Paradigm vs SVS for speakers?

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, thanks for your help here so far in my HT remodel.

So recently I was totally convinced I was going to go with Paradigm Premier 700f's for L-R and the beefy 600c for Centre. In Canada that would run me $3250 and my local guy says he'll eat the taxes (13% here).

BUT, I have been reading reviews that say the SVS Prime Pinnacles are right up there too. Looks like the list price is comparable...if not a little cheaper. And since I ordered an SVS PB2000 sub from EFLC I can get a repeat customer discount (not sure how much that is) and they have excellent customer service, shipping, and a 45 day trial period where all I'd have to pay is shipping back if I didn't like them. $75 bucks they say. Most reviews say when you TRY them, you're not sending them back. I'd be happy with that.

So, I'd like some opinions on that battle if you wouldn't mind? Also, recommendations for center channel with the SVS?

I'm in a MED-LRG room, 17ft by 27ft, 8ft ceilings just over 3000 cubic feet (the PB2000 seems to be working just fine but I may add one more in the future). The HT is using a square of that room that's more like 17ft x 17ft. Currently using an Onkyo TX-SR705 but likely going to a Denon 3600h when Black Friday comes around. Epson 3800 projector. Running source material from computer with HDMI. 120 inch homemade screen.

K

KeithP

Audiophyte
I can't give you advice on the Pinnacles, but I have been running dual PB2000's for a year and it has made a difference (I ran a single for about a year). Placement is key! I have mine one in front to the left of the screen and one in back, slightly behind and to the right (opposite side) of the listening position.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Both choices are excellent between the Paradigm and the SVS. Thats a hard one to call between the two.

Will Brink

Will Brink

Enthusiast
I hear nothing but good things about SVS and you know you can't go wrong with Paradigm for the $. You'd have to listen them both to make a final decision I suspect.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Will your local dealer let you return the Paradigm after a few days (BestBuy has a 14 day return policy)?
If so, I would float both on my credit card and live with them setup in my room for a while.
If the worst case is $75 for return shipping to SVS, that is money well spent as you will be certain you got "the right stuff"!
I doubt the local outfit will give you 45 days, so I would set up the SVS first and let your ears/mind get familiar with them before bringing in the Paradigms. That may give an unfair advantage to the SVS*, but I still think you would make a better informed decision on the assumption that your previous reference for sound quality was a solid step below these two speakers.

* If acclimating to the SVS biases you towards them and that is the only reason you prefer them, then I would say it was close enough that it really doesn't matter which you choose!

Last edited:
LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Audioholic Intern
Will your local dealer let you return the Paradigm after a few days (BestBuy has a 14 day return policy)?
If so, I would float both on my credit card and live with them setup in my room for a while.
If the worst case is $75 for return shipping to SVS, that is money well spent as you will be certain you got "the right stuff"!
I doubt the local outfit will give you 45 days, so I would set up the SVS first and let your ears/mind get familiar with them before bringing in the Paradigms. That may give an unfair advantage to the SVS*, but I still think you would make a better informed decision on the assumption that your previous reference for sound quality was a solid step below these two speakers.

* If acclimating to the SVS biases you towards them and that is the only reason you prefer them, then I would say it was close enough that it really doesn't matter which you choose!
Valid points and will see what I can do. I've heard the Paradigms but in their showroom with their equipment and room...they were good for sure, but didn't necessarily blow me away. That being said, I would have chosen different material to give em a test-drive. They just ran a movie that was on loop in the store.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis