Sub upgrade opinions

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That's where I found out about the Canton's. :)

I have Canton Vento 836 bookshelves (Canton ls300 stands) with the Chrono SL 556.2 center and Chrono SL 516.2 on wall for surrounds in my 5.1.

The 830.2 In black is on sale for only $750 right now and that one sounds identical to the 836. I have a pair of the smaller 820.2 bookshelves in my bedroom 2.1.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to keep an eye on the cantons. maybe later this year I'll be ready to jump on that upgrade. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to having a real sub in the mix and hoping the PC2000 does the trick and I don't need to go back to try something different. Thanks again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to keep an eye on the cantons. maybe later this year I'll be ready to jump on that upgrade. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to having a real sub in the mix and hoping the PC2000 does the trick and I don't need to go back to try something different. Thanks again.
You don’t even know.... mwahahaha!!!

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Are there any on-wall speakers worth considering from my front L/R/C ? Given my tight floor space, I'm wondering if maybe it makes sense to upgrade to better on-wall speakers. I see here on the forum an ad for RBH speakers, but not sure if there are other higher end ones that would be an upgrade over Deftech or if I'm better finding floor mounts that are less deep.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
On a side note, I called DefTech with my serial number and they gave me a couple of tests to run to confirm the amp board was dead (which I told them from start it was..... LOL). Anyway, its out of warranty as it was purchased in 2015, but the replacement amp board is available for $128 plus shipping/tax. Not sure if I want to fool with getting it repaired or not. Probably can't get that much out of it if I sold it after repair and I'm just not sure I want to use it anywhere else either.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
what about the svs ultra speakers? How do they compare to the canton's?

I think @KEW said the Ultra Bookshelves tweeters were not as good as the Vento or Chrono SL. He has the Vento 876 towers if I remember right but also has the 536.2 Chrono SL books and a few other models.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think @KEW said the Ultra Bookshelves tweeters were not as good as the Vento or Chrono SL. He has the Vento 876 towers if I remember right but also has the 536.2 Chrono SL books and a few other models.
He did say that, and the Ultras are very good speakers too. I never regretted buying them, but if I were shopping in that price range again I would probably get the Cantons. They weren't available at this price when I bought the Ultras, damnit.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are there any on-wall speakers worth considering from my front L/R/C ? Given my tight floor space, I'm wondering if maybe it makes sense to upgrade to better on-wall speakers. I see here on the forum an ad for RBH speakers, but not sure if there are other higher end ones that would be an upgrade over Deftech or if I'm better finding floor mounts that are less deep.
I'm not a fan of the form factor myself, but they do make some nice ones. You'll pay a bit of a premium for them tho. I like the Canton options being bandied about right now. I skipped over a couple of pages and didn't see what you ended up for a sub (or 2, you have a large area to fill). I like the idea of a pair of PC2000s. What did you go with?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
He did say that, and the Ultras are very good speakers too. I never regretted buying them, but if I were shopping in that price range again I would probably get the Cantons. They weren't available at this price when I bought the Ultras, damnit.
The SVS tweeter is also really good. Coin Toss

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I'm not a fan of the form factor myself, but they do make some nice ones. You'll pay a bit of a premium for them tho. I like the Canton options being bandied about right now. I skipped over a couple of pages and didn't see what you ended up for a sub (or 2, you have a large area to fill). I like the idea of a pair of PC2000s. What did you go with?
I ordered a single PC-2000 Pro for starters with idea that I can add a second down road if needed. Should be here tomorrow.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I got my Cantons on their advice here and on a gamble. I bought the smaller bookshelves 820.2 for a test for my bedroom 2.1. Then I went all in for the man cave a few months later for 5.1. (well I stopped myself from buying the towers so maybe I did have some restraint. The 890.2 towers were in my shopping cart but I removed them...) LOL :).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The SVS tweeter is also really good. Coin Toss
It is. I love my Ultras and to be fair I have not heard the Cantons at all. Kew is who guided me to the Ultras and one or 2 other sets of speakers tho so I know his tastes and mine overlap pretty heavily. He did also say that it's not night and day, and that he'd be just as happy to listen to the Ultras.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered a single PC-2000 Pro for starters with idea that I can add a second down road if needed. Should be here tomorrow.
Awesome!!! Your in for as Surprise
Agree! That's a really nice sub and I think he made a good choice.

I also think once you get a taste of that sweet, sweet, smooth SVS bass you're gonna have a hard time not buying a 2nd one!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On a side note, I called DefTech with my serial number and they gave me a couple of tests to run to confirm the amp board was dead (which I told them from start it was..... LOL). Anyway, its out of warranty as it was purchased in 2015, but the replacement amp board is available for $128 plus shipping/tax. Not sure if I want to fool with getting it repaired or not. Probably can't get that much out of it if I sold it after repair and I'm just not sure I want to use it anywhere else either.
The DT subs have inordinately high resale value so you might look thru sold listings on ebay first to get an idea....I was surprised when I looked the other day at a particular DT model that someone was considering repairing and selling.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For me the clarity of the Canton Ceramic tweeter is competitive with the Be tweeter of my Focal or the RAAL. The Ultra is not.
The Ultra is either the best or second best aluminium tweeter I have heard (I am thinking of the LS50's tweeter when I say this, but overall, I liked the Ultra more than the LS50 for other reasons).
Before I heard the Canton against my other speakers, the Ultra was my champion in this price range and I recommended it to several people who had a budget of around $1000 (or, ideally $800 since SVS's B-stock is consistently in nice condition).
Once I heard and compared the Canton Vento to my other speakers, it was decidedly better in the top end, having the kind of clarity I had only heard from Be tweeters before!
If you did not notice a clear winner, I suspect that you listened to one, then had a wait before you heard the other. The Ultra is good enough that it will impress me, and if I then had to wait 5 minutes before listening to my Focals, I am not sure I would know the difference! However, after listening to them in an A-B comparison with instant switching, the Ultra does not have the clarity of a Be tweeter like the Canton does!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis