The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
At least it's a Universal HD Dvd release. :) Reports are open or sealed, these suffer from what people have termed "disc rot".:eek: Seems to mostly affect Warner Bros films.:mad: I don't know if it is true, virtually all mine are Warner's and 3 of those Potter's appear to suffer from this. :( The rest seem fine. They could I suppose, replace them, but it would be with a Bluray and that has just the basic DD and a PCM, not the True HD or DD+ of the reds. :( There is no mark, scratch or blooming that I can see, but I do know they all fail on the 1st evo file.

I had thought the Xbox 360 drives would command a nice price now, alas no.o_O I found an Ebay listing for £1.10 with 70 disc.o_O It still has 5 days to go and only 1 bid. I am so tempted but I don't really want to setup an account.

Colour and picture looks good on the Underworld. At least it doesn't have that distinct blue tinge of the later ones.:)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Warner titles seem to be the ones I have few and not even Blade Runner 5 disc box set is good anymore. The 5 disc bluray sells a bit steep and only want the theatrical, international and forget what the other one is on the disc?

A few rare Warner titles managed to play but not checked them in over a year now to see if they still play.

I can't figure out why the Dolby Plus and TrueHD isn't being outputted though the HDMI to Marnatz SR6012 last it was okay on Onkyo TX SR875. It could be a HDMI audio output to input issue. The optical lead is okay for 5.1.

The HDMI when set to bitstream should automatically send the Dolby Plus/TrueHD signal to the AVR no ifs no buts about it. I read the manual of Toshiba EP30 and Marnatz SR6012 few times over and slightly puzzled? The HD picture is okay.

I may watch Assault on Precinct 13 tomorrow as still listening to Underworld in Dolby Atmos for the 4th time today and spent last 5 hours fitting up x2 JBL control 5 for overhead surrounds. Total x100 JBL and tactile bass shakers now running.

OH7.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...still listening to Underworld in Dolby Atmos for the 4th time today and spent last 5 hours fitting up x2 JBL control 5 for overhead surrounds. Total x100 JBL and tactile bass shakers now running....
Damn, that’s dedication right there. :D

One thing that’s really funny is that I’m hoping for 4K/ATMOS remastering of movies that probably won’t have any benefits, but I don’t care because it would give me great excuses to re-watch movies like Shawshank Redemption and Godfather I & II. :D

Just doing my part and taking one for the team. Oh, the sacrifices we must make. ;) :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Equalizer (2014) ATMOS.

Among the best ATMOS tracks.

This one has it all in terms of overhead effects. :D

1. Birds
2. Plane
3. Helicopter
4. Train
5. Cars over bridge
6. Voices from intercom
7. Inner voices
8. Thunder
9. Music from intercom
10. Water sprinkler

The climax/action scenes inside the hardware store toward the end have awesome ATMOS sound effects.

Superb soundtrack. Excellent dialogue clarity. Great panning.

Reference quality all around. Possibly the best I’ve heard.

Let’s just say the difference between the ATMOS vs standard version (DTSHDMA) is significant.

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Warner titles seem to be the ones I have few and not even Blade Runner 5 disc box set is good anymore. The 5 disc bluray sells a bit steep and only want the theatrical, international and forget what the other one is on the disc?
That's more than dedication, that's above and beyond, Andy.:D

Fortunately, I think my briefcase Blade Runner is still good. The only version is the "original theater" release with voice over, which both Ridley and Harrison hate. They are of course entirely wrong, what do those mega multi millionaires know. :p Yes there is the work print, theatrical, international, rehash one and the supposed definitive rehash two. There could even be more, it's a while since I checked.:eek:

Can't check the Toshiba correctly, I've lost the remote.:( I should be able to program the harmony with it, but it so annoyingly slow.

The Equalizer ATMOS.
Alas the Equaliser is only Dts HD in the UK and the 2nd appears to be the same.:mad:

Last night we were still hanging out in the foreign section with Taxi 1,2 and 3.:eek: Apparently there are now 5, but I have not seen the latter two. The less said about Queen Latifah'so_O the better, although I did like the Tv series Taxi, Brooklyn with Chyler Leigh. :D

They are not exactly PC, but still very enjoyable and nuts. The first is unfortunately only Stereo and a mini letterbox. The other two are fine in 5.1. The third even has Stallone, albeit dubbed. The up mixed worked, better on 2 and 3, but it was ok. :)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Has anyone bought the 4k version of The Matrix Trilogy that just came out? I want to get it for the atmos but I dont have a 4k TV. My receiver and BD player are 4k compatible tho. Is there any reason I should not order it? Does down scaling work ok? Any side effects? Will I still get the atmos audio track?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone bought the 4k version of The Matrix Trilogy that just came out? I want to get it for the atmos but I dont have a 4k TV. My receiver and BD player are 4k compatible tho. Is there any reason I should not order it? Does down scaling work ok? Any side effects? Will I still get the atmos audio track?
I have seen all 3 Matrix 4K/Dolby Atmos Blu-Rays. I watched them in 1080p and Dolby Atmos.

1080p looks great to me.

The sound has improved significantly IMO. I really love the ATMOS soundtrack, especially for Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. I think the ATMOS tracks sound alone is worth the money and among the best I've heard. :D

I think I posted my impressions of the Matrix Trilogy Atmos in this thread. Or did I? :D

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I suppose an import would be an option, although starting down that slope could get expensive quite quickly. :D PPZ and all.:p I may give the Dts a shot, I don't think I've watched since the height went up. I liked the film even if the Sony exec didn't :( of course I remember the original tv series with Edward Woodward,:) sadly past. You can see him in Hot Fuzz, a serious bass movie. o_O

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I suppose an import would be an option, although starting down that slope could get expensive quite quickly. :D PPZ and all.:p I may give the Dts a shot, I don't think I've watched since the height went up. I liked the film even if the Sony exec didn't :( of course I remember the original tv series with Edward Woodward,:) sadly past. You can see him in Hot Fuzz, a serious bass movie. o_O
I thought UHD discs were region free? Or no?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I think PPZ and Equalizer-1 (was going to say EQ-1 :D) are reference quality Atmos tracks and extremely fun to watch. :D

If I could have only 2 blu-rays, it would have to be those 2. :D

I would rank Equalizer #1 and Pride & Prejudice & Zombies close #2 by a hair. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I think PPZ and Equalizer-1 (was going to say EQ-1 :D) are reference quality Atmos tracks and extremely fun to watch. :D

I would rank Equalizer #1 and Pride & Prejudice & Zombies close #2 by a hair. :D
Equalizer 2 is coming out soon on BR too.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I have seen all 3 Matrix 4K/Dolby Atmos Blu-Rays. I watched them in 1080p and Dolby Atmos.

1080p looks great to me.

The sound has improved significantly IMO. I really love the ATMOS soundtrack, especially for Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. I think the ATMOS tracks sound alone is worth the money and among the best I've heard. :D

I think I posted my impressions of the Matrix Trilogy Atmos in this thread. Or did I? :D
Thanks! Im gonna order it. 4 day weekend coming up for Thanksgiving, sounds like a good time! Ive written off number 3, never liked that one and have only ever seen it once. But maybe, just maybe, Ill give it another shot after all these years.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks! Im gonna order it. 4 day weekend coming up for Thanksgiving, sounds like a good time! Ive written off number 3, never liked that one and have only ever seen it once. But maybe, just maybe, Ill give it another shot after all these years.
Some of the scenes deserve facepalms, but at least the ATMOS sound effects are great. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Entirely correct. UHD discs are region free, alas the Bluray copy included is usually region locked. :rolleyes:
The Sony x800 UHD player doesn’t cost too much. $250 USD. There is also the x700 which is $200 USD.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I agree with Rob Sample and he is right even thou the video was done around 2016 and I was still holding back on a new AVR. Audio delivery content on 4k is not good. Got buy the movie not once or twice but three times to have three audio delivery formats.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
The more I listen to Alien Covenant (2017) in Dolby Atmos, chapter 20, with my own matrix below surround the more I hear and feel.

The rocket motor engines on lift-crane with screen captures at that point the sound of the engines sound below with matrix centre that extracts the centre phantom signal away from the sidewall stereo surrounds which of course the rocket engines then sound above me on the sidewalls but the sound and image relaction doesn't match if, I was there I'd hear those rocket engines to the sides and below as well as feeling mechanical resonate vibration though my feet/legs/body.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

The surround of the matrix on the Dolby CP45 is routed to middle overhead while the discrete Height-1 front top LR is at the front of the ceiling with Height-2 top LR at rear of ceiling behind where I mostly sit front row.

of course still get the overhead depending on scene and shots when camera angle is at or if it was "us" standing on ground level or floating in midair below it as it passes above our heads!

I may get a second Marnatz SR6012 and try out the simple 7.6.2 that someone posted the idea on a Audioholics member Latent
of using the main AVR to channel configure.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/how-to-get-dolby-atmos-9-2-6-from-the-denon-avr-x8500h.111903/

bluray/UHD 4k player HDMI to main AVR while secondary HDMI from player as most now offer two HDMI outputs the second HDMI goes to second AVR then its just simply configuring the outputs for both AVR's.

Main Atmos decoder
LCR
Side surrounds LR
Top front LR
Top middle LR
SW 1 SW 2
Second Atmos decoder
Top rear LR
Rear back surround LR

There is settings in the Marantz/Denon for these configurations but only offer two of the height choices due to the amount of limited decoding for the cheaper price while other decoders that offer all 3 and some 4 Height channels on more expensive models.

Alien Covenant has been playing for some months now while Gravity still at number #1 so Alien Covenant is my number #2 demo disc.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

Someone say Equalizer? :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis