Teac Reference Series

claman

claman

Enthusiast
Hi Bill.
Center is hocked on a different relay comparted to Surround L+R, and coming form the same IC amplifier. Since Center works, than the amplifier must be ok. Also from previous post, since L is working and R with issues, I can say Main amplifier is working well. So I suspect either shorts, offset capacitor values, caps that might leek and currently shorting something, bad solder joints for those ICs(51 and 52). There are numerous causes.
1. How old is this amp?
2. how often it is being used
3. you had it for new? or it's bought SH?

You could open it yourself and do a visual inspection on all the components for: bulged capacitors, signs of leakage capacitors, burnt resistors, burned signs, anything unusual, and post some quality pictures on a Webdrive(like Google drive) where I can download it.
At least if you can measure the voltage (in mV - milli-volts) from the OUTPUT terminals would give some clues about it.

I assume the repair would be fairly cheap, and if only some resistors or capacitors, or maybe relays needs to be replaced, probably this will be taking up some money depending on quality but not too much. Relays for example can be serviced.

Regards,
Claudiu

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
Hi Bill.
Center is hocked on a different relay comparted to Surround L+R, and coming form the same IC amplifier. Since Center works, than the amplifier must be ok. Also from previous post, since L is working and R with issues, I can say Main amplifier is working well. So I suspect either shorts, offset capacitor values, caps that might leek and currently shorting something, bad solder joints for those ICs(51 and 52). There are numerous causes.
1. How old is this amp?
2. how often it is being used
3. you had it for new? or it's bought SH?

You could open it yourself and do a visual inspection on all the components for: bulged capacitors, signs of leakage capacitors, burnt resistors, burned signs, anything unusual, and post some quality pictures on a Webdrive(like Google drive) where I can download it.
At least if you can measure the voltage (in mV - milli-volts) from the OUTPUT terminals would give some clues about it.

I assume the repair would be fairly cheap, and if only some resistors or capacitors, or maybe relays needs to be replaced, probably this will be taking up some money depending on quality but not too much. Relays for example can be serviced.

Regards,
Claudiu

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
Hi Claudiu

I'd bought it second hand many years now, it a complete Teac 500 system. I use it every day for many hours, it quiet a old amp but I love it and I'd hate it if it went to land fill so I'm going to get it repaired.

So the right and left surround sound not working at all and right hand side sound muffled, scratchy and static sound's.

May I ask where are you based?
Plus is it a common problem with Teac and is it a good amplifier in your view?
So would £100 repair it or will it cost more?

And for taking hi Res images. I would know what part to take image of the amplifier to show you.

Regards Bill

claman

claman

Enthusiast
HI Bill,

I am from Romania, Bucharest
100 pounds sound too much for me. tacking into account that in UK you can find Teac A-H500i which it's the cream a la cream. I have 2 of these and sound fantastic.
So if the repaid cost 100 pounds or more it does not worth it. maybe find some other electronics guy, much cheaper.

I need picture with the inside Board, almost all parts of its internals. Big capacitors, small capacitors, everything.(if you can do that make sure is DISCONNECTED form the wall)
It's pretty hard to diagnose it over the web.
Btw, the 2nd Teac a-h500i I bought it from UK for 200 Pounds. I had to replace the main capacitors, and secondary ones, which were a little expensive, but now it's as new.

Regards,
Claudiu

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
HI Bill,

I am from Romania, Bucharest
100 pounds sound too much for me. tacking into account that in UK you can find Teac A-H500i which it's the cream a la cream. I have 2 of these and sound fantastic.
So if the repaid cost 100 pounds or more it does not worth it. maybe find some other electronics guy, much cheaper.

I need picture with the inside Board, almost all parts of its internals. Big capacitors, small capacitors, everything.(if you can do that make sure is DISCONNECTED form the wall)
It's pretty hard to diagnose it over the web.
Btw, the 2nd Teac a-h500i I bought it from UK for 200 Pounds. I had to replace the main capacitors, and secondary ones, which were a little expensive, but now it's as new.

Regards,
Claudiu

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
Once again thank you for taking the time for me Claudiu much appreciated. So Teac Ah 500i is much better than this one. The only reason I've got this AV model is because I've a Mission AS73 subwoofer which is amazing. Other wise I wouldn't be able to use it.

Plus when I find a repair engineer I shall let you know what total cost will be before committing to the repair.

I shall take photos asap.

Regards
Bill

claman

claman

Enthusiast
Hi Bill,

Your subwoofer support High level input: that means that you can split the cable that goes to your L speaker and channel it to LEFT IN and the right to RIGHT IN, and fed the Subwoofer input.
1606061360334.png

On the other hand the Subwoofer OUT from Receiver feed the RCA input (low level input)

I am using teac a-h500i + monitor audio gold 100 + Sony SA-WMS7 in the same configuration, and it's working PERFECT. I highly recommend HIGH level input compared to LOW Level input. The sound is much more detailed.
Listen to this:

You can search over the web details for the HIGH LEVEL INPUT. I am using it from forever, cause I am not fan of RECEIVERS. Quality compared to mono-blocks amplifiers(such as a-h500i) is way way lower.
Look at the specs of A-H500i compared to yours: http://www.audiorama.com.br/teac/reference500.htm#AG-H500

Hopes my lines will help you.

Regards,
Claudiu

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
Hi Bill,

Your subwoofer support High level input: that means that you can split the cable that goes to your L speaker and channel it to LEFT IN and the right to RIGHT IN, and fed the Subwoofer input.
View attachment 41912

On the other hand the Subwoofer OUT from Receiver feed the RCA input (low level input)

I am using teac a-h500i + monitor audio gold 100 + Sony SA-WMS7 in the same configuration, and it's working PERFECT. I highly recommend HIGH level input compared to LOW Level input. The sound is much more detailed.
Listen to this:

You can search over the web details for the HIGH LEVEL INPUT. I am using it from forever, cause I am not fan of RECEIVERS. Quality compared to mono-blocks amplifiers(such as a-h500i) is way way lower.
Look at the specs of A-H500i compared to yours: http://www.audiorama.com.br/teac/reference500.htm#AG-H500

Hopes my lines will help you.

Regards,
Claudiu

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
Hi Claudiu

Omg I did know that you could do that? So you double up the cable one side for the sub and other for speaker from the amplifier?

So what you saying is buy the Same amplifier as yours because is got better superior sound and better components in it?

Why you got two of the same amplifier also?

Cheers Bill

claman

claman

Enthusiast
Hi Bill,

Hi Claudiu

Omg I did know that you could do that? So you double up the cable one side for the sub and other for speaker from the amplifier?
Yes. See it below( I advise to use solid cables routed to SUB: better for BASS)
1606063570585.png

High level input: https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/how-to-connect-a-subwoofer.html

I am using one for my computer and another one for my living room speakers. That is how much I like it.
Check my previous posts. I put pictures.

Regards,
Claudiu

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
I just didn't know that you can do that, that brilliant. Thanks .

I do own the set of Teac 300 series with Teac ah300 with B & W 601 for downstairs.

There's loads of great reviews. There a few Teac a-h500i for sale various prices. Any good pointers before buying SH?
So was Teac a-h500i model top of the range in the 500 series?

So are you hifi repair engineer and plus you said you had to replace items in your Teac a-h500i what was the total cost if you don't mind telling me?

Regards Bill

claman

claman

Enthusiast
Hi Bill,

Teac A-H500i is on top of A-H500 (highly advise to go for the "i")
Usually, when you buy a SH amplifier, it totally depends on their condition. Here is just luck. But I always change capacitors from power source with something superior( Mundorf, Elna Silmic II, Panasonic FMs, Nichicon FG, KZ).
So for both Amplifiers I spend almost 200 $ in upgrade as I tend to stay on these Teac pieces. If I would be just experimenting sound I wouldn't have upgrade it, as it sounded splendid. Aging capacitors can do a lot of damage inside, but these amplifiers are having short-circuit protection inside, and I can say at to a certain point are safe to keep them.
I am not a repair engineer, I just studied Electronics and Telecommunication University, and I can say I know quite more than basics.
What to look when buying:
1. Test a piece of song where you can detect distortions, weird sounds.
2. Test it at very low level, and then gradually increase, see any signs of weird noises.
3. give some power and see how it sounds.
4. Let it run for 15-30 mins and see how hot it gets. it should be worm, not hot.
5. Put your year close to the unit. No buzzing sounds should be heard. just quiet
6. User a pair of headphones, remove any signal input, and run the amplifier from 0 to Max, there should be no noise, just some hiss at the maximum level (NO Signal INPUT just empty amplifier working on)

And that should be it.
NOTE: B & W 601 NICE Pieces btw, and Mission SUB as well. Teac 300 series is fine, but definitely would recommend move up to "i" reference series. For this money, there is nothing better, you will definitely be enjoying it, I am sure of this.

Regards,
Claudiu M.

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
Hi Bill,

Teac A-H500i is on top of A-H500 (highly advise to go for the "i")
Usually, when you buy a SH amplifier, it totally depends on their condition. Here is just luck. But I always change capacitors from power source with something superior( Mundorf, Elna Silmic II, Panasonic FMs, Nichicon FG, KZ).
So for both Amplifiers I spend almost 200 $ in upgrade as I tend to stay on these Teac pieces. If I would be just experimenting sound I wouldn't have upgrade it, as it sounded splendid. Aging capacitors can do a lot of damage inside, but these amplifiers are having short-circuit protection inside, and I can say at to a certain point are safe to keep them.
I am not a repair engineer, I just studied Electronics and Telecommunication University, and I can say I know quite more than basics.
What to look when buying:
1. Test a piece of song where you can detect distortions, weird sounds.
2. Test it at very low level, and then gradually increase, see any signs of weird noises.
3. give some power and see how it sounds.
4. Let it run for 15-30 mins and see how hot it gets. it should be worm, not hot.
5. Put your year close to the unit. No buzzing sounds should be heard. just quiet
6. User a pair of headphones, remove any signal input, and run the amplifier from 0 to Max, there should be no noise, just some hiss at the maximum level (NO Signal INPUT just empty amplifier working on)

And that should be it.
NOTE: B & W 601 NICE Pieces btw, and Mission SUB as well. Teac 300 series is fine, but definitely would recommend move up to "i" reference series. For this money, there is nothing better, you will definitely be enjoying it, I am sure of this.

Regards,
Claudiu M.

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
Hi Claudiu

Oh that amazing, I wish I knew more about electronic lol
Thanks for the tips before buying SH.

The Teac 300 and B & W 601 I purchased from a guy at my job back when it first came out. He had won it on a radio competition in the UK. I purchased it for £195 in total, what a bargain of century.

Yeah the Mission AS73 is so powerful especially powered with Mission 735 floorstanding for my main speaker.

I'm on the hunt for Teac A-H500i from your recommendation mate.

I like to thank you for your time and help. Stay Safe and good luck at university.
I shall be in touch soon.

Regards Bill

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
Hi mate
I hope you okay?
I trying to buy 500i on eBay tonight lol I'm sooo excited. What is a good price?

Regards Bill

claman

claman

Enthusiast
Hi Bill,

I would say 200 GBP or max 250 GBP with remote and PERFECT visual and working condition.
If you can't find one now, be patient until you find a good looking one ;) . There is one on ebay now:
but I can spot some signs on Power button and on CD Direct button, which tells me that was intensively used. Also do not forget to test is with HEADPHONES. There are sounds which you cannot hear with speakers ;)

Regards,
Claudiu M.

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
Hi Bill,

I would say 200 GBP or max 250 GBP with remote and PERFECT visual and working condition.
If you can't find one now, be patient until you find a good looking one ;) . There is one on ebay now:
but I can spot some signs on Power button and on CD Direct button, which tells me that was intensively used. Also do not forget to test is with HEADPHONES. There are sounds which you cannot hear with speakers ;)

Regards,
Claudiu M.

claman

claman

Enthusiast
It really looks good and great price for this baby!
You saw those reviews ;) After I heard my first one, I bought a second one. Really enjoy them.
Well I am also in customization, and upgrades but that RIAA stage (just with capacitors changed, couple of $) it sounds fantastic to me. I have a Reloop RP7000 MKII Gold edition, and I can say it sound excellent.
1606223707958.png

if you have any questions related to my AMP upgrades please ask, I will be helping you with joy.
Also I have added a Bluetooth Adapter (bought from ebay with 30$ to play remotely)

Regards,
Claudiu M.

B

Bill73

Audioholic Intern
It really looks good and great price for this baby!
You saw those reviews ;) After I heard my first one, I bought a second one. Really enjoy them.
Well I am also in customization, and upgrades but that RIAA stage (just with capacitors changed, couple of $) it sounds fantastic to me. I have a Reloop RP7000 MKII Gold edition, and I can say it sound excellent.
View attachment 41973
if you have any questions related to my AMP upgrades please ask, I will be helping you with joy.
Also I have added a Bluetooth Adapter (bought from ebay with 30$ to play remotely)

Regards,
Claudiu M.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis