B

bssklef

Audiophyte
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a couple months now reading all the reviews and trying to decide on the best setup for my current space. The room is carpeted and measures around 15'x13'. I'll be listening to a lot of music like EDM, Metal, Rock, and Pop in that order, but want something that will work with a 5.1 setup for movies as well. Whichever speakers I decide on will be paired with a good sub from Rhythmic, SVS, RSL, or HSU.

The Polk R700 towers seem like a fantastic choice for a 2.1 stereo setup, but for a HT setup, I'm apprehensive about the R400 MTM center. It's mostly just me watching movies and TV shows, so maybe I don't have to worry too much about the off-axis issues that are prevalent with that design. I also thought about getting the L600 towers or even the L200 bookshelf speakers so I can pair them up with that L400 3-way center. I can get them refurbished for around the same price as the R700 or R200 new, but there aren't a lot of reviews covering the Legend series and I understand the R series has an updated port design that superior anyway.

The other option is opting for the Paradigm 800F towers with the 500C, a 3-way center channel. The 800F towers don't rate quite as highly as the R700 towers and I'm also not sure if they will sound too bright for stereo music listening. I'd prefer a speaker that isn't too bright and fatiguing or speakers that are too revealing causing some recordings to sound poor as I'm sure some metal and rock albums would fall into that category.

I appreciate any guidance and suggestions to make this decision easier.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I auditioned the Polks and they are excellent. Neutral sound with excellent deep bass. Not fatiguing at all listening for hours. Would recommend. You can order directly from Polk and they have a free return policy in the US. They go on sale from time to time and they offer a 10% 1st time buyer discount too. Ask about it if it doesn’t pop up on their web site. I didn’t audition the Paradigms but they are well reviewed. Less bass from the reviews I’ve read.

B

bssklef

Audiophyte
I auditioned the Polks and they are excellent. Neutral sound with excellent deep bass. Not fatiguing at all listening for hours. Would recommend. You can order directly from Polk and they have a free return policy in the US. They go on sale from time to time and they offer a 10% 1st time buyer discount too. Ask about it if it doesn’t pop up on their web site. I didn’t audition the Paradigms but they are well reviewed. Less bass from the reviews I’ve read.
How do you feel about the off axis performance of the R400? That's really my only apprehension going the R700 route.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it's just you listening to the system, you can skip the center. The center is made mostly for the sake of off-axis listeners. Just use stereo imaging as a center channel. That being said, if you really feel the need a physical center speaker, the R400 is probably fine for a sole listener.

B

bssklef

Audiophyte
If it's just you listening to the system, you can skip the center. The center is made mostly for the sake of off-axis listeners. Just use stereo imaging as a center channel. That being said, if you really feel the need a physical center speaker, the R400 is probably fine for a sole listener.
It's going to be me most of the time, but I also want this to be a system that can be migrated after a potential move to a bigger house and growing family that will require more seats. To be honest, I'm actually surprised at the suggestion to skip the center. Perusing most HT subs / forums you'll see pretty unanimous advice that the center and the sub are the most important parts to a HT setup.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's going to be me most of the time, but I also want this to be a system that can be migrated after a potential move to a bigger house and growing family that will require more seats. To be honest, I'm actually surprised at the suggestion to skip the center. Perusing most HT subs / forums you'll see pretty unanimous advice that the center and the sub are the most important parts to a HT setup.
The front left/right speakers are the most important. The center speaker is totally subordinate to the front left/right. You can have a good system without a center and subwoofer if the front left/right are good, but you can't have any kind of system without left/right front speakers, no matter how good the center and subwoofer are, unless you really enjoy monaural sound.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
The center was fine and like you it’s mostly me listening positioned in a center chair sweet spot for most of my listening. The downward firing X-port in the 700R really works well. Had each in a corner about 15 inches off the front and side walls and had plenty of bass without any muddy or overwhelming booming Sound. They are hard to beat for the price.

B

bssklef

Audiophyte
The front left/right speakers are the most important. The center speaker is totally subordinate to the front left/right. You can have a good system without a center and subwoofer if the front left/right are good, but you can't have any kind of system without left/right front speakers, no matter how good the center and subwoofer are, unless you really enjoy monaural sound.
Interesting. I grew up in a stereo house myself and was always taught to get a good left/right speaker that have a woofer/tweeter/midrange in the cabinet. The center, sub, and surrounds always seemed like an added bonus to me, but not necessarily required. I think my decision is going to be to simply wait on the center and sub for now and focus on choosing the right AVR for the R700s with the goal of adding more speakers to it down the line if needed.

R

ryaneagon

Audiophyte
I am a happy owner of a pair of R700's. I decided to pair a L400 with them. I demoed the R400, and L400 back to back, the L400 just had more of everything, richness, and fullness the R400 didn't have, also the R400 only sounded good sitting directly center, and the L400 has a much off-axis performance. The R700's are a fantastic speaker! Very natural, but fun! gobbles of bass, very musical. I have them with an Anthem AVM70 and an 8 Channel Monolith M8125x 8x100 Watts Per Channel Class-D Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier. With music, i tend to run the speakers full range, no subwoofers, no room correction, man! they are a fun listen! It is also wonderful for movies and concerts. Cheers!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis