The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know I SHOULD go watch Fantastic Beasts right now since I got Atmos + 3D to try, but somehow I don't really want to. There's Venom, but it's only 5.1 audio. I could rewatch Ghost in the Shell to see if I hear what you hear, but I just watched it a couple of months ago. Decisions decisions. I'm still waiting on The Great Wall in 3D/Atmos to arrive from England as well.
Of the ones you mentioned, “The Great Wall” is the only one that gets a “passing” score from me. :D

It’s understandable for different setups to have different results.

We already talked about Snow White and the Huntsman in DTSX - how I got great overhead effects while you didn’t experience the the same results.

So it’s possible if you got great OH effects from Ghost in the Shell while I didn’t experience the same results.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
A few new additions to my home theater have arrived.... My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary Remaster with TrueHD 7.1, of course as you can see below (that's what I named my lightsaber...just kidding):
LicensePlateFalcon S.jpg
SaberWallPoster S.jpg

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I've got the Great Wall in now in 3D with Atmos. Probably won't get to it until Sunday or Monday, though.

Just ordered The Shadow collector's edition to go with my phurba dagger replica from the movie that will be here soon. Conan's sword from Barbarian /Destroyer and Morpheus' Katana from the 2nd Matrix movie should be here tomorrow. Still waiting on Bellatrix's dagger from Harry Potter to ship. Running out of space for movie replicas.... Got Dumbledore's Elder Wand and the prophesy crystal ball coming as well.... Think I've gone overboard on decorations/trinket props....

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Do you guys think Dolby Atmos is here to stay for good?

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Given it's backwards compatible, I don't see it going anywhere any time soon....

Now I'm ordering things from Japan directly....(I think that makes 6 countries I order from now). I just ordered Ralph Breaks The Internet in 4K+3D+2D+DC from Amazon Japan (only place on Earth that is getting it in 3D). The 4K disc has Atmos so I'll have 3D + Atmos. $62 US after shipping (ouch). I also pre-ordered Aquaman 3D, Mortal Engines 3D (Atmos) and the Crimes of Grindelwald 3D (Atmos) plus Mel Gibson's Apocalypto all from the UK (can't find it in the US for any reasonable price anymore as it's out of print and not available in streaming in the US).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you guys think Dolby Atmos is here to stay for good?
It is definitely here to stay. Guarantee it. :D

The benefits of Atmos over TrueHD CAN BE a lot more significant than TrueHD over DD.

There are some Atmos, DTSX, and Auro3D movies that don't seem to have much enhancements over DD or DTS. But there are plenty of Atmos/DTSX movies that are pretty awesome vs DD and DTS.

Like VonMagnum says, since it is backward compatible with Dolby Digital just like Dolby TrueHD is backward compatible, there is no reason to change it until they find an "enhancement" for Dolby Atmos.

Like how Dolby Atmos is an enhancement for Dolby TrueHD. But TrueHD is still around since Atmos --> TrueHD --> Dolby Digital are all backward compatible.

Let's say they did find an enhancement for Atmos -- let's call it AtmosMAX. Then we would still have Atmos: AtmosMAX --> Atmos --> TrueHD --> Dolby Digital are all compatible.

Same thing with DTSX --> DTS-HDMA --> DTS backward compatibility.

So Atmos is here to stay.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I want floor speaker support for sounds that are underneath the screen added to Atmos/X. That should have been a no-brainer from the start. Unlike bounce, a floor woofer/tweeter would be easy and effective to put on the bottom of a tower speaker. Imagine the river underneath the rope bridge in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I want floor speaker support for sounds that are underneath the screen added to Atmos/X. That should have been a no-brainer from the start. Unlike bounce, a floor woofer/tweeter would be easy and effective to put on the bottom of a tower speaker. Imagine the river underneath the rope bridge in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
That might happen, but odds are probably low.

It would require at least a 9Ch AVR (5.1.2.2), but people will want at least an 13Ch AVR (5.1.4.4). :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It is definitely here to stay. Guarantee it. :D

The benefits of Atmos over TrueHD CAN BE a lot more significant than TrueHD over DD.

There are some Atmos, DTSX, and Auro3D movies that don't seem to have much enhancements over DD or DTS. But there are plenty of Atmos/DTSX movies that are pretty awesome vs DD and DTS.

Like VonMagnum says, since it is backward compatible with Dolby Digital just like Dolby TrueHD is backward compatible, there is no reason to change it until they find an "enhancement" for Dolby Atmos.

Like how Dolby Atmos is an enhancement for Dolby TrueHD. But TrueHD is still around since Atmos --> TrueHD --> Dolby Digital are all backward compatible.

Let's say they did find an enhancement for Atmos -- let's call it AtmosMAX. Then we would still have Atmos: AtmosMAX --> Atmos --> TrueHD --> Dolby Digital are all compatible.

Same thing with DTSX --> DTS-HDMA --> DTS backward compatibility.

So Atmos is here to stay.
Yep. All that...plus, once mixers get a better handle on what they can do, and directors get more on board and creative it’s only gonna get better.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
That might happen, but odds are probably low.

It would require at least a 9Ch AVR (5.1.2.2), but people will want at least an 13Ch AVR (5.1.4.4). :D
I was thinking more like 11.1.6.6 (24 channel AVR would do), but even 7.1.4.2 (existing Denon 8500 could do that and 11-channel models could d 5.1.4.2) would offer a full circle type experience for the MLP (fronts blended to lower sides would likely be adequate for most movies as I don't imagine tons of stereo front/back panning from below, but certainly a blast of water or a voice or explosion from the floor level would be quite cool and really extend the vertical plane from floor to ceiling and speaker wise, it shouldn't really take up any extra floor space.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking more like 11.1.6.6 (24 channel AVR would do)
In your dreams. :D

But I am all for the "minimum" 11CH - 5.1.4.2 AtmosMAX System since I do have an 11Ch amp. :cool:

I already have my two floor speakers picked out - the RBH SI-663 ($3,600/pair). I can't wait. :D

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I'm actually thinking they could bake some binaural clues into the bed mix with no changes and it could be quite effective for ground sounds (try a binaural recording in multi-channel stereo some time. Distant effects not near your ears are very effective with balanced levels. It would be simple to add them at a mixing level (binaural sound effects that is that could simulate ground/below effects).

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Conan, be sure and slice that bologna very thin..... Conan Sword 1 S.jpgConan Sword 2 S.jpgElder Wand S.jpgMorpheus Katana S.jpg

Yes, Mr. Potter, that IS the Elder Wand.

And Morpheus, what's with the Katana?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Given it's backwards compatible, I don't see it going anywhere any time soon....

Now I'm ordering things from Japan directly....(I think that makes 6 countries I order from now). I just ordered Ralph Breaks The Internet in 4K+3D+2D+DC from Amazon Japan (only place on Earth that is getting it in 3D). The 4K disc has Atmos so I'll have 3D + Atmos. $62 US after shipping (ouch). I also pre-ordered Aquaman 3D, Mortal Engines 3D (Atmos) and the Crimes of Grindelwald 3D (Atmos) plus Mel Gibson's Apocalypto all from the UK (can't find it in the US for any reasonable price anymore as it's out of print and not available in streaming in the US).
I had a 3D Samsung Plasma loved it! Damm TV went out! Anyways nothing like having 3D Katy Perry in the middle of your living room! :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I'd rather have a 3D Katy Perry sitting on my lap, but I guess the middle of the room will have to do. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw “Mad Max Fury Road” Atmos yesterday.

A lot of bass, a lot loud sounds, surround sounds were all around.

But regarding discrete overhead sounds, besides the few voices overhead, I could not recall much else. Maybe the sound from all bed-speakers were too loud. But I just couldn’t hear as much discrete overhead sounds like in Pacific Rim or Cliffhanger.

So in my book (in my system) I would give it a failing grade for Atmos overhead sound.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I saw “Mad Max Fury Road” Atmos yesterday.

A lot of bass, a lot loud sounds, surround sounds were all around.

But regarding discrete overhead sounds, besides the few voices overhead, I could not recall much else. Maybe the sound from all bed-speakers were too loud. But I just couldn’t hear as much discrete overhead sounds like in Pacific Rim or Cliffhanger.

So in my book (in my system) I would give it a failing grade for Atmos overhead sound.
Another bad Atmos movie? I could have sworn I read that movie had a great Atmos track. Maybe they weren't really paying attention to overhead sounds? I haven't watched it yet. Sadly, I've got a long way to go to catch up with my purchases. I just picked up Bad Times at the El Royale with Atmos. Jeff Bridges has always been a favorite actor of mine because of TRON and King Kong. I picked up Nadine and Hell or High Water as well (neither of those are Atmos, but they both have Bridges in them). Minions 3D just arrived as well with Atmos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another bad Atmos movie? I could have sworn I read that movie had a great Atmos track. Maybe they weren't really paying attention to overhead sounds? I haven't watched it yet. Sadly, I've got a long way to go to catch up with my purchases. I just picked up Bad Times at the El Royale with Atmos. Jeff Bridges has always been a favorite actor of mine because of TRON and King Kong. I picked up Nadine and Hell or High Water as well (neither of those are Atmos, but they both have Bridges in them). Minions 3D just arrived as well with Atmos.
Yeah, when I “judge” an Atmos movie, my ears tune in very specifically to those 4 overhead ceiling speakers. :D

If a car goes overhead on the movie screen, I want to hear those ceiling speakers roar. If water pours down from above, I want to hear that water pour like a waterfall. :D

Fury Road for TrueHD definitely gets grade A. But for Atmos, since I couldn’t hear significant discrete overhead sounds, gets 2 thumbs down. Nothing stood out for. I recall some voices overhead, but can’t seem to recall much else.

So I don’t trust some of these reviews. Maybe they heard sounds from height speakers, since I don’t have any height speakers? Maybe their ceiling speakers aren’t on 14FT ceiling?

Oh, I hope they have Tron Legacy in Atmos. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis