Dual SVS PB-1000 Pro vs Dual Hsu VTF-2 MK5

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Since the 2000 Pro revamp came just a year before the 1000 Pro, I assume the 1000 Pro incorporated a lot of the 2000 Pro redesign elements. So I doubt the 1000 Pro is going to trigger another 2000 Pro revamp in the near future.
Bummer although I didn’t know about the revamp on the 2000 last year so your probably spot on !

RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Audioholic Intern
Bummer although I didn’t know about the revamp on the 2000 last year so your probably spot on !
Well, Dec. 2019 for the 2000 Pro release and March 2020 for the 1000 Pro release, so just a little over a year apart.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't heard the PB 1000 Pro but I have the PB 2000 Pro and it's pretty awesome. I love this thing. It shakes my room pretty dam good.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I haven't heard the PB 1000 Pro but I have the PB 2000 Pro and it's pretty awesome. I love this thing. It shakes my room pretty dam good.

I’ve got duel Pb 1000 pros in a large room and there quite impressive these shakes the whole house .

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If SVS updates anything next, it will be the 16-Ultras and/or the 4000 Series... I don't know which is older, but these are the older models in their lineup.
The 3000 Series was based on the 16-Ultra and 4000 series, which is why so many regard the 3000s as the best value. As I understand it the two Pro updates to the 2000, then 1000 Series were based on the success they had in the 3000 Series and trickling down their tech to make those better.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve got duel Pb 1000 pros in a large room and there quite impressive these shakes the whole house .
Well to be fair I have the PB 2000 Pro working with the original PB 1000 that I already had. I don't think you can go wrong with SVS.

RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Audioholic Intern
SVS is only price-competitive with Hsu at the low-tier price levels and unfortunately doesn't offer anything directly comparable to the VTF-3 Mk5. If they did, that's what I would pick without question.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think I can squeeze a couple of inches of additional width and up the budget a bit (but still keeping it under $2k). It's a real shame SVS doesn't seem to have a direct competitor to Hsu's VTF-3 Mk5. I'm sure a dual set of VTF-3 Mk5 would fill my space better, but SVS has such a superior warranty, return policy, trade-up program plus the app control. Ugh.

Dual VTF-3 Mk5 would run about $1,900 vs $1,700 for a pair of PB-2000 Pros.
You would have to step up to the PB3000s to compete with the VTF 3s.
And yes... while SVS cost is higher... you are paying for their Customer Bill of Rights and the two-way shipping, upgrade privilege, etc. To be fair, as others have stated, once in the SVS ecosystem, its hard to get out because they are an awesome company to order from, and their gear is pretty well regarded.
But: you pay for those privileges up front.

Only the buyer can determine if it's worthwhile for them.

I have heard ZERO complaints about HSU by those who own them, and the VTF-3 and VTF-15 are both very good, potent Subs. Between the two, they are the same Driver and Amp, just box size and tuning is what separates them.

By all accounts, the VTF-3 will outperform the PB 2000 Pro in most metrics.

Keep in mind, when suggesting these Subs to people, its not because we are trying to inundate you with Bass and make your "sofa levitate." ;) It is about getting the right level of performance for the space you have. If you crank the PB 1000 Pro to get the feel you want, you could possibly end up overdriving it in your space. The VTF-3 on the other hand is effectively designed for very large/"extreme" spaces and you will be operating it well within its designed parameters which will me clean and linear LF reproduction with very minimal chance of distortion.

Hope this helps!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You would have to step up to the PB3000s to compete with the VTF 3s.
And yes... while SVS cost is higher... you are paying for their Customer Bill of Rights and the two-way shipping, upgrade privilege, etc. To be fair, as others have stated, once in the SVS ecosystem, its hard to get out because they are an awesome company to order from, and their gear is pretty well regarded.
But: you pay for those privileges up front.

Only the buyer can determine if it's worthwhile for them.

I have heard ZERO complaints about HSU by those who own them, and the VTF-3 and VTF-15 are both very good, potent Subs. Between the two, they are the same Driver and Amp, just box size and tuning is what separates them.

By all accounts, the VTF-3 will outperform the PB 2000 Pro in most metrics.

Keep in mind, when suggesting these Subs to people, its not because we are trying to inundate you with Bass and make your "sofa levitate." ;) It is about getting the right level of performance for the space you have. If you crank the PB 1000 Pro to get the feel you want, you could possibly end up overdriving it in your space. The VTF-3 on the other hand is effectively designed for very large/"extreme" spaces and you will be operating it well within its designed parameters which will me clean and linear LF reproduction with very minimal chance of distortion.

Hope this helps!
I agree with all of this. Well stated as usual.
(hi ryno!)
But on top of that, everyone pays for the bill of rights. Whether they use it or not. That’s how SVS can send out countless replacement amps and drivers and free two way shipping etc. It’s great they can offer that. But what if you never need that stuff? What if you get the right sub the first time? And what if it never needs a new amp? Then you’ve just paid for everyone else to get serviced by SVS. Don’t get me wrong, they’re a great company to deal with and have served me well with out of warranty service too. 2/3 of the subs in my main system are SVS, and I have experience with their others as well.
Again, I’m not knocking them. Just saying that value is measured differently for different people. For me, the likes of HSU, Rythmik, monolith, outlaw and PSA etc, offer better value because what I’m paying for is tangible. Plus, I’m not paying or everybody else’s bill of rights. If a given customer has a better sleep factor by the added premium, I can’t begrudge them that in the least.
It’s all about what makes you happy!

M

mreynolds767

Audiophyte
Cannot add much of value to this conversation but another vote for the SVS pair.
I just got a new amp for my older SVS PB13 Ultra ; the new amp is the same used and same app control as the PB4000 model. I assume the app control on the PB1000 will also be the same.

I only have a single sub, not duals. Don't think my brain could withstand the pounding 2 must provide.

I didn't think I would care much for the app control as I have calibrated everything correctly previously and have a sub EQ between the receiver and sub ; never felt a need to go to the dials at the back of the sub for years.
However with control as easy as on your phone, I frequently have been adjusting the gain higher or lower for more or less bass response depending on content. Much easier than changing the channel volume on the receiver.
Could be as simple as adjusting down for regular TV listening or when your child has taken control of the TV.

Of course SVS service as many have mentioned is top notch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis