Paradigm vs SVS for speakers?

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys, thanks for your help here so far in my HT remodel.

So recently I was totally convinced I was going to go with Paradigm Premier 700f's for L-R and the beefy 600c for Centre. In Canada that would run me $3250 and my local guy says he'll eat the taxes (13% here).

BUT, I have been reading reviews that say the SVS Prime Pinnacles are right up there too. Looks like the list price is comparable...if not a little cheaper. And since I ordered an SVS PB2000 sub from EFLC I can get a repeat customer discount (not sure how much that is) and they have excellent customer service, shipping, and a 45 day trial period where all I'd have to pay is shipping back if I didn't like them. $75 bucks they say. Most reviews say when you TRY them, you're not sending them back. I'd be happy with that.

So, I'd like some opinions on that battle if you wouldn't mind? Also, recommendations for center channel with the SVS?

I'm in a MED-LRG room, 17ft by 27ft, 8ft ceilings just over 3000 cubic feet (the PB2000 seems to be working just fine but I may add one more in the future). The HT is using a square of that room that's more like 17ft x 17ft. Currently using an Onkyo TX-SR705 but likely going to a Denon 3600h when Black Friday comes around. Epson 3800 projector. Running source material from computer with HDMI. 120 inch homemade screen.

K

KeithP

Audiophyte
I can't give you advice on the Pinnacles, but I have been running dual PB2000's for a year and it has made a difference (I ran a single for about a year). Placement is key! I have mine one in front to the left of the screen and one in back, slightly behind and to the right (opposite side) of the listening position.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Both choices are excellent between the Paradigm and the SVS. Thats a hard one to call between the two.

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
I hear nothing but good things about SVS and you know you can't go wrong with Paradigm for the $. You'd have to listen them both to make a final decision I suspect.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Will your local dealer let you return the Paradigm after a few days (BestBuy has a 14 day return policy)?
If so, I would float both on my credit card and live with them setup in my room for a while.
If the worst case is $75 for return shipping to SVS, that is money well spent as you will be certain you got "the right stuff"!
I doubt the local outfit will give you 45 days, so I would set up the SVS first and let your ears/mind get familiar with them before bringing in the Paradigms. That may give an unfair advantage to the SVS*, but I still think you would make a better informed decision on the assumption that your previous reference for sound quality was a solid step below these two speakers.

* If acclimating to the SVS biases you towards them and that is the only reason you prefer them, then I would say it was close enough that it really doesn't matter which you choose!

Last edited:
LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Will your local dealer let you return the Paradigm after a few days (BestBuy has a 14 day return policy)?
If so, I would float both on my credit card and live with them setup in my room for a while.
If the worst case is $75 for return shipping to SVS, that is money well spent as you will be certain you got "the right stuff"!
I doubt the local outfit will give you 45 days, so I would set up the SVS first and let your ears/mind get familiar with them before bringing in the Paradigms. That may give an unfair advantage to the SVS*, but I still think you would make a better informed decision on the assumption that your previous reference for sound quality was a solid step below these two speakers.

* If acclimating to the SVS biases you towards them and that is the only reason you prefer them, then I would say it was close enough that it really doesn't matter which you choose!
Valid points and will see what I can do. I've heard the Paradigms but in their showroom with their equipment and room...they were good for sure, but didn't necessarily blow me away. That being said, I would have chosen different material to give em a test-drive. They just ran a movie that was on loop in the store.

Reclaimist

Reclaimist

Enthusiast
Got any updates? I'm in the same battle as you: Paradigm 800F & 600C vs. SVS Prime Pinnacles (centre TBD), or maybe go for the Ultras. I even picked up a 3700, but only because I couldn't find a nicer-priced 3600.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Got any updates? I'm in the same battle as you: Paradigm 800F & 600C vs. SVS Prime Pinnacles (centre TBD), or maybe go for the Ultras. I even picked up a 3700, but only because I couldn't find a nicer-priced 3600.
I own the 800F and the next step up in a center the 45C from Paradigm. I love what I have.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
I ended up going a bit different due to circumstances that came up. I DID go with the 600C center channel, which is an absolute BEAST of a unit, and I would highly recommend it to anyone...just ONE warning: it is HUGE (phrasing). It is, quite literally, the size of a floorstanding speaker on its side. I am fortunate that my HT room is MINE so my wife says 'get what you want'...but if there's any Wife Acceptance Factor needed, you will want to run that by her/him
As for the mains, I got lucky and found a used pair of Goldenear Triton 3's a short drive away that I got for $1000 Cdn (about $750 US) and man am I happy with them. I always wanted Goldenears and now that I have them up and running I can say, in MY opinion, I agree with the reviewers that say these things sound like $25,000 speakers that you can get for $4000 (Or in my case, $1000). SO, unfortunately I can't help on the SVS vs Paradigm argument....but I can tell you I was leaning more towards the Paradigms in that scenario. Just the best CC where SVS doesn't really have a knockout CC.
If it helps, should you decide to go the SVS route I personally don't think the ULTRA's are a huge upgrade, they're pretty equal, from what I've read. They may have fuller bass BUT they're very finicky when it comes to placement, and you have to have just the right room for them because of the included subs. If your room isn't open enough, then you're stuck with muddy bass because you can't place the sub where you want. I think you're just better off getting Towers with a good SVS PB2000 or PB3000 if you can.
Hope that helps.

Reclaimist

Reclaimist

Enthusiast
What a steal. Congrats on that!
W.A.F., hahaha

I agree with you about the Ultras and don't think they'll be the right pick.

I'm also leaning toward the Paradigms. The CC is an influencing factor, and for around the same price as SVS, reviews tend to favour the Paradigms. Not really much of a chance to listen side-by-side unfortunately. It's a bit of a spicy meatball, but maybe I can work out a deal with the salespeople by going with a set.

For subs, I'm waiting on a ship quote from HSU to Canada to compare the VTF-15H MK2 to the PB-2000. If they're around the same price, which would you favour?

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
What a steal. Congrats on that!
W.A.F., hahaha

I agree with you about the Ultras and don't think they'll be the right pick.

I'm also leaning toward the Paradigms. The CC is an influencing factor, and for around the same price as SVS, reviews tend to favour the Paradigms. Not really much of a chance to listen side-by-side unfortunately. It's a bit of a spicy meatball, but maybe I can work out a deal with the salespeople by going with a set.

For subs, I'm waiting on a ship quote from HSU to Canada to compare the VTF-15H MK2 to the PB-2000. If they're around the same price, which would you favour?
I agree on the PB2000 pro. I LOVE mine. I flirted with the idea of the HSU, and the price was okay overall to get it to me in Canada, but the worry of having to deal with cross-border-warranty issues was the deal-clincher for me to go SVS. It would be a couple hundred bucks US just to ship it back and forth. Even the guys at HSU kind of told me the SVS made more sense.

On another note, I think you JUST MISSED the Paradigm sale. They were on sale for a couple of weeks at 20% off I think...for the Premier Series anyway. If you can wait, they apparently go on sale about 2 times a year.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I ended up going a bit different due to circumstances that came up. I DID go with the 600C center channel, which is an absolute BEAST of a unit, and I would highly recommend it to anyone...just ONE warning: it is HUGE (phrasing). It is, quite literally, the size of a floorstanding speaker on its side. I am fortunate that my HT room is MINE so my wife says 'get what you want'...but if there's any Wife Acceptance Factor needed, you will want to run that by her/him
As for the mains, I got lucky and found a used pair of Goldenear Triton 3's a short drive away that I got for $1000 Cdn (about $750 US) and man am I happy with them. I always wanted Goldenears and now that I have them up and running I can say, in MY opinion, I agree with the reviewers that say these things sound like $25,000 speakers that you can get for $4000 (Or in my case, $1000). SO, unfortunately I can't help on the SVS vs Paradigm argument....but I can tell you I was leaning more towards the Paradigms in that scenario. Just the best CC where SVS doesn't really have a knockout CC.
If it helps, should you decide to go the SVS route I personally don't think the ULTRA's are a huge upgrade, they're pretty equal, from what I've read. They may have fuller bass BUT they're very finicky when it comes to placement, and you have to have just the right room for them because of the included subs. If your room isn't open enough, then you're stuck with muddy bass because you can't place the sub where you want. I think you're just better off getting Towers with a good SVS PB2000 or PB3000 if you can.
Hope that helps.
Were those the T3s or the T3+ Goldenears? One is a incredible price, the other is an insane price. Not sure if I would have matched that with a Paradigm Center. Dome vs HVFR tweeter.

I have owned both Paradigms and GE. I really liked my GE speakers, but their center was just above average (SuperCenter XXL).

I used to own the Paradigm Studio CC690 Center and a pair of 100s v5. I recently upgraded to Paradigm again with the Persona 3F and my Persona C should be here tomorrow. I really like the extra large center and it performed well, especially with dialogue.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Were those the T3s or the T3+ Goldenears? One is a incredible price, the other is an insane price. Not sure if I would have matched that with a Paradigm Center. Dome vs HVFR tweeter.

I have owned both Paradigms and GE. I really liked my GE speakers, but their center was just above average (SuperCenter XXL).

I used to own the Paradigm Studio CC690 Center and a pair of 100s v5. I recently upgraded to Paradigm again with the Persona 3F and my Persona C should be here tomorrow. I really like the extra large center and it performed well, especially with dialogue.
Original T3's, I was very happy with that. Agree that would have been insane for T3+.
Actually, I find they match up pretty well. I don't notice any speaker sound change when a sound sweeps left to right in a movie...it all disappears into the scene...job well done.

But for MUSIC...well holy $H!T.

PERSONA's, damn...that's a whole 'nother level...let us know how you like em.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis