Speaker cable thought

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Everyone lives in one in some area of their life.

Since the hypothetical is settled in your mind, let's discuss the practical. Should I be concerned about running 4 channels of audio using 12 awg zip cord 30-40 feet where they are touching. If so, what can I do to maintain their close proximity while reducing any issues the proximity may introduce.

For context the sensitivity of two of the speakers are ~83 DB @4 ohms, the other two are ~90 DB @8 ohms, The amplifiers will produce in excess of 200 watts at 8 ohms and 400 watts at 4 ohms. I mention this because if there is going to be cross talk, it may be relevant.
"I mention this because if there is going to be cross talk" I'm really trying to understand here, I'm not a audio engineer, a AVR 5.1 Manufactured by Sony, cost about umm $299.00 or less, You won't with Your own ears hear Any cross talk. Why are you even concerned with the "Space" between your speaker cables? You could Twist, think like that Candy twizzlers it's a Licorice candy. ;) Anyways you could take All of your cable's running to and from your audio/video gear Twist them in one big roll and there would be No Interference whatsoever between all of the cables twisted in one big roll. Even the "Basic" cables be it speaker cables, Sub cables, HDMI cables, interconnect cables would do well. Now they may Not last as long do to the build quality. I have used many "Budget" friendly cables. Most hard core hobbyists won't run all their cables into a bunch or even leave their cables in a rats nest so to speak. I don't but at time's I've had to untill I've had time to clean up the back end of my audio rack only because I personally do not like a eye sore of cable's hanging or running amok along the back and side walls. You feel Validated by using very Expensive cables that cost more than a good pair of Entry level audiophile speakers its your money and your hobby. By the way I do have a nice Plot of swampland I can sell you for the low low price of 1 million dollars! ;)
B8C246D0-53CB-43C6-9068-6B80454A083C.jpg

Last edited:
V

viorelc

Audioholic Intern
For some odd reason, I still believe I’m reading on an Audio forum. And that’s about stuff that can be heard. The premise of this post (backed up by the comments in the initial post) is “there are imperceptible differences” so I’d take it as being outside of what I can hear. I’m glad that my house was not created at the subparticle level, I would not be able to afford it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Perhaps I should be a little more detailed;

Multiple smaller gauge insulated wires will work better than one larger gauge wire with the same effective cross section at higher frequencies due to skin effect.

While it is interesting you believe what I stated is incorrect, it does nothing to illuminate me or anyone else who thinks as I do by just saying I am wrong.
Do you mean, Cat5 is a good speaker cable?

Skin effect in audible frequencies isn't applicable- not only is it a negligible effect, our hearing acuity isn't good enough at extremely high audio frequencies.

The main reason many types of cable are made from groups of small wires is that they're more flexible. Single strand wire is prone to breaking after repeated bending.

Speaker cables aren't as prone to crosstalk and other interference because they come between the amplifier and the load- the signal has already been amplified, so it's unlikely that the level of the interference will increase further.

At some point, certain details don't matter.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Been getting a lot of Intruders from other forms Probing AH. Lots of trolls and spammers also. Not saying OP is anyone of the two.
You know, that is an interesting observation.
My current main system is reasonably well balanced with Emotiva amplifiers, Marantz sound processor, Magnepan speakers in the system. One area I am working on is acoustics, and I have posted on Ethan Winer's forum about that. I also have a tube/Klipsch Cornwall system, and two other "daily driver" systems for watching TV and the like.

For anyone who will listen I have always suggested this hobby has a hierarchical structure. You start with the things which can make the most difference first. The two most important items IMO are speakers and acoustics. Then comes amplification (electronics in general) and source.
I find it hard to believe that someone who has achieved the level of sophistication you have with your current gear, has never before explored the subject of speaker cables and power cords. Tho it makes a nice juicy topic for stirring up a bees nest on a science based audio forum...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Now if You would like to test the waters with our Leader Gene, May I introduce you to Gene DellaSala? Not being funny about the last sentence. But if You do, better bring your A-game.
and with that being said Gene prefers Kimber cable ..................

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They're damn good cables. Don't need any other reason besides that.
I agree, tho my point is, they're no better than any other. Gene has made it clear he likes the bling and pride in ownership. He holds no illusions about any sort of superior audio performance.

Just wanted to clarify that since the observation did not...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, if you want to convince me to spend multiple hundreds, or thousands of dollars on interconnects I'm gonna need a little more than "they're dam good cables"...

So are Monoprice's cables.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
You know, that is an interesting observation.

I find it hard to believe that someone who has achieved the level of sophistication you have with your current gear, has never before explored the subject of speaker cables and power cords. Tho it makes a nice juicy topic for stirring up a bees nest on a science based audio forum...
I looked into it 10-12+ years ago and was about to build some CAT 5 based speaker cables, but life got in the way. I am finally getting back around to it.

It seems as though there are now two armed camps throwing rocks at each other from behind high fortifications. One side says cryogenically treated, prime numbered strands of beryllium coated holistically aligned cables will provide audio Nirvana, the other side says anything other than raw copper wire & tin cans are snake oil.

I'm just a poor agnostic who wandered onto the field of a bloody sectarian conflict searching for the best method to build some cables.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I looked into it 10-12+ years ago and was about to build some CAT 5 based speaker cables, but life got in the way. I am finally getting back around to it.

It seems as though there are now two armed camps throwing rocks at each other from behind high fortifications. One side says cryogenically treated, prime numbered strands of beryllium coated holistically aligned cables will provide audio Nirvana, the other side says anything other than raw copper wire & tin cans are snake oil.

I'm just a poor agnostic who wandered onto the field of a bloody sectarian conflict searching for the best method to build some cables.
Who said anything about tin cans?

You should be able to find everything you need here.

Whether you make your own or buy them already assembled Monoprice should have you covered. If you want something a little more, then Bluejeans cables are pretty nice too, without being ridiculously overpriced.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Those in the front pew can't fan themselves quickly enough. Lots of hot air in here.;)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Also, if you want to convince me to spend multiple hundreds, or thousands of dollars on interconnects I'm gonna need a little more than "they're dam good cables"...

So are Monoprice's cables.
that's understandable. Gene has always said that Kimber cable has always tested amazing. Reached the numbers they report and he expects. So I mean there is that. For my next build I'll probably be using all Kimber. Right now I have a mixture of Mono, SVS and Audioquest.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
For some odd reason, I still believe I’m reading on an Audio forum. And that’s about stuff that can be heard. The premise of this post (backed up by the comments in the initial post) is “there are imperceptible differences” so I’d take it as being outside of what I can hear. I’m glad that my house was not created at the subparticle level, I would not be able to afford it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
One should always be an empiricist first, but when there are large groups of people who independently indicate they are able to observe a phenomenon, someone who is truly in search of answers and not trying to defend their position, will try to find the reason. Some people would then say "We know the answer! Their brains were bamboozled by BS from the creators of the snake oily cables." This in my opinion is a lazy answer and may not truly explain the phenomenon.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One should always be an empiricist first, but when there are large groups of people who independently indicate they are able to observe a phenomenon, someone who is truly in search of answers and not trying to defend their position, will try to find the reason. Some people would then say "We know the answer! Their brains were bamboozled by BS from the creators of the snake oily cables." This in my opinion is a lazy answer and may not truly explain the phenomenon.
The burden of proof lies with the claim, and the claim is "our cables are magic". I do not believe that assertion and ask for evidence. To my knowledge there has been exactly zero evidence provided to back the claim so...

Don't you think the reasonable position is to withhold belief of a claim until evidence has been presented? You seem fond of quotes, so I'll share with you one of my favorites from David Hume. "A wise man proportions his beliefs to the evidence.".

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The widow Devereaux just went down in the second row after screaming, "Oh my, the vapors!":eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis