The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ul

Ultimate message install huge tower speakers into your ceiling for atmos and it doesn't matter how far way you are! :D
If I could go back in time, I would put big a$$ towers up in the ceiling and under the floor. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m watching The Dark Knight Rises in DTS NeuralX.

The scene around 00:50:55 where the Bat-Wing takes off from the dark alley. The overhead speakers were very pleased.

Man, that overhead action from NeuralX sounds better than any DTSX contents I’ve seen.

Cops in the tunnel scene- when the bombs went off, I could hear the tunnels explode from overhead.

Pretty much every time the Batwing flies overhead I can hear it from the ceiling speakers.

That awesome Batman theme song plays overhead.

For me personally, Dark Knight Rises DTS-HD MA upmixed with Neural:X sounds better than most DTS:X movies and some ATMOS speakers.

Who needs DTSX? :D

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Who needs DTSX
Is this an offical mission from the Caped Crusader.?:confused:

We did the Machete Kills last night, that worked. :eek: Shame they seemed to have shelved, indefinitely, the Machete Kills Again.. IN SPACEo_O I really wanted to see that one. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Is this an offical mission from the Caped Crusader.?:confused:

We did the Machete Kills last night, that worked. :eek: Shame they seemed to have shelved, indefinitely, the Machete Kills Again.. IN SPACEo_O I really wanted to see that one. :D
The soup is f- $10.00 :eek: Sell :cool: me your children. :D

Once in few years I watch the film for a laugh.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Cliffhanger (1993)
dtshdma 5.1 / THX sound system / JBL

False information claiming it would be Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos for UK release.

Originally released in Dolby Stereo SR / 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo

Cliffhanger bluray vs Cliffhanger UHD 4K
ch1.jpg

The opening is distracting with studiocanal that I had to mute the sound as it was distracting and wait till what? Oh no, no Tristar horse intro that then goes into the Carolco Pictures then the film.

ch2.jpg

First bluray uk release several years ago. The soundtrack on the earlier release had reversed front/surrounds LR that was distracting.

ch3.jpg

4k with HDR turned up
ch4.jpg

4k with HDR turned down

Picture don't really care about the 4k as the whole experience of it today made me throw the 4k into the cat litter box. Yeah, its okay. Just marketing BS. Might as well call this film MILKHANGER or MILKINGHANGER?

What is with dtshdma offset -4db I thought all dtshdma was 0db. Maybe the USA release will be Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos or maybe that is also false news to get everyone to pre-order it. Best wait for its release its an old film it ain't gonna run-away.

The Dolby DSU makes a hell of mess of the overheads that I had to
switch off. The surrounds and some from the front when the helicopter appears on-screen all whossy and phasey and unnatural sounding. So much for the great Dolby Surround DSU.

dts neural:X up-mixer made it ever far worse. I hear a pumping sound that sounds like a sort of signal gating switching on and off, distracting!

Go ahead disconnect the LCR channels and listen. Its easier for me to MUTE channels and see how good it is or how bad it is. Its the wrong sort of up-mixing matrix to create fake overhead surrounds. Maybe be better with outboard matrix decoder plugged into surrounds to look for centre phantom signals or maybe a PLIIz wired into regular surrounds might do something better or the same or far worse I don't know I was tempted to get a cheap PLIIz AVR few days ago maybe soon.

Atmos mixes as they stand yeah, okay.

I'll just keep the regular surrounds with rear back ON.

ch5.jpg
ch6.jpg
ch8.jpg

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Cliffhanger (1993)
dtshdma 5.1 / THX sound system / JBL

False information claiming it would be Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos for UK release.

Originally released in Dolby Stereo SR / 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo

Cliffhanger bluray vs Cliffhanger UHD 4K
View attachment 26530

The opening is distracting with studiocanal that I had to mute the sound as it was distracting and wait till what? Oh no, no Tristar horse intro that then goes into the Carolco Pictures then the film.

View attachment 26531
First bluray uk release several years ago. The soundtrack on the earlier release had reversed front/surrounds LR that was distracting.

View attachment 26532
4k with HDR turned up
View attachment 26533
4k with HDR turned down

Picture don't really care about the 4k as the whole experience of it today made me throw the 4k into the cat litter box. Yeah, its okay. Just marketing BS. Might as well call this film MILKHANGER or MILKINGHANGER?

What is with dtshdma offset -4db I thought all dtshdma was 0db. Maybe the USA release will be Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos or maybe that is also false news to get everyone to pre-order it. Best wait for its release its an old film it ain't gonna run-away.

The Dolby DSU makes a hell of mess of the overheads that I had to
switch off. The surrounds and some from the front when the helicopter appears on-screen all whossy and phasey and unnatural sounding. So much for the great Dolby Surround DSU.

dts neural:X up-mixer made it ever far worse. I hear a pumping sound that sounds like a sort of signal gating switching on and off, distracting!

Go ahead disconnect the LCR channels and listen. Its easier for me to MUTE channels and see how good it is or how bad it is. Its the wrong sort of up-mixing matrix to create fake overhead surrounds. Maybe be better with outboard matrix decoder plugged into surrounds to look for centre phantom signals or maybe a PLIIz wired into regular surrounds might do something better or the same or far worse I don't know I was tempted to get a cheap PLIIz AVR few days ago maybe soon.

Atmos mixes as they stand yeah, okay.

I'll just keep the regular surrounds with rear back ON.

View attachment 26534View attachment 26535View attachment 26536
They are releasing a UHD of Cliffhanger in February. I’m hoping for the best because I really loved my VHS of Cliffhanger a lot. :)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Once in few years I watch the film for a laugh.
The Blues Brothers is one of my favourite films, I can watch it anytime. After Aretha passed, we watched it as a small tribute. No film has influenced my music collection more, since it was first released in 1980.:cool:

They are releasing a UHD of Cliffhanger in February. I’m hoping for the best because I really loved my VHS of Cliffhanger a lot.
Presumably this would be a 2nd release, since Andy's photo indicate he already has a supposed restored 4K UHD copy?

Love the film, we only have the Dvd alas, but the audio has been a mess since then. Volume is really quite low (Disney low:eek:) and I don't know if I tried to up mix it or this was before that, but I was not really impressed.:( Good old Janine use to love her in Northern Exposure.:) You are right I have not seen a volume adjusted Dts before either.

Finished off the Potters, lots of good up mixing, especially on last 3 since it was either True HD or Dts HDMA. :)Rechecked current Bluray boxset, in store, and literally nothing has changed in the audio department.:( I also did the Matrix and it sounds good, especially from the Rescue on wards.:D Still don't find the Lobby scene as surroundy as some reviewers have indicated.:confused: It's loud and clear but really mostly front heavy. Underworld train station is better. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I watched Case 39 last night. That movie scared the s$!@t out of me when I was a kid. The little girl still does. The upmix was better then I thought it would be. Voices were great. The overhead effects were minimal but the overheads were used pretty good with music and with immersion in ceartin parts. Movie still scares the s@$!t out of me

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Last night I went French. o_O

Dante 01
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487928/
Chrysalis
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884335/?ref_=nv_sr_1
La cité des enfants perdus AKA The City of Lost Children
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112682/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Ignoring the critics on places like tomatoes, who clearly don't like to read, only the last one has a serious rating. These are very good films and well worth a watch. The sound is excellent, as usual with french films, and they all up mixed well.:) The Children are a bit front heavy, I am not sure it was really ever 5.1, but it is a joy seeing Ron Perlman do french.:D There is an English dub for the Children, but I find them in general very annoying, as it just looks like permanent lip-sync issues and they usually employ poor vocal substitutes.

My french is appalling, and I am only good for about 1 in 10 words, but I have great fondness these films. However it is down right stunning compared to my Japanese, Chinese and Korean. I switched from J Horror to Korean about a decade or more ago and have not really looked back. Train to Busan is an excellent piece of Zombie nonsense. Also well worth a watch is Oldboy/Oldeuboi and not the sub par american remake with Josh Brolin.

Train to Busan
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5700672/?ref_=nm_knf_i1
Oldboy
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_14

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Tonight, Cops and Robbers

Assault on Precinct 13 (2005 remake) Ethan Hawke and Laurence Fishburne. I don't often like remakes why do it, when the original is still excellent. Poor old John Carpenter has to suffer yet further rehashes, with Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from New York, Starman and They Live all penciled in.:( This one is not too bad, as the original has not aged particularly well. Up mix is good and the gun fire all around is excellent.:)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398712/?ref_=nv_sr_3

L'empire des Loups/Empire of the Wolves with the ever excellent Jean Reno. Also worth a watch for those who haven't seen them are Crimson Rivers 1 & 2 with Mr Reno. The latter having Christopher Lee, English, speaking in French and German, both of which he was fluent in.:cool: Similar in some ways to Chrysalis, but a lot less high tech and two years earlier. Sound is good, rain in particular is well handled and up mixed very nicely.:)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402158/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228786/?ref_=tt_rec_tti
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337103/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_45

Crank 1 & 2, Jason Statham, Amy Smart and 100%, Grade A Crazy, need we say more. Sound, music, up mix, excellent. :eek::D:p

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Assault on Precinct 13 (2005 remake)
I may put the HD-DVD on later again. I brought it last year new sealed cheap.
17884333_10155031812610149_5404768473469740035_n.jpg
17862782_10155031813235149_4530432199440989542_n.jpg
17883585_10155033644665149_2082814370150225346_n.jpg
17757552_10155033811130149_65321708642648456_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Underworld (2003) UHD 4k theatrical release
Dolby TrueHD Atmos / five screen channels / Lucafilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

u1.jpg

u2.jpg
u5.jpg

46325426_10156643538080149_2549154834972409856_n.jpg
46266794_10156643538255149_1932479517897523200_n.jpg

close up of above

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Chapter 5, 28mins Its like feeling, Lucian self internal body pushing the bullets out pressing against my body with lows reach down to 5Hz.

Marantz SR6012 set full range for all channels with LFE.1+ main or all channels.

underworld.JPG

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis