SVS 3000 Series Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Last fall, SVS released the 3000 series subwoofers which was said to bridge the performance and price gap between their 2000 and 4000 subwoofer lines. This role had formerly been filled by the ‘12-Plus’ line before they were discontinued. SVS’s naming system of using numerations of one thousand helped simplify redesigned models of previous names, so the redesign of the ‘13-Ultra’ series became the 4000 series, and the ‘12-NSD’ series became the 2000 series. Those were redesigns that kept the same basic construction, so much of the cabinet design and driver design remained the same, which is not a bad thing since they had been proven to work very well. The 3000 series, on the other hand, is quite different and does not bear resemblance to the ‘12-Plus’ series that it takes over in SVS’s price/performance ladder. It is a totally different design that uses an entirely different driver, cabinet, and amplifier. A couple of aspects remain the same, such as the use of variable port tuning and the 800 watt RMS power rating of the amp, but it really is an entirely different subwoofer. Read our full review to find out what SVS has done to fill the gap at this important price point.

READ:
SVS 3000 Series Subwoofer Review

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice one Shady.
Just for perspective... and though it’s been awhile since you had it... how would you compare the X13 and the PB3000 (as they seem to match up pretty well in many characteristics)?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice one Shady.
Just for perspective... and though it’s been awhile since you had it... how would you compare the X13 and the PB3000 (as they seem to match up pretty well in many characteristics)?
The PB-3000 has a bit more output capability overall. The X13 is chasing a bit deeper bass while adhering to THX's requirements for certification. The X13 is a prettier sub that supports multiple tuning modes. The PB-3000 does support a sealed operating mode and has app control. The only really useful thing on the app for most end users will probably be the PEQ controls, and even then only if you are really into tweaking the sub. The other controls it has would better be controlled through the AVR or processor, not the sub itself. They are both terrific subs and you can't go wrong with either.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Bravo bravo bravo! Outstanding review Shady!!!! It makes me sick to my stomach to think about how much money I could have saved going with the 3000 PB vs the 4000 except for deep bass it matches or bests it at every Fr@$!!# frequency range from around 25hz all the way up! Thank you Shady for f@$!#ing doing this review! :D Just kidding Kind off Lol!

It destroys the old pb12+ line it's replacing and addresses some of the complaints people have had about a tendency to have slight weakness in the upper part of the bass frequency vs they're lower end

SVS really really did there homework on this I'm extremely impressed at what you get for the money on this line

If they did this for the 3000 series I can only imagine what the new 2000 series can deliver

Although I'll be super curious about what they can do considering that even though they look similar to the 3000 series there are some differences in the driver design that make we wonder if they are going to be quiet a jump up as these are compared to there predecessor

Although I can't discount it it's quiet clear when SVS upgrades a line and raises the price it isn't just extra features your paying for its extra performance

Just on this review alone I'm almost convinced to go with the new 2000 series for my bedroom although I think I may wait until your official review later in the year when you can start testing again

F@$!# oh well at least with the 4000 subs I have one extra port. You guys know how I feel about those! ;)

Excellent review though Shady once again very well done

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Had looked at the 3000 when I was ordering, but the sale pricing of the 4000 was so good I just went ahead with that. Had this review been out, I might have reconsidered :) Zero complaints about the 4000 though.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Had looked at the 3000 when I was ordering, but the sale pricing of the 4000 was so good I just went ahead with that. Had this review been out, I might have reconsidered :) Zero complaints about the 4000 though.
Congrats! Which version did you go with?

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Its seems to be a conundrum between the 2000 Pro and the 3000. Awesome review many have been waiting for James. I've actually been putting off my "serious" subwoofer purchase for these review results.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Its seems to be a conundrum between the 2000 Pro and the 3000. Awesome review many have been waiting for James. I've actually been putting off my "serious" subwoofer purchase for these review results.
Only thing is were not sure how well the 2000 pro stacks up yet can't wait till they review it and we can get some measurements

L

Luckymckay21

Audiophyte
Great review Shady J. I was curious about your thoughts on how the pb3000 compares to the HSU VTF3 MK5 15" sub? I'm debating on switching out my dual VTF3.5 subs for the pb3000's.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Great review Shady J. I was curious about your thoughts on how the pb3000 compares to the HSU VTF3 MK5 15" sub? I'm debating on switching out my dual VTF3.5 subs for the pb3000's.
You might see a moderate increase in deep bass performance from 20 to 25 Hz, but otherwise it would be more of a lateral move. The SVS sub is more sophisticated though with the app and finer control over operation parameters. If you are looking for a really tangible performance increase, I would aim higher.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis