Outlaw B-Stock Sale

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Great pricing on the LCRv2 and X13 as well. The LCRv2 is made by the master of the MTM design, Joe D'appolito. This speaker deserves more attention! A trio of these would make for an awesome front stage!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You own the X-13s, correct? If so how are you like them? Any regrets? Thoughts on the fact that it's down-firing?
What up, CB?!!!
Dude, I love them. Zero regrets, and nothing but warm, fuzzy, house-shaking good times!
I always liked a down-firing sub. Perhaps because thats the way I remember subs being when I was younger. *shrugs That said, I do have some special treatments that I engaged in, but mostly because my room is a flimsy vibrational mess!

If you have carpet that's not too deep, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I took some dead (acoustically) concrete pads, mounted them on outriggers, and have my subs on those. I did also swap out the stock feet for the SVS Soundpath feet.

Short story long: I have a medium-pile carpet. I had seen some references to putting down firing subs on a platform just so something like mine wasn't the first surface the air would hit. I got the idea for either granite or a wood cutting board from the web. I happened into a local stonework shop that had scrap concrete they do structures with, and when I knocked on it, it was pretty inert. So they gave me a killer price, cut it up, and drilled holes for me. You can go to Webstaurant and get 18x24 wood cutting boards for around $40 bucks a pop, too. So the outriggers, or spike feet couple the platform to the floor, but minimize surface area contact, thus in theory minimizing sympathetic vibrations from getting to my spongy floor. The spongy feet de-couple the speaker from that platform. My experience with the stock feet just on the platform was better, but the combination of soundpath feet and that platform really made the way the x-13s perform super nice. Bass sounds tighter and more accurate without all the extra household vibration!
Photos are HERE, post #133.

Come join the club! :cool:

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Zero regrets, and nothing but warm, fuzzy, house-shaking good times!
Awesome, bad ass pics man! My regret was not getting the VTF-15H MK2, so next time I'll have to go big. Thx for the info! Nice job on the concrete board btw. Very cool. ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You own the X-13s, correct? If so how are you like them? Any regrets? Thoughts on the fact that it's down-firing?
I have never been able to tell a difference between down-firing and forward-firing subs!
I like Ryan's solution to reducing floor vibration, but I am not too sure that a forward firing sub would not need the same treatment in his room. IOW, I think it is his room, not the down-firing sub that recommended extra measures to isolate the sub from the floor.
Maybe @shadyJ can comment!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Great price on the RR2160!
Man its tempting to buy it for the HD and Internet radio features alone. I'm not sure about replacing my perfectly functioning HK3490 receiver which does everything I need at this time. Still....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have never been able to tell a difference between down-firing and forward-firing subs!
I like Ryan's solution to reducing floor vibration, but I am not too sure that a forward firing sub would not need the same treatment in his room. IOW, I think it is his room, not the down-firing sub that recommended extra measures to isolate the sub from the floor.
Maybe @shadyJ can comment!
If forward firing, even on carpet, you wouldn't need the extra step I took. Good isolation feet or even those cork and rubber vibration pads should in theory be enough. I do have an unusually spongy floor. ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If forward firing, even on carpet, you wouldn't need the extra step I took. Good isolation feet or even those cork and rubber vibration pads should in theory be enough. I do have an unusually spongy floor. ;)
Have you tried laying the sub on its side?
On the one hand, with down firing, the driver is pushing up and down on the floor, but on the other, if a front firing sub is moving forward, it is lifting the front feet and pushing down on the back feet. I'm not sure how much difference that really makes on your spongy floor!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Have you tried laying the sub on its side?
On the one hand, with down firing, the driver is pushing up and down on the floor, but on the other, if a front firing sub is moving forward, it is lifting the front feet and pushing down on the back feet. I'm not sure how much difference that really makes on your spongy floor!
It might just be a silly preference, but I just like down firing. In terms of sympathetic vibrations, I saw a lot of chatter about using those feet and how cabinet doors stopped rattling and such. So far my experience confirms that, unless I'm bumping some of that subwoofer candy!
I posted this on Shady's thread yesterday... this is the first cut I've found that actually pushed through all my isolation efforts. It's not a crazy tune, just deep!
Anyway, I would probably still suggest some type of isolation for subs in any scenario based on my experience. Don't have to go crazy or spend a lot, but for me, the difference was pretty amazing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What up, CB?!!!
Dude, I love them. Zero regrets, and nothing but warm, fuzzy, house-shaking good times!
I always liked a down-firing sub. Perhaps because thats the way I remember subs being when I was younger. *shrugs That said, I do have some special treatments that I engaged in, but mostly because my room is a flimsy vibrational mess!

If you have carpet that's not too deep, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I took some dead (acoustically) concrete pads, mounted them on outriggers, and have my subs on those. I did also swap out the stock feet for the SVS Soundpath feet.

Short story long: I have a medium-pile carpet. I had seen some references to putting down firing subs on a platform just so something like mine wasn't the first surface the air would hit. I got the idea for either granite or a wood cutting board from the web. I happened into a local stonework shop that had scrap concrete they do structures with, and when I knocked on it, it was pretty inert. So they gave me a killer price, cut it up, and drilled holes for me. You can go to Webstaurant and get 18x24 wood cutting boards for around $40 bucks a pop, too. So the outriggers, or spike feet couple the platform to the floor, but minimize surface area contact, thus in theory minimizing sympathetic vibrations from getting to my spongy floor. The spongy feet de-couple the speaker from that platform. My experience with the stock feet just on the platform was better, but the combination of soundpath feet and that platform really made the way the x-13s perform super nice. Bass sounds tighter and more accurate without all the extra household vibration!
Photos are HERE, post #133.

Come join the club! :cool:
Oh I'm so disappointed you spent money on the Soundpath feet....or did they throw them in for free? (I wish I had a good kitchen analogy for you....)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh I'm so disappointed you spent money on the Soundpath feet....or did they throw them in for free? (I wish I had a good kitchen analogy for you....)
Please don't be :confused:. I found a deal on them, paid way less, and didn't get them through SVS... ;) And they work! Otherwise, it wouldv'e been cork and rubber vibration pads!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Please don't be :confused:. I found a deal on them, paid way less, and didn't get them through SVS... ;) And they work! Otherwise, it wouldv'e been cork and rubber vibration pads!
Well, okay :) Such overpriced crapola overall.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well, okay :) Such overpriced crapola overall.
I think you know I tend towards your line of thought. ;)

I will say, in way of a micro review, that the metal cup is pretty heavy duty steel, and the rubber/sorbothane "mini-bundt cake" is squidgy A.F. (ok, not wet, so maybe not the best adj., but I think you get the point). That said, the pad is glued in, and they warn not to drag them, so it is apparent that they can be torn away from the steel cup.
Each foot weighs in at 5oz/143g. It has some heft to it. And as I said... it does do what they claim!

Admittedly, I was curious as I kept seeing talk about the benefits of isolation (in general). I almost paid full price through SVS... waited... even had those industrial anti-vibration pads in my amazon cart when I found this deal. So I took the leap. Wheeeeeee!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I like Ryan's solution to reducing floor vibration, but I am not too sure that a forward firing sub would not need the same treatment in his room.
Good to know. I currently have hardwood so not sure how the down firing sub would act on hard wood. Would probably need to get some big isolation platform.

I would probably still suggest some type of isolation for subs
Agreed. I have an acoustic-lax (sorry if I spelled wrong) isolation platform and man did it make a big difference. Do you have one or two X-13's? If one, do you have any intention of adding a second sub later down the line or is one all you'll ever need? I just took some measurements and i have just enough space to fit one X-13 in the corner. Hopefully I don't do an impulse buy over here. lol. My big thing with the VTF-15H MK2 is that it comes in a cherry finish, which would make perfect speaker stands for my cherry BMRs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Good to know. I currently have hardwood so not sure how the down firing sub would act on hard wood. Would probably need to get some big isolation platform.

Agreed. I have an acoustic-lax (sorry if I spelled wrong) isolation platform and man did it make a big difference. Do you have one or two X-13's? If one, do you have any intention of adding a second sub later down the line or is one all you'll ever need? I just took some measurements and i have just enough space to fit one X-13 in the corner. Hopefully I don't do an impulse buy over here. lol. My big thing with the VTF-15H MK2 is that it comes in a cherry finish, which would make perfect speaker stands for my cherry BMRs.
On wood floors, you wouldn't have any worries. No need for a platform. If you put them in and your house is vibrating, get those industrial rubber and cork pads that they use for air conditioners, machinery, laundry machines... those are the least expensive best way to do it!.

Regarding the choice between the two?... I know I got a lot of advice to consider the Hsu (and rythmik, and monolith, and...). And I did. But at the end of the day, the cost for the x-13 on sale with shipping is a pretty flippin great deal!

I do have two, and they are in a small room... ~2000'3. (I think you can see them both in some of the photos I posted.) They are potent. When I first set them up at about 1/2 gain as recommended... they literally made my ears go a little numb within 5 min. ;) That got fixed... I've got them at about 1/4-1/3 gain now, and trimmed down in the AVR. They blend well with the BMRs, XO at 60hz right now, but I go back and forth between that and 80. I can hear a slight difference, but can't say I prefer one over the other. I used them in sealed mode for a week or so before pulling one of the bungs, and I am now running in extended mode. Sounds great: tight and accurate.

These would be a nice counterpoint too: Satin black under the Cherry BMRs! :) Dunno if the site got updated or not, but mine measure 18"wide, not 17. *shrugs Small difference.

Cheers!

Oh... this is what I was talking about, from Amozon: Diversitech EVA anti vibration pad
Rated for 50 psi... might want a little something between the spikey rubber tip of the subs foot just so you don't over compress the pad... something like this

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dang those 2200’s are around what I paid used on ebay! That’s a great price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis