Paradigm 100v4 with receiver, or amp and receiver?

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Also for your room/size I think 5ch could well be the better setup.

As to B&W 6 series I really wasn't impressed, and wouldn't want one of their subs.....but if starting with nothing that could be a nice setup for $1100.
Why didn't you like their sub?

My thinking is the surrounds will cost me another $300. A top quality receiver is $1,000-$1,500, and a matching center channel is $300. This whole B&W system according to the seller was over $3,500 and it will cost me $1,100. But I did read that this is B&W's entry level while the Paradigm studio speakers that I have are not entry level so I would hope they sound better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

My thinking is the surrounds will cost me another $300. A top quality receiver is $1,000-$1,500, and a matching center channel is $300. This whole B&W system according to the seller was over $3,500 and it will cost me $1,100. But I did read that this is B&W's entry level while the Paradigm studio speakers that I have are not entry level so I would hope they sound better.
No doubt that is a great package deal and you could well like it, can you demo it? Of course in your own room it could well be somewha different, too, so keep that in mind. B&W just doesn't do the sub thing all that well IMO, just better ways to go. It's probably quite decent up to a point, tho. The pre-pro is quite outdated, and would be of limited use IMO, so you'd probably still need to factor in a decent avr that could act as one.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
There is a person local to me selling a whole home theater system. Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series speaker set w/ 12" B&W ASW1000 subwoofer, CC6 S2 (center channel) DM601 S2 (pair) DM602 S2 (pair) ASW1000 (12" powered subwoofer) and a Rotel RTC-965 pre-amp / surround processor and Rotel RB-976 6-channel amplifier.

For $1,100

VS my Paradigm studio 100v4 where I still need to buy surround speakers and a more powerful receiver. I'll probably end up paying more than $1,100 on speakers and a new receiver.
Those Paradigm Studio's are excellent speakers. The B&W 600's don't come close. Your Lucky to have them.

The Sub you could use to tee up Golf Balls from an Elevated Platform. That's all its good for

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Well you guys answered any other questions I may have comparing the two. I’ll stick with my Paradigms and build into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

A top quality receiver is $1,000-$1,500
Welcome to the Jungle!!!

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Welcome to the Jungle!!!

I’ve never heard of outlaw but that’s some good power and specs for under $1k

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
They are On Sale Right now 2 - $699
I don’t know the first thing about receivers. Is there a brand that is considered the absolute best? I was told anthem pairs up well with pradigm.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t know the first thing about receivers. Is there a brand that is considered the absolute best? I was told anthem pairs up well with pradigm.

Well, they're both Canadian....not much beyond that for reason IMO. I think the best receiver is the one with the best features/connectivity/amp section for your purposes.

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Well, they're both Canadian....not much beyond that for reason IMO. I think the best receiver is the one with the best features/connectivity/amp section for your purposes.
Fair enough. I just wasn’t sure if there was a brand that was known to make the speakers sound the best.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I was told anthem pairs up well with pradigm
Owned by same company I think in Ontario. Anthem is nice stuff.
But Im not a Believer in Audio gear and Speakers pairing together.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fair enough. I just wasn’t sure if there was a brand that was known to make the speakers sound the best.

The "sound" hopefully is only a result of deliberate tweaks via eq and dsp program etc. They should be neutral otherwise.

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
O No don't start that Conversation o_O
Haha sorry! So if you had my setup you would buy one of the receivers you had links to? Or were those just ideas for under $1k.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But Im not a Believer in Audio gear and Speakers pairing together.
Good, because it's not a real thing but just a term borrowed from the wine industry by reviewers :) Unless you're talking strange speaker and maybe tube amp combos....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haha sorry! So if you had my setup you would buy one of the receivers you had links to? Or were those just ideas for under $1k.

Not looking back but the mainstream offerings from Denon/Marantz and Yamaha would be my main considerations for both performance and value.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
And those Amps are a really Good deal. Quality and Performance. You run your main L/R with them and the rest with the Receiver.

You don't need those Amps a receiver with 120-150 watts will drive them without issue.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Its also Cool when your Friends are over and they are looking at your Rig and you lean over in your best James Dean voice and say. "Those are Monoblocks" :)

649573310_thumb_30b6e38dd274327fca9b9f52ebfd6f0e.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Its also Cool when your Friends are over and they are looking at your Rig and you lean over in your best James Dean voice and say. "Those are Monoblocks" :)
I'd juat lecture them on the impracticality of the use of monoblocks generally :) Then again I'd never bother with monoblocks unless there was a really good deal involved for the extra boxes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis