The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What about the source itself? I have not found any movies coded for Auro3D? Or is upmixing Dolby content effective enough?
Yep. That’s another point we’ve made. As William says, Auro3D is pretty much DEAD in the US since there are no Auro3D contents for the US market. You would have to purchase Auro3D contents from Europe.

For me and other members, using Dolby Surround and DTS NeuralX up-mixers are usually great. So we don’t “need” Auro3D. But if Auro3D ever catches on (as unlikely as that might be), we would welcome all formats. :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Just the continued legacy of inferior formats winning over superior or better formats herein the USA.

M

mlmiller

Audiophyte
I don't think I could stand to watch more than 30 minutes of Waterworld even if it had outstanding overhead use...god-awful movie. I can't stand most Kevin Costner movies.... Waterworld was the pits (although it was funny watching him drink his own urine. Yum. ;) ) (Ok it was urine recycled into water but still)
I was just looking for someone's thoughts on watching Atmos files on my DenonAvrx1200. When playing these files it gives the option of either Atmos/Surround or DolbyTHD+ neural:x. The DolbyTHD+Neural:x sounds considerably better than the Atmos setting even with Atmos files. Can anyone explain. To my recollection the Atmos files sounded louder prior to the DTS:X upgrade on the AVR.

D

Denx4100

Audioholic Intern
I was just looking for someone's thoughts on watching Atmos files on my DenonAvrx1200. When playing these files it gives the option of either Atmos/Surround or DolbyTHD+ neural:x. The DolbyTHD+Neural:x sounds considerably better than the Atmos setting even with Atmos files. Can anyone explain. To my recollection the Atmos files sounded louder prior to the DTS:X upgrade on the AVR.
I have atmos files on a USB drive, I feel the atmos files sound great, but I don't have dts:x.
I have the AVR X4100

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There are a lot of Atmos soundtracks that do sound great.

But not all Atmos soundtracks sound good.

When they don't sound good, then use NeuralX. A lot of us do the same.

Basically, use whatever sounds the best.

Point is that we have good options - Atmos, DTSX, and NeuralX and DSU.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just saw the new Vin Diesel film "Bloodshot" in 4K Dolby Atmos from Sony Studio. The movie was shot using the 8K Panavision DXL2 digital camera. There are only about 8 other films shot using 8K digital cameras.

Picture quality is great, as expected from the 8K camera.

Sound quality is very good. Atmos wasn't always active, but when they do use them throughout the movie (usually voices overhead), I thought it was effective.

So I would still give "Bloodshot" thumbs up for the Atmos soundtrack.

What about the plot? I loved it. :D

It's a Sci-Fi, so not everything is 100% believable. But it seems like almost everything and everyone had a reason.

For example, I would risk my life to save you not just because I'm kind or just for the heck of it. I risk my life to save you because if I don't do this, I would literally die! :D

So for plot, I would say it's one of the best plots I've seen. And overall, I like this movie a lot for good character, story, Atmos sound, and Picture (8K camera).

Again, the Atmos is not always active, but it is used throughout the movie and I liked it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I just saw the new Vin Diesel film "Bloodshot" in 4K Dolby Atmos from Sony Studio. The movie was shot using the 8K Panavision DXL2 digital camera. There are only about 8 other films shot using 8K digital cameras.

Picture quality is great, as expected from the 8K camera.

Sound quality is very good. Atmos wasn't always active, but when they do use them throughout the movie (usually voices overhead), I thought it was effective.

So I would still give "Bloodshot" thumbs up for the Atmos soundtrack.

What about the plot? I loved it. :D

It's a Sci-Fi, so not everything is 100% believable. But it seems like almost everything and everyone had a reason.

For example, I would risk my life to save you not just because I'm kind or just for the heck of it. I risk my life to save you because if I don't do this, I would literally die! :D

So for plot, I would say it's one of the best plots I've seen. And overall, I like this movie a lot for good character, story, Atmos sound, and Picture (8K camera).

Again, the Atmos is not always active, but it is used throughout the movie and I liked it.
Hey have you seen the movie Dr Sleep the sequel to The Shining? It is a FANTASTIC movie great acting great plot

The 4k looks good the atmos is not used heavily but when it is it's put too good use.
The acting is excellent and the plot is very well done a great story and worthy successor

If you watch it watch the Directors Cut its only on blu ray but it's the best one better then the theatrical release and that's pretty good as well it's just the Directors Cut is better

I've watched it twice now and like it better the 2nd time then the first

That's rare for me

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'll definetly have to check out that movie Bloodshot I love good sci fi

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey have you seen the movie Dr Sleep the sequel to The Shining? It is a FANTASTIC movie great acting great plot

The 4k looks good the atmos is not used heavily but when it is it's put too good use.
The acting is excellent and the plot is very well done a great story and worthy successor

If you watch it watch the Directors Cut its only on blu ray but it's the best one better then the theatrical release and that's pretty good as well it's just the Directors Cut is better

I've watched it twice now and like it better the 2nd time then the first

That's rare for me
I will have to watch Doctor Sleep! Somehow I missed this movie.

Shot with 6.5K Digital Camera (Arri Alexa), Sound with Atmos

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will have to watch Doctor Sleep! Somehow I missed this movie.

Shot with 6.5K Digital Camera (Arri Alexa), Sound with Atmos
let me know what you think we both like stuff like that but your a tough critic so it will be interesting to hear your take on it I love that movie the Directors Cut is the bomb

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
let me know what you think we both like stuff like that but your a tough critic so it will be interesting to hear your take on it I love that movie the Directors Cut is the bomb
Well, with movies and shows, a lot of times it's about clicking with the actors/actresses and the characters.

But I agree that I can be critical. :D

I watched "Bird of Prey" for about 20 minutes and had to turn it off because I thought it was among the dumbest movies I've seen. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Alright, I saw "Doctor Sleep" in 4K Atmos.

The movie itself - I like it a lot. Very good plot IMO.

I am also a huge fan of Rebecca Ferguson. I'll watch anything she's in. :D

Video - excellent PQ. This movie was shot using 6.5K digital camera (Arri Alexa 65).

Sound - overall SQ was very good. Atmos sound effect wasn't very active. I don't think it was as good as "Pet Sematary 2019" which had extremely effective creepy overhead Atmos effects. Thus, I can't say Atmos sound in Doctor Sleep is "reference quality", but very good regular surround sound.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Alright, I saw "Doctor Sleep" in 4K Atmos.

The movie itself - I like it a lot. Very good plot IMO.

I am also a huge fan of Rebecca Ferguson. I'll watch anything she's in. :D

Video - excellent PQ. This movie was shot using 6.5K digital camera (Arri Alexa 65).

Sound - overall SQ was very good. Atmos sound effect wasn't very active. I don't think it was as good as "Pet Sematary 2019" which had extremely effective creepy overhead Atmos effects. Thus, I can't say Atmos sound in Doctor Sleep is "reference quality", but very good regular surround sound.
I know I was disappointed with the atmos stuff as well it could have been really creepy when they went back to the resort!!!! But I loved the movie too!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know I was disappointed with the atmos stuff as well it could have been really creepy when they went back to the resort!!!! But I loved the movie too!!!
OMG. Effective Atmos inside that creepy resort would have killed it. :D

There were some Atmos overhead effects, but just not enough to "remember" by.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was better than probably all the movies in 2019. :D

"Doctor Sleep" should have won Best Picture. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
OMG. Effective Atmos inside that creepy resort would have killed it. :D

There were some Atmos overhead effects, but just not enough to "remember" by.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was better than probably all the movies in 2019. :D

"Doctor Sleep" should have won Best Picture. :D
That good huh? I'll have to watch it. Granted, the director also did the Hauting of Hill House on Netflix which was excellent.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That good huh? I'll have to watch it. Granted, the director also did the Hauting of Hill House on Netflix which was excellent.
Looks like he also directed "Gerald's Game" (also Stephen King). I also thought Gerald's Game was very good.

So I think this director is among the smarter ones. :D

However, I won't be watching "Haunting of Hill House" or anything that has to do with "haunting" since I'm a chicken. :D

I was reluctant to watch "Doctor Sleep" because I'm chicken. But I decided to watch it anyway because @Danzilla31 said the plot of "Doctor Sleep" was excellent, which I agree with. :D

Also because Rebecca Ferguson was in Doctor Sleep. :D

Truth be told, I never actually watched "The Shining". Why? Because I'm a damn chicken! :D

And hells no, I'm still not watching "The Shining"! :D

Unless they can do a remake with Rebecca Ferguson in it. :D

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like he also directed "Gerald's Game" (also Stephen King). I also thought Gerald's Game was very good.

However, I won't be watching "Haunting of Hill House" or anything that has to do with "haunting" since I'm a chicken. :D

I was reluctant to watch "Doctor Sleep" because I'm chicken. But I decided to watch it anyway because @Danzilla31 said the plot of "Doctor Sleep" was excellent, which I agree with. :D

Truth be told, I never actually watched "The Shining". Why? Because I'm a damn chicken! :D

:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

REBECCA FERGUSON!!!! For a gal like that I might just give up my fetish for ports

And that's saying a lot right there :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis