The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Oh I'm sorry, was that the sound of crickets playing violins up-mixed with DSU over there in the UK? :eek:
:D

Now this is been my point now for several years. Now at which level are crickets mostly found and heard at? BELOW SURROUND, yes at ground level in the grass and yet, we all hear them. Strange how they sound above me on common surrounds makes no sounding sense at all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now this is been my point now for several years. Now at which level are crickets mostly found and heard at? BELOW SURROUND, yes at ground level in the grass and yet, we all hear them. Strange how they sound above me on common surrounds makes no sounding sense at all.
How would BELOW SURROUND be installed? Just on the ground in the front and rears?

Or would they have to be installed under seats?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
addtext_com_MTYwMzUwNDUzNzk.jpg

Okay we've had a laugh and vented the past weeks steam so lets get back on TrackMos and believe all sound in Dolby labs world is above us. Well that's like believing the Earth is flat now? :D Then I guess like believing all speaker wire should be flat when most of it is in round plastic coating tube. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
How would BELOW SURROUND be installed? Just on the ground in the front and rears?

Or would they have to be installed under seats?
Think about it! Most some or rather fewer subs are fitted below the floor in a manifold called a IB "Infinite Baffle most others are commonly fitted in the ceiling but I seen few fitted below the floor with vents in the flooring.

Its harder for me as I have a concrete floor plus floor to ceiling is 7' 8" so I'm going to end up losing few more inches in height in the room, the room ceiling will soon be near to my head. But there are some low profile speakers with shallow depth but still at most I would lose few inches with wooden floor laying over the concrete floor.

Now I would say in your case you have a wooden floor with floorboards so its easier than baking a cake. And even if you don't and have a concrete flooring with a higher ceiling you still have more than me.

So like in-wall in-ceiling now its going to be in-flooring surround sound from the final dimension because after that there is nowhere else left to go its all covered now expect mixers are still mixing, "Sigh, mixers" that depress my hearing with a flood of tears. I didn't think it was humanly possible for ears to cry. lol

So there it is.

Going need metal grills for the flush mounted floor surrounds and that's no bigger deal to do than any other speaker design in history.

Also may have to clean say a filter to prevent dust settling on the speaker so yeah sure the frequency response of the wide-band pink noise that is displaying on the RTA is going to be different and its case of shaping the below surrounds with rest of the speakers, no big deal.

I simply place my BELOW SURROUNDS underneath the cinema seats. The sound fires upwards and reflects of the bottom of the seat bucket and spreads out defused. Other home cinema seats not going to be possible for them due to the seat design or a sofa that is going to be too close to the floor. My seats are more open.

11008482_10153080206030149_2955210559967124523_n.jpg

A past picture showing my matrix Below Surround underneath the seats with a tiny cute Dolby Atmouse. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Another small win.

Ok UHD Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime on Apple 4K TV now works in Atmos 5.1.4 on my Yamaha 2060. The Yamaha displays Dolby Atmos (Netflix was already working as I already mentioned for Atmos titles)

I really need to get well so I can install my ceiling speakers. I’m on antibiotics for pneumonia. :)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Alien Covenant Atmos LFE.1 improvement
I simply used the Behringer DCX2496 with low pass shelve filter set at 20Hz raised up at +15.0db that will give some gain level boast where it often slopes down and applied few other BP band pass filter slotted between 30 40Hz added another shelve filter HP above 60Hz and raised it up a bit until I saw a difference on the spectrum lab. The signal on the spectrum lab is being outputted from the THX monitor to the pc audio input. The bass shaker Aura felt better with deeper vibration that shows clearly on the spectrum lab. Also have multi-meter + and - leads attached to bass shaker so I can monitor the voltage level.

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic

So the Outlaw King is available in Atmos, in the UK, on my Xbox.:eek: The Roku doesn't want to play ball with Atmos, but is fine with the 4K HDR content.:mad: The Tv does everything but Atmos.:( The HTPC might do it, but it has decided to break the entire Microsoft Store and short of resetting the PC none of the supposed fixes work.:( I am reluctant to reset it since everything else is working perfectly. However even though the app says it's not installed, it is, and after a bit of fiddling it works.o_O

Seems ok, given the plethora of actual Scottish actors who could have been used instead of a Californian. :rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So the Outlaw King is available in Atmos, in the UK, on my Xbox.:eek: The Roku doesn't want to play ball with Atmos, but is fine with the 4K HDR content.:mad: The Tv does everything but Atmos.:( The HTPC might do it, but it has decided to break the entire Microsoft Store and short of resetting the PC none of the supposed fixes work.:( I am reluctant to reset it since everything else is working perfectly. However even though the app says it's not installed, it is, and after a bit of fiddling it works.o_O

Seems ok, given the plethora of actual Scottish actors who could have been used instead of a Californian. :rolleyes:
I liked “Outlaw King”, but I don’t even recall hearing anything overhead. My Yamaha LCD did display “Dolby ATMOS”. So I know it’s in ATMOS.

So for ATMOS effects, this movie is a 0 Star out of 5. Totally sucked.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DSU for music.

I was listening to DJ Dado Remix of The X-Files theme music in DSU. In the beginning when there was raining, I could hear the rain pouring down from the overhead ATMOS speakers. :D

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
It's wasn't super awesome, but there were the odd moments.:) Catapult sweeps up from the back to the front near the start. Some crowd cheers and celebrations, and occasionally moments during the fights. Scenery was nice, actual Scotland, not Ireland this time and probably about as historically accurate as Mel Gibson.:rolleyes: Overall it was quite enjoyable minus the spider.:)

Apparently the excellent Altered Carbon is also in Atmos, and the opening music sounded like it had more going on. Where is season 2, I demands it, and my 3rd season of The Expanse.:mad:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ul
Yeah there were some decent overhead action in Fallen Kingdom.

I think the biggest difference among all the Atmos setup is the actual distance from the Atmos speakers.

Of course, we all level-match all the speakers.

But when all the speakers are blasting away concurrently, the distance from the ceiling speakers make a big difference IMO.

My ceiling speakers are about 14 FT away from my listening position. I think if you have the ceiling speakers closer to you, then you will be able to hear the ceiling speakers a lot more. :D

My distance from the ground surround speakers are about 9 FT away.

My impression of the Atmos overhead effects would probably make more sense to someone else who also have ceiling speakers that are about 14 FT away. :D

When people do reviews, I think that bit of information (distance from Atmos speakers) needs to be known. :D

So when I say that contents like (Matrix Trilogy, Underworld Blood Wars, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Now You See Me 2, Daredevil Season 3) have great overhead effects with ceiling speakers 14 FT away, I bet it's really good from 6 FT away.

Take home message - don't place the ceiling speakers too FAR away from you.
Ultimate message install huge tower speakers into your ceiling for atmos and it doesn't matter how far way you are! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It's wasn't super awesome, but there were the odd moments.:) Catapult sweeps up from the back to the front near the start. Some crowd cheers and celebrations, and occasionally moments during the fights. Scenery was nice, actual Scotland, not Ireland this time and probably about as historically accurate as Mel Gibson.:rolleyes: Overall it was quite enjoyable minus the spider.:)

Apparently the excellent Altered Carbon is also in Atmos, and the opening music sounded like it had more going on. Where is season 2, I demands it, and my 3rd season of The Expanse.:mad:
I'm so down for Altered Carbon season 2 that show was so awesome!

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I been thinking about trying, "Jack Ryan" on Amazon prime, sounds like Optimus Prime calling the Cybertron above. Thing is I don't know if the [Atmos] is on prime I don't see any indication like I do with other streaming or renting/buying with a [5.1] been shown. I understand it would be Dolby digital plus with Atmos.

I brought on Amazon few nights ago one episode of Star Trek TOS remastered "the trouble with tribbles" I'm not really in the habit of buying fearing the content might be not good. Picture HD1080p was okay. Dolby Digital Plus was okay but I hate the remastered CGI that is unnecessary.

The Atmos upmix was okay it had few Enterprise surprises overhead in vacuum of space when the circling around space station K7 on the outside.

45878535_10156635903970149_6813755118756823040_n.jpg

45788822_10156635906210149_3955545591194320896_n.jpg

45776561_10156635905540149_5222518247244431360_n.jpg
45846551_10156635905965149_1739555153238818816_n.jpg

"Fortunately, of course, I am... immune to it's effect."

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Cat's Eye (1985)
dtshdma 2.0 or 4:2:4 / THX sound system / JBL professional
Originally released in Dolby Stereo A type.
44026549_10156576691800149_407236103083393024_n.jpg

A three part story tat follows a cat that takes journey to a smokers quitters place to Atlantic city and back to his home town to save little girl from a troll that lives behind the wall in her bedroom.

Quitters inc, story is by far the most that some remember from the film and funnest at times.
No harm to the cat in the cat room it was done with air blowing underneath the set with optical visual effect sparks superimposed on the film that looks real.
44037131_10156576739730149_7141703084719210496_n.jpg

The camera lighting photography looks great with natural colours and nice lighting and some cool practical miniature effects.

Played it with dtshdma 2.0, 4:2:4 the Marnatz SR6012 selected side/back surrounds for that mode that was satisfactory enough. I kept the two upmixers switched off. surround effects was all around with few notifiable surround effects like when (Kenneth McMillan) "Cressner" falls off the building and lands on horn with cat underneath a car watching and only the sound of horn "honkkk" is heard loudly on the surrounds had me bursting out with laughter.
44042001_10156576727355149_3374259365824430080_n.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I been thinking about trying, "Jack Ryan" on Amazon prime, sounds like Optimus Prime calling the Cybertron above. Thing is I don't know if the [Atmos] is on prime I don't see any indication like I do with other streaming or renting/buying with a [5.1] been shown. I understand it would be Dolby digital plus with Atmos.

I brought on Amazon few nights ago one episode of Star Trek TOS remastered "the trouble with tribbles" I'm not really in the habit of buying fearing the content might be not good. Picture HD1080p was okay. Dolby Digital Plus was okay but I hate the remastered CGI that is unnecessary.

The Atmos upmix was okay it had few Enterprise surprises overhead in vacuum of space when the circling around space station K7 on the outside.

View attachment 26503
View attachment 26505
View attachment 26504View attachment 26506
"Fortunately, of course, I am... immune to it's effect."
My favorite episode on this show was when Kirk had to heal down to that planet to fight that alien reptile dude so these other higher life forms could decide if they were evolved enough. Oh and the one where his best friend gets zapped in that storm and his eyes turn silver and he gets godlike powers and Kirk has to kill him. Great memories your bringing back I loved that show!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis