The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Help Please. I have an Apple TV 4k connected to a Denon AVR-S720W receiver and I can play Dolby Atmos with no problems I see the receiver displaying ATMOS in the front, however, when I play blurays that have Atmos the receiver screen shows TrueHD and not ATMOS, why is this happening? The player I'm using is LG UBK90.Thanks
Make sure it’s set to bitstream. My newer Sony uhd player set this automatically but I’m not familiar with yours.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
When are we going to get a new Raiders of the Lost Ark 4K version with Atmos or DTS:X sound??? I'm ready to go now! :D

RaidersPosterItems S.jpgRadiers Props S.jpg

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
That's actually another style Phurba dagger (similar but different design to the one in The Shadow). I don't think I've seen that exact one for sale. There are lots of phurba dagger designs for sale on eBay, though. I've been eying a crystal one that looks pretty cool. I might need to cast away some evil spirits (they're true function on the blade side and healing on the head side, although you need to be initiated and trained to use them).

(Looking at Lord of the Rings rings at the moment)

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
It seems they have Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D + 4K + 2K + DC coming to Amazon Japan (only 3D version worldwide). I went ahead and pre-ordered it ($62 US delivered). I'll just move the Atmos track over from the 4K disc to the 3D file for my Zidoo.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It seems they have Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D + 4K + 2K + DC coming to Amazon Japan (only 3D version worldwide). I went ahead and pre-ordered it ($62 US delivered).
Wow. $62 for a BluRay.

I remember back in the LaserDisc days when the "Collector's Editions" boxes were $100. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Wow. $62 for a BluRay.

I remember back in the LaserDisc days when the "Collector's Editions" boxes were $100. :D
Welk it's really a 4K and a 3D bluray together so you figure to buy both normally it'd be at least $25-30 each anyway so it's not quite as bad as it sounds. I used to do laserdisc too. The most expensive one I bought was around $110 for the Tron Archive edition. Still have it....

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
@VonMagnum id like to talk to Gene about doing an article on the “Atmos lite” Disney “Atmouse” situation. What discs and points do you see as being key that would make this a compelling article to write?

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I haven't really heard any Disney lite discs per se as I'd have to buy a 4K disc on top of the 3D one I normally get. I do have the Ralph Breaks the Internet combo coming from Japan that has both, though. But I imagine they're similar to the current DTS:X discs in nature. I get around all that with extraction and matrixed speakers beyond 7.1.4 so it doesn't impact me the same way it does a Denon 8500 or Trinnov owner. (DTS:X Pro may change all that as Neural X can do internally what I'm doing externally once the 11-channel limit is removed. However, Atmos will still be affected by those Disney titles as they do not allow third party competing upmixers to be used with Atmos (and seem to want to stop Neural X from even being used with the base 5.1 or 7.1 track).

The real concern, IMO, is that larger home theaters that really need more than 11-channels for even coverage (phantom imaging falls apart after a certain angular distance) won't sound right. It's why I have the external solution instead of an 8500 as my top middle speakers work with everything (including Auro-3D).

TheoN

TheoN

I haven't really heard any Disney lite discs per se as I'd have to buy a 4K disc on top of the 3D one I normally get. I do have the Ralph Breaks the Internet combo coming from Japan that has both, though. But I imagine they're similar to the current DTS:X discs in nature. I get around all that with extraction and matrixed speakers beyond 7.1.4 so it doesn't impact me the same way it does a Denon 8500 or Trinnov owner. (DTS:X Pro may change all that as Neural X can do internally what I'm doing externally once the 11-channel limit is removed. However, Atmos will still be affected by those Disney titles as they do not allow third party competing upmixers to be used with Atmos (and seem to want to stop Neural X from even being used with the base 5.1 or 7.1 track).

The real concern, IMO, is that larger home theaters that really need more than 11-channels for even coverage (phantom imaging falls apart after a certain angular distance) won't sound right. It's why I have the external solution instead of an 8500 as my top middle speakers work with everything (including Auro-3D).
What are the 2 or 3 classic 4K examples. I might pick up one or two to test.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I'm not sure what you're asking. I just said I have not listened to any Disney Atmos tracks so how can I recommend any? Do you mean poor sounding (dynamic range and/or volume problems) ?

TheoN

TheoN

I'm not sure what you're asking. I just said I have not listened to any Disney Atmos tracks so how can I recommend any? Do you mean poor sounding (dynamic range and/or volume problems) ?
No worries. In case you were aware of what others may have posted here or eleswhere as good examples. I’m going to pick up the Incredibles when I can.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Black Panther had incredibly muted dynamics with too much droning subwoofer and low volumes (dialog was clear but sound effects were muted).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Black Panther had incredibly muted dynamics with too much droning subwoofer and low volumes (dialog was clear but sound effects were muted).
I haven't re-watched Black Panther in Atmos, but I saw just a few first minutes. Didn't sound any good in terms of Atmos.

So the entire movie sucked in terms of Atmos and overall sound effects?

I haven't seen most of the Marvel movies in Atmos, but the ones I've seen didn't sound any better than the regular DTS versions.

I'm beginning to think that in general, all the Marvel movies suck in terms of Atmos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Netflix's "Polar 2019" in Atmos.

I liked the movie, but the Atmos sucked - as in nonexistent. I didn't hear much from the overhead speakers. Probably nothing came from the ceiling speakers.

It was the same way with "Outlaw King" and probably a few other Netflix movies that are in "Atmos".

I'm beginning to think that Netflix is doing fake-Atmos movies. :eek:

I think Daredevil S03 is the only Atmos contents from Netflix that actually had any significant overhead sound effects.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw War for the Planet of the Apes in Atmos. It failed the Atmos test for me.

I like the movie. Bass is awesome. Regular sound is awesome.

But except for the few moments of overhead sound (rain, voice, helicopter),the Atmos overhead sound is very lacking and inconsistent. For example, during the final battle scenes there are plenty of helicopters flying overhead. I can hear maybe 2 helicopters while the other helicopters don’t have any OH sound. During the rain scenes, I can hear the rain for a couple of seconds, but then the rest of the rain is not heard OH.

It seems as if they just want to meet the minimum requirement of Atmos, but fall way short.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Getting these movie producers to mix the sound right has always been a hit or miss. Michael Bay, who directed Transformers was very involved with the sound track of his movies. He made it a point to spend time with the sound studio and the engineer mixing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Getting these movie producers to mix the sound right has always been a hit or miss. Michael Bay, who directed Transformers was very involved with the sound track of his movies. He made it a point to spend time with the sound studio and the engineer mixing.
I've skimmed through some of the Transformers movies in Atmos (The Last Knight).

I haven't seen an entire Transformers Atmos movie yet. But from what I've seen, they don't seem to have a lot of overhead sound either.

So I think there are 2 kinds of mixing here. One is for the actual movie, and one is for the home BluRay Atmos.

Maybe Michael Bay cares about the movie part, but I'm not sure he spends a lot of time mixing the Atmos for the BluRay. :D

Some of these directors (Cameron, Nolan - who are even much bigger names than Bay) just don't care what goes into the BluRay.

It's a good thing some of them care. Although there are some lame ones, there are also some awesome Atmos and DTSX mixes to be thankful for.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just watched Atomic Blonde in dtsx . It was weird. It has an exemplary soundtrack, but it’s neutered at 35hz(almost as bad as first man). Like a Lamborghini with snow tires. Wtf...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis