SVS 1000 Series Subwoofers Get a Major Redesign

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I say this very lightly, as I’ve historically felt SVS was great value. AND I am an owner. But for a while now, I have felt that for the money, there are better options. I definitely have recommended newer SVS models, but mostly if an OP asks about them specifically. And even then, still consider other options.
They're often not my first thought, either. They do have that home trial round trip thing and really good CS in general and the trade-up thing and all that. Is this some particular sub amp it's supposed to be normal or all their sub amps?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Does he specify anything about spl? That would be as annoying as my old amp that has started up again with some transformer noise....but really only bothers me when nothing is playing otoh. That amp is over 30 years old, tho.
Don’t remember anything about spl(if you mean the volume of the noise). Only that it’s normal, and unless it’s bothering you don’t worry about. I’ve had him issues that drove me up the wall, but that was cable related. Disappointing in 2021 that a premier manufacturer says that’s ok.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They're often not my first thought, either. They do have that home trial round trip thing and really good CS in general and the trade-up thing and all that. Is this some particular sub amp it's supposed to be normal or all their sub amps?
Pretty sure it’s all the new amps. Can’t remember exactly.
For ME, I don’t give a Fukk a app control but I’m way beyond the average user. Also, that award winning CS isn’t free. Unless there’s something catastrophic, I know what I’m buying so I don’t wanna pay for Tom dikk and Harry to send their poop back and forth on my dime while they figure out what the hell they wanna do. Plus, even if you could pick from ANY sub on the planet, no cost involved, there are better options. I’ve been satisfied with mine, but when I’m finally able to upgrade mine, I know what I’m gonna do.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty sure it’s all the new amps. Can’t remember exactly.
For ME, I don’t give a Fukk a Papp control but I’m way beyond the average user. Also, that award winning CS isn’t free. Unless there’s something catastrophic, I know what I’m buying so I don’t wanna pay for Tom dikk and Harry to send their poop back and forth on my dime while they figure out what the hell they wanna do. Plus, even if you could pick from ANY sub on the planet, no cost involved, there are better options. I’ve been satisfied with mine, but when I’m finally able to upgrade mine, I know what I’m gonna do.
Yep know what I'm gonna do too, just diy it when it comes to subs from here out....don't need no stinking app control :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For ME, I don’t give a Fukk a Papp control but I’m way beyond the average user.
That app control has a 3-band parametric EQ. That is great for an advanced user, it means you don't have to buy a separate equalizer for the subs. All you need to do is measure it, and make the adjustments on the sub itself.

I don't really care about the rest of the features on the app, and those other app controls should be made from the AVR, not the sub itself anyway.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That app control has a 3-band parametric EQ. That is great for an advanced user, it means you don't have to buy a separate equalizer for the subs. All you need to do is measure it, and make the adjustments on the sub itself.

I don't really care about the rest of the features on the app, and those other app controls should be made from the AVR, not the sub itself anyway.
I can’t disagree with this at all. But not being the average user, as I mentioned, I do have a minidsp and umik. So while the eq portion of the app would be easier than loading filters etc, it’s already part of my process. Now, if I only had one sub, or didn’t have all the gear it would be potentially appealing.
Definitely agree with the other things being done in the AVR though. So like everything in out wonderful hobby. It depends! So many use cases.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep know what I'm gonna do too, just diy it when it comes to subs from here out....don't need no stinking app control :)
Right on. I have considered a few DIY options. Still squirreling away...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe you just need David Gage at Deep Sea Sound to do a WAF friendly build? (he uses good amps, too....)

audioworkshop

audioworkshop

Audiophyte
Black box with a speaker in it... that's innovative

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
More so, why is the PB1000pro lighter than the PB1000.

I'm not talking about the PB3000 or the mono 12.

The PBpro and the mono 10 are pretty much the same size in dimensions.

I'm sure SVS did their homework, I'm not trying to discredit their engineering, just curious on how they were able to reduce weight.... I know other companies will do matrix bracing...but I would imagine the research and development is pretty expensive for that type of bracing.
We made several engineering changes to the PB-1000 Pro that results in some weight savings:

The grill went from MDF to plastic injection mold.

The PB-1000 bracing layout had more MDF due to the size and diagonal path of the single port. The new PB-1000 Pro ports have a much more uniform, efficient and lighter bracing system to support the dual ports and brace the cabinet.

The new Sledge STA-325D amplifier is considerably lighter (while also being more powerful and lower distortion) than the Sledge STA-300D. The new STA-325D has major design and architectural updates internally with efficient optimizations for material usage, heat-sinking and the DSP board.

While the new PB-1000 Pro 12" woofer is larger, the cone/suspension/VC has a very low moving mass, and the basket is a stronger and lighter design. The surround and top gasket were also redesigned, allowing the elimination of a large rubber trim ring.

All told we achieved an approximately 10% weight reduction through advancements in engineering and design, along with a substantial increase in performance.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Anyone have what sounds like electrical/coil whine on the back of their sub? Just got my 1000 pro's and they both do it plugged into separate power outlets. If you turn them off it goes away...
You might be able to hear a very faint sound like that - but only with your ear near the back of the amp. I can't hear it at all with either of my 1000 Pro subs.

If you can hear it at the listening position, that is absolutely not normal and the amps (or the subs) should be replaced. Sorry for the problem and please contact us in Customer Service and we'll get you taken care of.

XDM

XDM

Enthusiast
I don't get a lot of cabin gain in my room. The SB-1000 Pro doesn't look like it would yield a whole lot of cabin gain, since there is a high-pass filter. It looks to me it is being filtered at a 24dB/octave starting at 25Hz. That is the kind of response resembles a ported subwoofer response.
It's also likely compressing at that frequency (25Hz) and below, as SVS did with the SB-2000 Pro, and even with the SB-3000 Pro:

The graph below shows that, with the two loudest input signals, the SB-2000 Pro exhibits noticeable compression (i.e., its measured output no longer tracks increases in volume) at 20Hz, the very bottom of the audioband. The two top plots show effectively the same SPL of 102-103dB at 20Hz, despite the increase of 3dB on the SB-2000’s volume setting. That’s compression.

(...)

The plot below, of the SB-3000, shows roughly the same compression at 20Hz, but it’s also clear that the SB-3000 can output higher SPLs at around 17-18Hz than could the SB-2000 Pro.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis