Dual SVS PB-1000 Pro vs Dual Hsu VTF-2 MK5

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Too tall, would block projection screen.
Would it push the 590’s out too far if you put the pc’s behind them in the corners? You mentioned obstacles but without seeing the room, it’s hard to know.
Is still get the HSU’s.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Would it push the 590’s out too far if you put the pc’s behind them in the corners? You mentioned obstacles but without seeing the room, it’s hard to know.
Is still get the HSU’s.
As far as the size limitation goes, if that really is the sticking point, the dimensions of the PB2000 Pro are almost identical to the VTF-2 MK5, and the PB3000 is only slightly bigger.

Just sayin'...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As far as the size limitation goes, if that really is the sticking point, the dimensions of the PB2000 Pro are almost identical to the VTF-2 MK5, and the PB3000 is only slightly bigger.

Just sayin'...
Wonder where the hard limit is lol.
Imo the 3000 series is SVS’s best value. Iirc the pb3k and the mk5 are very close in performance. I still think the shoes and a umik are the way to go. A pair of fv15hp would be good too but might be too big, but now I fear the rabbit hole is talkin!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with you guys. My vote for the pc 2000 was based on its smaller footprint. But the 2000 series I think will still be tested hard in OP’s room.
PB 3000s or at Hsu VTF-2s should be much more ideal for handling that space.

As it stands, OP is placing the value on the room rather than the gear. Not much else can be said or done.

I would love to see a refresh of the Bassaholic system and new discussion of the balance between Subwoofer performance and the room size they are in. This was a very engaging way for me to dig into Subwoofers and performance constraints, making it easy in some ways to do a short dive as opposed to the deep dive some of us are into. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wonder where the hard limit is lol.
Imo the 3000 series is SVS’s best value. Iirc the pb3k and the mk5 are very close in performance. I still think the shoes and a umik are the way to go. A pair of fv15hp would be good too but might be too big, but now I fear the rabbit hole is talkin!
I agree with you guys. My vote for the pc 2000 was based on its smaller footprint. But the 2000 series I think will still be tested hard in OP’s room.
PB 3000s or at Hsu VTF-2s should be much more ideal for handling that space.

As it stands, OP is placing the value on the room rather than the gear. Not much else can be said or done.

I would love to see a refresh of the Bassaholic system and new discussion of the balance between Subwoofer performance and the room size they are in. This was a very engaging way for me to dig into Subwoofers and performance constraints, making it easy in some ways to do a short dive as opposed to the deep dive some of us are into. :D
You guys think the VTF-2 will still outperform the PB2000 Pro? I might have to rethink my recommendations. I really thought the 1000 series refresh put them in more direct competition with the VTF-2. Sounds like the VTF-2 is still the preferred choice between those 2, but also preferred over the 2000 series?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You guys think the VTF-2 will still outperform the PB2000 Pro? I might have to rethink my recommendations. I really thought the 1000 series refresh put them in more direct competition with the VTF-2. Sounds like the VTF-2 is still the preferred choice between those 2, but also preferred over the 2000 series?
I think it’s probably a close call that comes down to minute differences… hair splitting details. :)
I was surprised at the overall similarity of the 1000 and 2000 series once the 1000s were finally refreshed. Left me questioning what their strategy was. Didn’t lose too much [none] sleep over it though. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it’s probably a close call that comes down to minute differences… hair splitting details. :)
I was surprised at the overall similarity of the 1000 and 2000 series once the 1000s were finally refreshed. Left me questioning what their strategy was. Didn’t lose too much [none] sleep over it though. ;)
They do spec pretty close now that I look more closely. The 2000 has the edge in power, but that doesn't mean much if HSU uses higher sensitivity drivers. Given that, it does look like HSU is still more preferable when you factor in the price.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They do spec pretty close now that I look more closely. The 2000 has the edge in power, but that doesn't mean much if HSU uses higher sensitivity drivers. Given that, it does look like HSU is still more preferable when you factor in the price.
The one big difference that means nothing to ME, is the app. I know het and mark both love it as well as others. But like you, my use case is different. Sooooooooo, with that, I still value performance over convenience. JMO. As you very valuably noted, the power vs sensitivity could easily be where the dust settles and IME, the efficiency of the larger driver wins most of the time.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was also surprised at the refresh, and confused my the long game. I have my personal thoughts but at the end of the day, being in the SVS ecosystem can go a loooong way. Peace of mind is value too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The one big difference that means nothing to ME, is the app. I know het and mark both love it as well as others. But like you, my use case is different. Sooooooooo, with that, I still value performance over convenience. JMO. As you very valuably noted, the power vs sensitivity could easily be where the dust settles and IME, the efficiency of the larger driver wins most of the time.
Yeah, the app is nice but like you I'm set up to where I don't need it. It is a very cool perk tho if you're not a neurotic tweaker, and helps justify the higher cost. I also think SVS subs look nicer, and you and I have talked about this before, once you get into their ecosystem it's tough to get out. Their trade up program and risk free return policy are nice, and their support is awesome. They've gone outside warranty for me a couple of times too.

I can't even get HSU to send me a couple of badges for the grilles without charging me for it. One of my dogs, puppy at the time, got hold of both and chewed 'em up! I'm positive SVS wouldn't have hesitated to send me a couple for free. Not to beat up on HSU, I just got a little spoiled with SVS. I have a huge room tho, and can't afford the right subs from SVS so HSU won for me. I'd need at minimum a pair of PB3000s, if not a pair of PB4000s. You just can't beat the price/performance ratio with HSU.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
In talking with the tech at SVS he pretty much told me as far as performance goes the 1000 pro was on par with the current 2000 pro I’d just be sacrificing a little power that he said meant a db or mabey 2 but that the sledge amp in the 1000 pro could easily hit peaks of 800 watts I’ve come to understand I’ve got a large room and it is . Now Iam only basing my comments on what I had compared to what I have now . After talking with them it seemed they thought if these are setup right they would easily preform with the current 2000 pros with the upgrades they put into these . Now Iam an amp and towers kind of guy and always thought my old subs did a good job till I set these up and was just blown away how room filling these are . I’ve always subscribed to the thought that the center in the main speaker to get right and now I see why haveing really good subs are I’d say just as important to the mix .
Now the app is really helpful in changing settings and I can see if used with say rew you could set in your spot and make changes with peq on the fly so to speak. I was haveing a problem with music till I found the presets and I’ve definitely improved that a lot . The only thing I can see in the app is with running duel subs once the levels are set it would be nice if you could make adjustments globally for both instead of haveing to switch to the sub in question but hey it still beats getting up and walking across the room for a slight turn of the knobs.
I’ve yet to dial these in perfect but I’ve no doubt they can be these in conjunction with the new center have made a dramatic difference in my soundstage . No question bigger and more powerful subs can go way deeper but for what these are these are impressive . I would have gotten the 2000 pros if the difference would have been that substantial and they said it wouldn’t be so I saved a few coin and upgraded the center too may have trimmed the corner of overall performance a little but hey I can always trade up and that’s a plus .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I would say there going to redo the 2000 pro and the 3000 series after they’ve tested the waters with this revamped 1000 pro .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In talking with the tech at SVS he pretty much told me as far as performance goes the 1000 pro was on par with the current 2000 pro I’d just be sacrificing a little power that he said meant a db or mabey 2 but that the sledge amp in the 1000 pro could easily hit peaks of 800 watts I’ve come to understand I’ve got a large room and it is . Now Iam only basing my comments on what I had compared to what I have now . After talking with them it seemed they thought if these are setup right they would easily preform with the current 2000 pros with the upgrades they put into these .
Well poop, it sounds like they really closed the gap between the 1000 and 2000 series subs. That said, the refresh of the 1000 series is pretty substantial then.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Well poop, it sounds like they really closed the gap between the 1000 and 2000 series subs. That said, the refresh of the 1000 series is pretty substantial then.
We’ll Iam not a guru on subs by anybody’s stretch of the imagination lol . But when I buy I do research quite heavily honestly I’d say there going to revamp those other models as I’ve seen where you can upgrade the amp in the 3000 model if you send it in now Iam not sure if it costs extra or not my understanding is it’s a swap out I dunno . I would say after these have been out and played with they may do something similar with the 1000 pros too mabey not . But Iam here for it if so .These are basically a brand new design but with the old model number and they did say that there always improving each model and if it’s an upgrade like an amp or driver that for the most part it’s Farley free too just pay shipping , sometimes not . I do know these new designs you can upgrade the firmware with the usb on the back I really can’t imagine what that would be unless it’s the dsp part it’s already got about every feature you could think of .
With that being said the wife decided to buy new furniture for this room and rearrange the seating to better space out the seating and open up the room more . Lol Iam like wth I just got this zeroed in now you want the best seat in the house :) . We’ll see how this changes there performance .

RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Audioholic Intern
The room dimensions (specifically the wall length against which all the equipment must go) are simply the fixed variable in this equation. They are what they are.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The room dimensions (specifically the wall length against which all the equipment must go) are simply the fixed variable in this equation. They are what they are.
I get it... no judgement here. :) We all have aspects of our systems that are out of our control, and even the most fortunate with custom built spaces still end up with some limitation(s) to contend with.

RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Audioholic Intern
I think I can squeeze a couple of inches of additional width and up the budget a bit (but still keeping it under $2k). It's a real shame SVS doesn't seem to have a direct competitor to Hsu's VTF-3 Mk5. I'm sure a dual set of VTF-3 Mk5 would fill my space better, but SVS has such a superior warranty, return policy, trade-up program plus the app control. Ugh.

Dual VTF-3 Mk5 would run about $1,900 vs $1,700 for a pair of PB-2000 Pros.

RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Audioholic Intern
I would say there going to redo the 2000 pro and the 3000 series after they’ve tested the waters with this revamped 1000 pro .
Since the 2000 Pro revamp came just a year before the 1000 Pro, I assume the 1000 Pro incorporated a lot of the 2000 Pro redesign elements. So I doubt the 1000 Pro is going to trigger another 2000 Pro revamp in the near future.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Since the 2000 Pro revamp came just a year before the 1000 Pro, I assume the 1000 Pro incorporated a lot of the 2000 Pro redesign elements. So I doubt the 1000 Pro is going to trigger another 2000 Pro revamp in the near future.
My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis