SVS Ultra Towers vs. SVS Prime Pinnacles... with a sub

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Just for those that were curious. I just got everything hooked up in a preliminary mess to test to make sure everything was functioning... no furniture, wall baffles, or carpets up yet. But my god... what have I done.

just for reference... that's an 82" screen.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just for those that were curious. I just got everything hooked up in a preliminary mess to test to make sure everything was functioning... no furniture, wall baffles, or carpets up yet. But my god... what have I done.

Sweet! After setup I assume she's still smiling? :) Congrats!

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic

Holy Cow - its ALL speakers

Maybe you could have done better getting the SB 4000's?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had Ultra towers and loved them, but they didn't play well with my room and I ended up using a higher crossover than I wanted to. They sure do make a statement in a room too. I miss seeing them.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I had Ultra towers and loved them, but they didn't play well with my room and I ended up using a higher crossover than I wanted to. They sure do make a statement in a room too. I miss seeing them.
People say they are very hard to set up and get placement right. Is that true? I would like to hear the Prime Pinnacle speakers, I bet they are outstanding.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
People say they are very hard to set up and get placement right. Is that true? I would like to hear the Prime Pinnacle speakers, I bet they are outstanding.

Part of it is my room. I have a null that's hard to deal with to begin with. It was harder dialing the Ultras in than my current speakers, but the same null is still there with them too. The Ultras were quite a bit bigger so that's partly what made them a little less flexible than my Sierras. Both are great sounding speakers tho. I was super happy with the Ultras and would probably still have them if I hadn't stumbled across a steal of a deal on some RAAL ribbon speakers.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Part of it is my room. I have a null that's hard to deal with to begin with. It was harder dialing the Ultras in than my current speakers, but the same null is still there with them too. The Ultras were quite a bit bigger so that's partly what made them a little less flexible than my Sierras. Both are great sounding speakers tho. I was super happy with the Ultras and would probably still have them if I hadn't stumbled across a steal of a deal on some RAAL ribbon speakers.
Send, Sierras are amazing and those Ribbon tweeters are supposed to be silky smooth and detailed.

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic

I have a fairly open room where the mains have plenty of room to breath on all sides. I had 0 issues setting them up. I just run them raw from my AVR, no correction, no EQ, nothing. I run a standard 80z large/small xover on the AVR, I have them about 11 or 12 feet apart (i forget, now), with a slight toe-in, and they sound fantastic.... amazing.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Are you happy with your decision?
I am in the same boat - I own the Pinnacles but wondering if I should make the effort to try the Ultra Towers since I have the Ultra Center, Ultra Surrounds and PB4000 coming - here's my room:

Attachments

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So I got the One Ultra Tower to try- this thing is big - compared to the Pinnacle - I have them side by side.

The WAF is not good - oh well

I am trying to compare them side by side and the edge might be slightly in favor of the Ultra but they are really big and I think I need to get use to them - seem to come close to the viewing sight unless I push them away from the center.

I do love how they match the look of-the Ultra Center speaker

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Ultra towers
So I got the One Ultra Tower to try- this thing is big - compared to the Pinnacle - I have them side by side.

The WAF is not good - oh well

I am trying to compare them side by side and the edge might be slightly in favor of the Ultra but they are really big and I think I need to get use to them - seem to come close to the viewing sight unless I push them away from the center.

I do love how they match the look of-the Ultra Center speaker
WAF... lol. You gotta win 'em over! My wife wasn't happy with the Sierras I got to replace my Ultras because she didn't like the fact that they were smaller and didn't think they'd sound as good. Playing a couple of songs from her cds remedied that tho. Is your wife a music lover? Mine is, but she was never very excited about audio gear in general until I started ripping all of her cds and showed her how to work everything. She doesn't even watch TV anymore! She'd be downright pissed if I were to sell everything off and downsize now. She even gets it when I tweak stuff now.

As for your li'l speaker shootout, I would pick the pair that have the best frequency response below 3-400 hz or so. Otherwise I'll bet they're more alike than different. Looking at your pic makes me feel a little pang tho. I always loved the way the Ultras look. Big, bad and beautiful. I kinda miss seeing them. You have your speakers awfully close to the wall behind them. The Ultras' slanted backside will give their ports a little more breathing room and might be more linear. You should really get a mic, if you don't already have one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis