The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Did you try the procedure I posted? You should be able to flatten the curve within an hour. You should also aim for 75 dB instead of 85 because if that huge dip. I am sure the mini cannot do better than the app if you use Ratbuddyssey.
Big thread, which post? I read everything in this thread, but its been a while since I've seen your method.

I do need to get it to 75 db so I'll redo everything tomorrow.

Thanks for taking a look. My post was more centered around the crossover point than anything, but I've learned a bit from playing around so far since you guys all put things together so well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Big thread, which post? I read everything in this thread, but its been a while since I've seen your method.

I do need to get it to 75 db so I'll redo everything tomorrow.

Thanks for taking a look. My post was more centered around the crossover point than anything, but I've learned a bit from playing around so far since you guys all put things together so well.
Sorry I couldn't find it myself! I did PM Pogre one of my spreadsheet so may be that's what I was thinking. Let me write something up for you later, for now there is a lengthy one by Jon AA. He sort of did it full range, so there's a lot to read, enjoy..it's post#84. Again, I'll try to post the one that got me within +/- 2 dB with 1/12 smoothing in my first attempt, took about 30 minutes.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you try the procedure I posted? You should be able to flatten the curve within an hour. You should also aim for 75 dB instead of 85 because if that huge dip. I am sure the mini cannot do better than the app if you use Ratbuddyssey.
I agree, with ratbuddyssey I think I can do anything with the app I can do with the mini. It's just more time consuming. If rb and the editor were available back then I probably wouldn't have gotten the mini at all. Since I already own it I use it tho, and it is a lot faster.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's what I did in my first attempt of using the Ratbuddyssey UI with the MultEQ Editor App:

1) Run Audyssey auto setup using the MultEQ Editor App.
2) Select the Ref curve, use REW to plot FR from you MMP for the range 15 to 120 Hz (as example only)
3) Set up an Excel, Google sheet, or the IOS equivalent spreadsheet to calculate boosts/cuts required quickly.
4) Pick a convenient target SPL based on the worse dips may have to ignore the sharp narrow room mode dips).
5) Select your anchor points for manual entries into Ratbuddyssey*
6) Enter the SPL values on the Y-axis that corresponds to each of the selected anchor point frequency.
7) Enter the calculated boosts/cuts required to bring the selected "anchor" points to the targeted levels.

* In picking your anchor points, try pick at least 30 points to cover the range 15 to 120 Hz (in this example)
You could try equal spacing (between frequencies) first and see how good the result look, or you can try picking about equal spacing, say every 3 Hz or even 5 Hz but always include the +/- peaks or near the peaks.

In your subsequent trials for fine tuning, always go back to the same REW reference FR graph, do NOT go by the new REW graph after your first trial adjustments have been made.

Below is an example of my reference REW FR plot (no smoothing!! for accuracy), and the Excel table shows the calculated (the "Adjustments" column) values for entering into the Ratbuddssey table.

I did not save the table that shows the 30 or so entries that got me within +/- 2 dB and the tabulated values I showed here were to be taken as an example just to show you how it looks.

Same for the Ratbuddyssey table, don't try to correlate them as I didn't do a good job in documented my many trial versions so they don't necessarily corresponds to each other.

Reference REW FR graph for picking the frequency points and the corresponding SPLs on the Y-Axis:

1593699502110.png

Enter the values to a spreadsheet table as show below, or you can do it manually but spreadsheets are much quicker.

New target SPL68
Freq on ref curveSPL on ref curveDistance from targetAdjustments
1370.842.84-2.84
1573.065.06-5.06
1671.953.95-3.95
1969.561.56-1.56
22.9668.750.75-0.75
27.6172.864.86-4.86
33.6735-5
35.7735-5
3970.482.48-2.48
4171.553.55-3.55
4570.472.47-2.47
49.764.23-3.773.77
51.665.99-2.012.01
54.269.41.4-1.4
56.368.40.4-0.4
60.670.362.36-2.36
62.569.521.52-1.52
6571.323.32-3.32
68.6691-1
77.569.761.76-1.76
7969.221.22-1.22
85.969.881.88-1.88
88.169.61.6-1.6
9668.750.75-0.75
9868.970.97-0.97
10370.182.18-2.18

Enter the necessary manual adjustments from the above spreadsheet table into Ratbuddyssey:

1593700584210.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Compare my final curve with the original Audyssey ref, no smoothing for both:

Note that the scale favors the edited one, but you are in fact looking at roughly the difference between 9 dB peak to peak and about 2.5 dB peak to peak from 19.7 to 120 Hz.

1593701257680.png

1593701237361.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, with ratbuddyssey I think I can do anything with the app I can do with the mini. It's just more time consuming. If rb and the editor were available back then I probably wouldn't have gotten the mini at all. Since I already own it I use it tho, and it is a lot faster.
For you it definitely makes sense because you already have it but for panter he probably should try the app a little harder first.:)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
For you it definitely makes sense because you already have it but for panter he probably should try the app a little harder first.:)
I will. I was expecting a ready made spreadsheet with formulas already in place, but I guess I can do a LITTLE work. :)

I'm going to try your guide and post results when I'm done. Thanks again.

EDIT: I made the spreadsheet. Column C and D shouldn't be touched since they have the simple formulas, but anyone can use this to do what we're trying to do.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I will. I was expecting a ready made spreadsheet with formulas already in place, but I guess I can do a LITTLE work. :)

EDIT: I made the spreadsheet. Column C and D shouldn't be touched since they have the simple formulas, but anyone can use this to do what we're trying to do.

Wish me luck!
I wish you luck. With patience you will succeed! :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could have a voice controlled software to which we would say for instance: "Boost the 30 Hz by 4 dB" ?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Followed @PENG instructions and it did well. I'll keep on playing around, but it doesn't seem to be able to trim as much as I'd like it to. I was going for 70db as my baseline.

Before and after adjustments below. I used the frequencies in the spreadsheet just to keep it simple for this experiment.

before and after ratbuddyssey.jpg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Followed @PENG instructions and it did well. I'll keep on playing around, but it doesn't seem to be able to trim as much as I'd like it to. I was going for 70db as my baseline.

Before and after adjustments below. I used the frequencies in the spreadsheet just to keep it simple for this experiment.

View attachment 37738
With the current settings, 75-77 dB would seem to be more realistic to reach in my opinion.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

View attachment 37738
Looked at you ref and off curve again, I would aim for 78 to 80 dB spl.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Attempt #2. I set my base db to 78 this time. MUCH close to the 75 mark, but it is getting better. This is sort of addicting... Spreadsheet makes for easy adjustments since I just have to change one number. I do need to look at toning down the boost at a few frequencies though.

ratbuddyssey 2nd attempt.jpg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Attempt #2. I set my base db to 78 this time. MUCH close to the 75 mark, but it is getting better. This is sort of addicting... Spreadsheet makes for easy adjustments since I just have to change one number. I do need to look at toning down the boost at a few frequencies though.

View attachment 37742
That is much better than with the first attempt. I think that the aim should be kept to 75 dB now. Let's see what @PENG will say.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That is much better than with the first attempt. I think that the aim should be kept to 75 dB now. Let's see what @PENG will say.
I agree. Just going to have to forget about below 25hz for now. It's interesting that targeting 78 dB got me very close to the 75 dB goal.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Wish me luck!
Right?! I figured I'd just send my ady file to Peng and he'd do all the rest for me.

:p :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Attempt #2. I set my base db to 78 this time. MUCH close to the 75 mark, but it is getting better. This is sort of addicting...
It really is! Folks give me crap because I'm never completely satisfied and always messing with it. It's not that I think what I have isn't good, it's just... kinda fun. I genuinely have fun with it. I have some ocd tendencies and this kind of thing feeds right into it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree. Just going to have to forget about below 25hz for now. It's interesting that targeting 78 dB got me very close to the 75 dB goal.
So it didn't take long you see..... You have it very close to flat now so two things to consider:

1) Any further improvement for even 0.5 dB peak to peak overall will take you 10 to 100X longer, just an educated guess.

2) You won't be able to tell a difference between +/- 1.0 dB and +/- 2.5 dB in the 20-100 Hz range if you are human.

3) Try and create your "house" curve, or just bump you subwoofer level(s) by 2 dB and see if that sounds good enough to me.

I tried to tilt the low end up per Dr. Olive and Dr. Toole's finding that most people don't prefer flat, but a gradual rise towards the low end. Well now I know I am definitely not in the "most" group as I seem to prefer the flat curve though I always use DEQ if I listen to levels well below "ref". If I turn the volume to even just -10--15, I have to turn DEQ off otherwise someone in he house will want to kill me anyway.

So 3) is probably something that you should just try. The good thing with the App is that you can save as many versions as you practically would want/need.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So it didn't take long you see..... You have it very close to flat now so two things to consider:

1) Any further improvement for even 0.5 dB peak to peak overall will take you 10 to 100X longer, just an educated guess.

2) You won't be able to tell a difference between +/- 1.0 dB and +/- 2.5 dB in the 20-100 Hz range if you are human.

3) Try and create your "house" curve, or just bump you subwoofer level(s) by 2 dB and see if that sounds good enough to me.

I tried to tilt the low end up per Dr. Olive and Dr. Toole's finding that most people don't prefer flat, but a gradual rise towards the low end. Well now I know I am definitely not in the "most" group as I seem to prefer the flat curve though I always use DEQ if I listen to levels well below "ref". If I turn the volume to even just -10--15, I have to turn DEQ off otherwise someone in he house will want to kill me anyway.

So 3) is probably something that you should just try. The good thing with the App is that you can save as many versions as you practically would want/need.
I've said it before, DEQ is my house curve. I go for as flat as possible then use the tuning options on my subs and DEQ.

06-22-20 final fr.jpg
06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ1.jpg
06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ2.jpg
06-22-20 house curve.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis