Sub upgrade opinions

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
1. Was this little 8" sub used in your current room?
2. How was the bass performance?

Yes, it was. Behind the sofa in the corner. I think the corner loading is the only thing that helped it out. The bass was punch and very localized. If you tried to get more lower end sound out of it, you could hear the woofer itself flutter and chattering. Pushed it well beyond it's mechanical limits most likely.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I can't wait. you guys are funny. I'll try to remember to circle back once I get it tuned up and watch some content. Received the fedex shipping notification this morning. Maybe get it by Thurs or Fri. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it was. Behind the sofa in the corner. I think the corner loading is the only thing that helped it out. The bass was punch and very localized. If you tried to get more lower end sound out of it, you could hear the woofer itself flutter and chattering. Pushed it well beyond it's mechanical limits most likely.
So the woofer broke, not the amp?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
So the woofer broke, not the amp?
No, it's the amp. the light comes on, but the amp never powers up. Don't get the thump when it comes on and off. Something inside burned out, and it wasn't the fuse. Could have been a power surge, never know. But I keep seeing comments about these subs having amp issues.

The woofer was just being driven beyond it's limits in my attempt to create the low end that I wanted. That's what I think was happening. I've seen it before when driving smaller speakers beyond their travel limits. The motor and cone assembly flutter/chatter some how. Not sure what causes it.

Honestly, up until now the other DefTech stuff (besides the sub) have been great for our use. It's my second system with a ProCinema 600 setup before moving to the 800/1000 pieces. Still using the 800 monitors but do want to replace the front mains L/C/R with something larger.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, it's the amp. the light comes on, but the amp never powers up. Don't get the thump when it comes on and off. Something inside burned out, and it wasn't the fuse. Could have been a power surge, never know. But I keep seeing comments about these subs having amp issues.

The woofer was just being driven beyond it's limits in my attempt to create the low end that I wanted. That's what I think was happening. I've seen it before when driving smaller speakers beyond their travel limits. The motor and cone assembly flutter/chatter some how. Not sure what causes it.

Honestly, up until now the other DefTech stuff (besides the sub) have been great for our use. It's my second system with a ProCinema 600 setup before moving to the 800/1000 pieces. Still using the 800 monitors but do want to replace the front mains L/C/R with something larger.
I know a couple of friends with giant subs with multiple bad amps. You never know.

I think the subs you mentioned will all work great for your room.

But I can offer one different alternative than everyone else: go Separates and get passive subs and use your own external amps.

You might even find some inexpensive pre-owned passive subs (RBH, Velodyne, NHT) on Craigslist or eBay. And you can find inexpensive pro amps like Crown, Yamaha, QSC on Craigslist, eBay.

The idea isn't that passive subs sound better in any way. But they might last longer since even $3,000 powered subs could malfunction - and it's usually the AMP part, just like your sub amp.

I come from a thinking that "separates" is supposed to be better than "integrated" in terms of reliability (of course, not always true :D). Separate the amps from everything else - processors, speakers, and subs.

Anyway, just a different thought. Somebody's gotta make things more interesting around here. ;)

BTW, you could tell by my screen name that I used to own a DefTech system. I love their idea of putting more bass into the towers, but hate the fact that the AMPS are INSIDE the speakers.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
The next question becomes what front 3 speakers should I be looking at to upgrade? I'd prefer floor standing, but they would have to be less deep models to fit in the room pictured earlier in this thread. And they would need to be powered initially by my onkyo receiver for a while until I could get separates later. Fun, fun.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I know a couple of friends with giant SVS subs with multiple bad amps. You never know.

I think the subs you mentioned will all work great for your room.

But I can offer one different alternative than everyone else - get passive subs and use your own external amps.

You might even find some inexpensive pre-owned passive subs on Craigslist or eBay. And you can find inexpensive pro amps like Crown, Yamaha, QSC on Craigslist, eBay.

The idea isn't that passive subs sound better in any way. But they might last longer since even $3,000 powered subs could malfunction - and it's usually the AMP part, just like your sub amp.

I come from a thinking that "separates" is supposed to be better than "integrated" in terms of reliability (of course, not always true :D). Separate the amps from everything else - processors, speakers, and subs.

Anyway, just a different thought. Somebody's gotta make things more interesting around here. ;)

I'm certainly not opposed to separates. I already ordered the SVS PC-2000 to try, but as an alternative, a nicely designed passive sub would be interesting. I'm just not sure who all makes high quality passive subs that would be in same ball park as the ones I was looking at. In some ways it would make connection at the back of the room easier too in that I would be running speaker wire through attic and walls like I did for the speakers, instead of the wireless setup.

B

beyondm3

Audiophyte
If you like the Def Tech stuff, look into the bp9000s. I really enjoy my set.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I found the canton sl596.2 speakers on-sale with free center to look interesting but not sure I have the budget for them right now.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I found the canton sl596.2 speakers on-sale with free center to look interesting but not sure I have the budget for them right now.
The canton speakers go on sale every few months at A4L. Probably next sale at Labor Day and then November and then they clear inventory 2nd or 3rd week of December thru early Jan for the best sales. (Although some items in some finishes will run out by then)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The next question becomes what front 3 speakers should I be looking at to upgrade? I'd prefer floor standing, but they would have to be less deep models to fit in the room pictured earlier in this thread. And they would need to be powered initially by my onkyo receiver for a while until I could get separates later. Fun, fun.
What's the budget going to be?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Thanks. I bought a Denon receiver from them, can't remember model but was the top of line at that time. It died after about 2 years and wasn't under warranty any longer. think it was refurbished.

Also bought my marantz UD7007 dvd and its still going strong.

and bought the 12 ga in wall speaker wire that my surround and wall mounts are all wired with. still working well.

Budget wise, I'm not really sure. Want something that will fit in with the idea of the following upgrades over time:

Separates preamp and amp that has XLR's - like outlaw audio or marantz or something similar
Floor standing front main left and right
Maybe wall mounted, but possibly floor standing center depending on layout once I mount TV
For moment keep the deftech pro800 front upper speakers and rear surround. The two I'd take down in front would wind up as outdoor speakers under patio or maybe in garage.

So, the Canton 596 with free center would run around $2k. Let's say $2k or less for the 3 speakers that would fit with above upgrade path thoughts. Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I know a couple of friends with giant SVS subs with multiple bad amps. You never know.

But I can offer one different alternative than everyone else - get passive subs and use your own external amps.

malfunction

WTF the guy hasn't even gotten the Sub yet and you got Negative poop to Post. :(

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
So, the Canton 596 with free center would run around $2k. Let's say $2k or less for the 3 speakers that would fit with above upgrade path thoughts. Thanks
Read some of the recommendations I posted here. Look at the Polk Audio too on sale right now

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
WTF the guy hasn't even gotten the Sub yet and you got Negative poop to Post. :(
You're right, I edited the post to say "giant subs" and left out the brand.

Any Amp could fail regardless of brand.

There are pros and cons to both internally-powered and externally-powered subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm certainly not opposed to separates. I already ordered the SVS PC-2000 to try, but as an alternative, a nicely designed passive sub would be interesting. I'm just not sure who all makes high quality passive subs that would be in same ball park as the ones I was looking at. In some ways it would make connection at the back of the room easier too in that I would be running speaker wire through attic and walls like I did for the speakers, instead of the wireless setup.
I'm sure you know there are pros and cons to each type of subs.

I've always used externally-powered subs since I started this hobby. My first sub was a single 10" NHT sub with an 80W amp. That thing still rocks my brother's 18' x 20' x 12' ceiling living room open to kitchen, dining, and foyer space. The sub/amp is only 28 years old. None of my passive subs and amps have ever failed.

Other subs I've used included the Funk 18.0 subs.

Currently, my RBH SVT towers have the SV-1212N passive subs, my RBH SX-T2 towers have the SX-1010N passive subs. I also have one RBH SI-1010 passive sub and four Velodyne SC-600 IF/IC passive subs.

It seems passive/non-powered/externally-powered subs require more work, effort, time, and usually more money.

There's probably a good reason why most people don't ever own externally powered subs. :D

Sort of like how most people don't ever own Separates pre-pros + amps or stereo preamps + amps.

It's not a matter of sound quality. It's just a different philosophy.

By the way, all ten of my passive subs in my HT room are powered by a single ATI AT2005 amp.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Read some of the recommendations I posted here. Look at the Polk Audio too on sale right now

That's where I found out about the Canton's. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis