Outlaw B-Stock Sale

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you can get access to an appliance dolly, that might be better than pushing it up stairs... especially if you have to turn corners.
I'm inclined to disagree with this. With an appliance dolly (assuming you are keeping it close to upright) you are having to pull close to the entire weight up each step.
True that it would not work at all on a spiral staircase!
Just try the technique I explained. If it doesn't work for you, you will know in the first two or three steps and it is easy enough to control it as you let it slide back down to the floor - so it doesn't hurt to try!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm inclined to disagree with this. With an appliance dolly (assuming you are keeping it close to upright) you are having to pull close to the entire weight up each step.
True that it would not work at all on a spiral staircase!
Just try the technique I explained. If it doesn't work for you, you will know in the first two or three steps and it is easy enough to control it as you let it slide back down to the floor - so it doesn't hurt to try!
Ha.
I'm a pretty big guy. So to be fair, KEWs got a point. And I did free lift one of these in that ridiculous box!
DO NOT! It might have been the stupidest thing I've done. ;)
With an appliance dolly, you have those treads that rest on the stairs you have to go up, but you are still pulling 100+#. Having a spotter would be ideal. Regardless of which technique you choose.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
DO NOT! It might have been the stupidest thing I've done. ;)
Copy.

Judging from your pic that looks like a pretty big dishwasher box. My staircase is 41 inches wide so I'm thinking I may have to unbox it and then get up the stairs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Copy.

Judging from your pic that looks like a pretty big dishwasher box. My staircase is 41 inches wide so I'm thinking I may have to unbox it and then get up the stairs.
X-13 box is 24" wide (X 30"D X 32"H).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This is what I use to haul large subs up and down stairs. It makes it pretty easy. You do need two people, of course. That was a very good investment for a subwoofer reviewer with a stair case! It was $30 or so but probably saved me $30,000 in back surgeries.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is what I use to haul large subs up and down stairs. It makes it pretty easy. You do need two people, of course. That was a very good investment for a subwoofer reviewer with a stair case! It was $30 or so but probably saved me $30,000 in back surgeries.
I have something similar called forearm forklifts... two wide nylon straps with loops on each end that you slide over your forearm to your elbows. Makes team lifting so much safer and easier!

Oh, and yes... that little comment about 30k in back surgeries... that’s why I said what I did about free lifting one: Do Not! I didn’t have a choice; it was neither fun nor safe and I definitely think had I tried turning or stepping I would have been on the ground. As it was I was just unstacking them and using my body as a fulcrum to ease it to the ground in its box.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have something similar called forearm forklifts... two wide nylon straps with loops on each end that you slide over your forearm to your elbows. Makes team lifting so much safer and easier!

Oh, and yes... that little comment about 30k in back surgeries... that’s why I said what I did about free lifting one: Do Not! I didn’t have a choice; it was neither fun nor safe and I definitely think had I tried turning or stepping I would have been on the ground. As it was I was just unstacking them and using my body as a fulcrum to ease it to the ground in its box.
I won't accept subwoofer review units over 200 lbs for this reason. It's too much of a strain. I would be very selective about accepting review units over 150 lbs at this point. Same thing with tower speakers, I can't measure them if they are much more than 80 lbs, since I have to carry them up a ladder for free air measurements. For those who want to see heavier duty tower speakers reviewed, I am accepting donations of a forklift if they are charitable!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For those who want to see heavier duty tower speakers reviewed, I am accepting donations of a forklift if they are charitable!
What?, the company won't get you a lift??? ;)

I offered before, you can come out to Sonoma county... my landlord might even let you use his tractor with the fork attachment. Just have all review speakers, subs, and gear sent here. ;) There's a private room you can crash in...
:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Gotta agree getting my PB 4000's off the delivery truck was no walk in the park. Thank the Lord the 2 fellas from Bjorn's had no problems helping me out!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis