The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
If Auro-3D movies were coming out left and right, it'd be different. The real problem is the company looks like it's on its death bed gaging by the lack of activity there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was watching some scenes from “Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them” and comparing Atmos vs TrueHD+NeuralX.

I would say that the Atmos effects suck for this movie.

I believe NeuralX sounds better than Atmos in this movie.

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Funny you should mention that one as I just bought the 3D one from Europe (turned out to be 3D only) and remuxed it (it was only 5.1 so even the TrueHD 7.1 base track on the Atmos version should be an improvement regardless. Sadly, I doubt even 3D will.make the script any better.....).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Funny you should mention that one as I just bought the 3D one from Europe (turned out to be 3D only) and remuxed it (it was only 5.1 so even the TrueHD 7.1 base track on the Atmos version should be an improvement regardless. Sadly, I doubt even 3D will.make the script any better.....).
Yeah, I don’t think I will be able to finish watching the first Fantastic Beasts movie. I’m not going to even try watching the 2nd one. :D

Probably watch all the Harry Potter DTSX movies again instead. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am re-watching “Ghost in the Shell 2017” in Atmos.

Overall I think there are very little overhead effects. Even when there is a helicopter above, I don’t hear anything overhead. Among the worst Atmos mix. Very disappointing.

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Really? I remember thinking the soundtrack sounded pretty good when I watched it. I don't recall specifics offhand, except the birds in the tree flying overhead front to back before the tank scene particularly caught my attention. The 3D video was really good (more fake looking without it in terms of CGI).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Really? I remember thinking the soundtrack sounded pretty good when I watched it. I don't recall specifics offhand, except the birds in the tree flying overhead front to back before the tank scene particularly caught my attention. The 3D video was really good (more fake looking without it in terms of CGI).
Yeah. I was skipping around a little, but I did watch a lot of the movie, including the Spider-Tank scenes. Did not impress me at all, especially when I saw the helicopter fly above and I couldn’t hear much overhead. Compare this to the helicopters in Cliffhanger, it would be like 0 (Ghost ITS) to 1000 (Cliffhanger).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw “Mary Queen of Scots” in Atmos. Not much overhead action, which is expected for this genre, unlike Ghost in the Shell.

But otherwise the soundtrack is very good IMO. There were some overhead sounds, mainly rain/water sounds, maybe some music. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Fox is releasing Alien 1979 in 4K April 23.

Unfortunately it will only have DTS-HDMA, not Atmos or DTSX.

Hopefully I am wrong and it will have Atmos or DTSX. :D

What a shame. This day and age.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24710

Looking forward to the Black Hawk Down Atmos Remastered.

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I was disappointed they went to all that bother with T2 3D and 4K and it still had only 5.1 sound.

The new Mary Poppins shows no 4K version at all and yet they still stuck with only 7.1 on the Blu-ray. They clearly want to milk it as much as possible and then release a 4K special edition with their usual locked 7.1.4 Atmos do you can buy it again.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was disappointed they went to all that bother with T2 3D and 4K and it still had only 5.1 sound.

The new Mary Poppins shows no 4K version at all and yet they still stuck with only 7.1 on the Blu-ray. They clearly want to milk it as much as possible and then release a 4K special edition with their usual locked 7.1.4 Atmos do you can buy it again.
Wow. So Terminator-2 4K is in the same boat as Alien 4K - no Atmos or DTSX remaster. Disappointing alright.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I think Cameron and Nolan both despise more than 5.1 for some crazy reason (I know with Nolan it's because he doesn't want the home releases to sound better than it did at the theater and he's pro-film and pro-IMAX and wishes everything else would just DIE). It's ridiculous since it's only at the theater for a short time and IMAX theaters are few and far between. I'd almost like to boycott him entirely except he makes some damn fine movies.... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Cameron and Nolan both despise more than 5.1 for some crazy reason (I know with Nolan it's because he doesn't want the home releases to sound better than it did at the theater and he's pro-film and pro-IMAX and wishes everything else would just DIE). It's ridiculous since it's only at the theater for a short time and IMAX theaters are few and far between. I'd almost like to boycott him entirely except he makes some damn fine movies.... ;)
You think they are anti-Atmos? Those bastards! :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I know I SHOULD go watch Fantastic Beasts right now since I got Atmos + 3D to try, but somehow I don't really want to. There's Venom, but it's only 5.1 audio. I could rewatch Ghost in the Shell to see if I hear what you hear, but I just watched it a couple of months ago. Decisions decisions. I'm still waiting on The Great Wall in 3D/Atmos to arrive from England as well.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
I know I SHOULD go watch Fantastic Beasts right now since I got Atmos + 3D to try, but somehow I don't really want to. There's Venom, but it's only 5.1 audio. I could rewatch Ghost in the Shell to see if I hear what you hear, but I just watched it a couple of months ago. Decisions decisions. I'm still waiting on The Great Wall in 3D/Atmos to arrive from England as well.
Did you see Venom in the theaters in either IMAX or Atmos? It’s being re-released with IMAX enhanced ok 4K. It didn’t come out in time for the X8500H review.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
No, I haven't seen it all yet. I read about the IMAX Enhanced version recently, but I didn't see a time frame. I've thought about waiting to get that one instead of the 4K Atmos version for the IMAX Ratio (I'd rip/remux DTS:X instead then). I'm thinking about getting a 2.35:1 screen later this year, though so IMAX Enhanced wouldn't look as good (it'd be smaller on that size screen at home) in that case. Ah well, I'd watch the 3D version either way. ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No, I haven't seen it all yet. I read about the IMAX Enhanced version recently, but I didn't see a time frame. I've thought about waiting to get that one instead of the 4K Atmos version for the IMAX Ratio (I'd rip/remux DTS:X instead then). I'm thinking about getting a 2.35:1 screen later this year, though so IMAX Enhanced wouldn't look as good (it'd be smaller on that size screen at home) in that case. Ah well, I'd watch the 3D version either way. ;)
Are they still releasing 3D Blu-rays?

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
In case anyone is wondering what my Atmos/X/Auro-3D system looks like, I thought I'd attach a few pictures (which I can then reference in my signature as I don't want to use another site; AVForums didn't like that for example). FrontNewer S.jpgRearWidesRight2 S.jpgNewMassageChair01 S.jpgNewLeftRack S.jpgNewRightRack S.jpg

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Are they still releasing 3D Blu-rays?
Yes, but fewer are released in the US these days (very few). There are a lot still being released in Europe and other parts of the world, although even there a few movies weren't released in 3D on Blu-Ray that were at the the theaters (e.g. Ralph Breaks the Internet, Mission Impossible Fallout, although the latter was released on 3D streaming over Sky cable. 3D fans haven't been pleased. 3D projectors are still being made, but not TVs, which is part of the problem. If there were even a couple of 65" models, the market would probably continue indefinitely as 4K is not replacement for 3D.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I've got two more 3D movies coming from England (The Great Wall with Atmos and Maleficent) yet. That will put me at 165 3D discs in just the past 1.5 years. :D

The crazy part is I don't need to play them off discs either. I have a Zidoo X9S with two hard drives attached (8TB in total) that I dumped them all too. I can just select them off a list (along with all my other movies I have on my Apple server with another 11TB attached plus all my music, home movie and photos. I just kick back and CLICK).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis