Speaker cable thought

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Based on the price, I think someone beat Trell to the market;

What a crook! And sadly people apparently falls for it and gives our hobby a bad reputation.

My recent new cables are interconnects to my Genelec monitors and subwoofer, like the following, and they work great and appears to be of good quality.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, so I did stumble across these guys a while back, and while they do make some nebulous claims, apparently NASA likes their cables for some applications and actually bought from these guys...

Hey Mark,

Searching the speaker wire industry for an appropriate transmission line has been difficult with the rarely posted figures.

I appreciate the fast response and shipping. They arrived on Friday, but only yesterday did I get to test the wire types. I unbraided the very ends and attached a stub of flat copper so that I could bolt them on our posts.

Our operating condition was 250us to 1ms 120A current pulses at 80V into our laser diodes. That puts our load impedance below an ohm. I’ve attached a photo of the silver oval prepared. The wires performed very well and are a viable substitute for the stiff flat we currently use. The output of Big Silver Oval looked the best and is most similar to our flat wire. Silver Oval 2 showed a little bit of oscillation at the beginning of each pulse but was well within a stable range. These are the only two speaker cables we have tested that meet our requirements. I like that its nearly as small as our flat also (which is 10mm x 2mm).

No the application is not confidential. The laser’s a high energy, narrow line-width 2um pulse. It can be used for wind profiling, CO2 measurements, and other things. If you need something official though, I’d probably need to talk with others.

I can provide some (attached) but you’ll see in our final assembly that you can’t see the cable itself. We had to wrap it in a neoprene insulator for protection and requirements. We have three sets of these for our system (3 laser pump sources). The cable does work very well for our application. The clamp image is how we translate the oval cable to a high current connector. Our length is about 10 feet.

Will order 100 ft of Big Silver Oval to ship to NASA, LaRC, Building 1202, Room 223, Mail Stop 488, 5 North Dryden Street, Hampton, Virgina 23681.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Paul J. Petzar
National Institute of Aerospace

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I watched one of them last night (the first one I think).
I would also recommend that video series. The live streams are rather long, but there is a lot of useful information in there and Anthony really knows his stuff.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
I would also recommend that video series. The live streams are rather long, but there is a lot of useful information in there and Anthony really knows his stuff.
I watched another one last night.

Since I do not have a dedicated room, I need to be discrete with the treatments.

What I need to do is to define what is the worst offender and treat it first. More of a piecemeal approach rather than a grand plan. Both of the videos I have watched are more holistic. I need to find the ones in the middle with specific solutions for specific problems.

My case is different because I have dipole speakers and "sub woofers."

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
An entertaining thread, I'd say! Your "dipole speakers" (not your mains, I hope, but who knows what a cable hugger does?) will not go as low as your "sub woofers" nor integrate, so what's your point?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Since I do not have a dedicated room, I need to be discrete with the treatments.

What I need to do is to define what is the worst offender and treat it first. More of a piecemeal approach rather than a grand plan. Both of the videos I have watched are more holistic. I need to find the ones in the middle with specific solutions for specific problems.

Do you have a method to take acoustic measurements of your room? A Umik mic and learning to use REW is an invaluable tool for diagnosing issues.

I personally wouldn't even attempt any room treatments without some measurements. I'm pretty sure any acoustician or company would want some measurement files before determining solutions.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 3 of them. A pair of HSU VTF -3 MK5s and a single RBH SV-1212NR for nearfield. What do you have?

A

aceinc

Audioholic
An entertaining thread, I'd say! Your "dipole speakers" (not your mains, I hope, but who knows what a cable hugger does?) will not go as low as your "sub woofers" nor integrate, so what's your point?
Cable hugger, interesting turn of phrase. Yes I have Magnepan 2.7 QRs with stereo dual 12" OB woofer cabinets as my front speakers. I have MMGs as my rears.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, revisiting this thread from page one I clicked on the article I linked in my first post and re-read it.

There was always something... specific in Paul's rebuttal that bothered me and I couldn't really put my finger on it, but I think this is it.

As to your kind offer of public debate, I think I’ll have to pass but thank you for the opportunity. It’d be akin to a debate between political right and left wingers: both so entrenched in what they know to be true that nothing of value would result. Life’s too short for that.

That's not true. I believe there would be value to it. Can you imagine all the forum posts and discussion it would spawn? I don't think Paul understands the purpose of debate. There's an audience. You may or may not change your opponent's mind. In fact I'd argue almost definitely not, but there are a lot of other people paying attention. Debates like this can be very informative and can expose flaws in nebulous claims like these. It's not as much about he and gene as it is layfolk who would really like to know. Show your work, explain your position.

He seemed overly dismissive and I think not entirely honest about the reason he gave for refusing the offer. I think he's skeered.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Cable hugger, interesting turn of phrase. Yes I have Magnepan 2.7 QRs with stereo dual 12" OB woofer cabinets as my front speakers. I have MMGs as my rears.
long time Maggie lover here, those 2.7 are some old girls, still going strong I presume ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Man, revisiting this thread from page one I clicked on the article I linked in my first post and re-read it.

There was always something... specific in Paul's rebuttal that bothered me and I couldn't really put my finger on it, but I think this is it.

As to your kind offer of public debate, I think I’ll have to pass but thank you for the opportunity. It’d be akin to a debate between political right and left wingers: both so entrenched in what they know to be true that nothing of value would result. Life’s too short for that.

That's not true. I believe there would be value to it. Can you imagine all the forum posts and discussion it would spawn? I don't think Paul understands the purpose of debate. There's an audience. You may or may not change your opponent's mind. In fact I'd argue almost definitely not, but there are a lot of other people paying attention. Debates like this can be very informative and can expose flaws in nebulous claims like these. It's not as much about he and gene as it is layfolk who would really like to know. Show your work, explain your position.

He seemed overly dismissive and I think not entirely honest about the reason he gave for refusing the offer. I think he's skeered.
Half of the BS Audio Business... especially in cahoots with FraudioQuest... is all about riding that Phool Train to Audio Nirvana.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

And there in lies the problem. Just what is the specific problem and what is causing it? For most people that have a rectangular enclosed room, it's difficult to tell without measuring equipment. It's a challenge to rely solely on your hearing.

From what I've read, the Magnapans will vary quite a bit depending upon placement, so that is likely the best place to start. I have a friend with 3.6 Maggies and he spent hours trying different distances from the back wall and different angles till he was satisfied. He even placed a potted fig tree behind to act as a diffuser as he was getting too strong a reflection off the back walls. Electrostatics can be a challenge, but when setup correctly can sound very good. His setup was one of the best I have ever heard, but he spent many months trying different DACs, pre-amps, treatments and positioning until he was satisfied.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
And there in lies the problem. Just what is the specific problem and what is causing it? For most people that have a rectangular enclosed room, it's difficult to tell without measuring equipment. It's a challenge to rely solely on your hearing.

From what I've read, the Magnapans will vary quite a bit depending upon placement, so that is likely the best place to start. I have a friend with 3.6 Maggies and he spent hours trying different distances from the back wall and different angles till he was satisfied. He even placed a potted fig tree behind to act as a diffuser as he was getting too strong a reflection off the back walls. Electrostatics can be a challenge, but when setup correctly can sound very good. His setup was one of the best I have ever heard, but he spent many months trying different DACs, pre-amps, treatments and positioning until he was satisfied.
I have REW measurements, room diagrams and photos on my laptop. I will start a new thread tonight or tomorrow about this in an appropriate forum. Before starting the thread, I wanted to read the stuff I was asked to read in the forum and watch a few more videos.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually they are new to me, about 20 years old and look & sound great.
Maggies sound really nice and hold up well if taken care of, but like Eppie's saying they're pretty temperamental about placement. I've read they like some distance from room boundaries. You could try pulling them out more into the room and see if it improves anything. Set up and playing well with the room those really are some special speakers.

A

aceinc

Audioholic

I started a new and hopefully less controversial thread over Here.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis