d is looking better every day to me.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Was looking at imdb for The Man From Nowhere....there's quite a few, and appears at least a couple foreign so guess I'll find out which one when I go look for it in Amazon Prime :) https://www.imdb.com/find?q=the+man+from+nowhere&ref_=nv_sr_sm
Wow. Didn’t realize there are that many movies with the same title! :eek:

I assume it’s the 2010 Korean version with ENG subs, right @Danzilla31 ? :D

The premise seems a little bit like “The Equalizer“ - bada$$ widower with mysterious past saves young girl from drug gang. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow. Didn’t realize there are that many movies with the same title! :eek:

I assume it’s the 2010 Korean version with ENG subs, right @Danzilla31 ? :D

The premise seems a little bit like “The Equalizer“ - bada$$ widower with mysterious past saves young girl from drug gang. :D

That's the one!

Damn Lovin I never realized there were so many titles the one ACDTG found is the right one!

In my opinion it's better then the Equalizer

Just in my opinion though

I need to wait for my fellow critics on Audioholics Lol :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
News Flash

Man Gene you know what really ticks me off about this?

It's not like we're going through enough crap as it is with this pandemic tough times for everyone and Dolby wants to pull a d@$ck move in my opinion like this?

I wonder what is there motivation? Maybe u or other members could help me understand what they hope to gain by doing this?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Man Gene you know what really ticks me off about this?

It's not like we're going through enough crap as it is with this pandemic tough times for everyone and Dolby wants to pull a lord helmet move in my opinion like this?

I wonder what is there motivation? Maybe u or other members could help me understand what they hope to gain by doing this?
That Demon 3600 model is the same one where NeuralX upmixer can’t upmix Dolby sources. (Even though Dolby lifted the restriction, not sure Denon did a firmware update).

Last edited:
D

DJ7675

Audioholic
I find upmixing 2 chanel music with Auro 3D to be really good. If your receiver has this mode, be sure to try it. Like Gene said, the center channel is overpowering using DSU without something like Centerspread or some other change like reducing the center level. To me Auro 3D upmixer for music sounds good, FWIW

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I find upmixing 2 chanel music with Auro 3D to be really good. If your receiver has this mode, be sure to try it. Like Gene said, the center channel is overpowering using DSU without something like Centerspread or some other change like reducing the center level. To me Auro 3D upmixer for music sounds good, FWIW
I’ve seen a few reports that support this. I don’t have an AVR with Auro, nor the speaker layout. To me since Auro is doa content wise, I just stuck with Top front/rear. I do have center spread in DSU, and I’ve found it to be very good. I did like pliix music slightly more overall, except when it would place an instrument in a weird location. That wasn’t often though. Hopefully my AVR doesn’t pull an update in the middle of the night!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's the one!

Damn Lovin I never realized there were so many titles the one ACDTG found is the right one!

In my opinion it's better then the Equalizer

Just in my opinion though

I need to wait for my fellow critics on Audioholics Lol :D
Started to watch it but it wasn't playing correctly, guess my ISP wasn't happy with the feed or something as it was stuttering, will try again later....and yeah I figured out it was the 2010 Korean one :)

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
News Flash

Ouch. This is sad. Auromatic stands alone as the only usable (in my opinion) upmixer for 2 channel music among the big three.

I’ve seen a few reports that support this. I don’t have an AVR with Auro, nor the speaker layout.
You don't need a special speaker layout. For most popular music (that wasn't recorded in a concert hall, etc) you'll probably find Auromatic 2D better anyway, it simply uses your 5.1 base layer. It's very subtle, leaving the front soundstage intact very well (better than DSU even with center spread on) and isn't as aggressive as DSU (which sometimes puts instruments back there that don't belong).

While I preferred Auromatic over DSU with center spread on for almost everything anyway, DSU wasn't bad with some music. It was nice to have another legit choice. Now it looks like with the next AVR upgrade that won't be an option--unless I spring for the JBL with their Logic-16 (which nobody has actually heard yet, and obviously won't be available on anything non-JBL).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ouch. This is sad. Auromatic stands alone as the only usable (in my opinion) upmixer for 2 channel music among the big three.

You don't need a special speaker layout. For most popular music (that wasn't recorded in a concert hall, etc) you'll probably find Auromatic 2D better anyway, it simply uses your 5.1 base layer. It's very subtle, leaving the front soundstage intact very well (better than DSU even with center spread on) and isn't as aggressive as DSU (which sometimes puts instruments back there that don't belong).

While I preferred Auromatic over DSU with center spread on for almost everything anyway, DSU wasn't bad with some music. It was nice to have another legit choice. Now it looks like with the next AVR upgrade that won't be an option--unless I spring for the JBL with their Logic-16 (which nobody has actually heard yet, and obviously won't be available on anything non-JBL).
That’s very interesting. So far, I haven’t had as many odd instrument placements as PLIIx, but it will throw one out of one of the rear surrounds periodically. I kinda go back and forth too. Electronic music, like NIN, or Infected Mushroom, or some dubstep types really are fun with DSU and are almost movie soundtrack like. Piano music seems to benefit from DSU as well, capturing the “room” Pink Floyd and pop/rock/metal and such can go either way depending on my mood. Dtsnx seems to fail mostly,but is fun for some movies.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That Demon 3600 model is the same one where NeuralX upmixer can’t upmix Dolby sources. (Even though Dolby lifted the restriction, not sure Denon did a firmware update).
They don’t call them “Demons” for nothing. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis