Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

T

thecaptain2000

Audiophyte
It is funny how you think you are in control and then life takes it away from you. Now I found a bargain basement deal on the Z11 (althought it comes with no remote and YPAO). Is the YPAO microphone coming with anything "custom" so that it cannot be replaced by any other standard one?

B

bwillcox

Audioholic Intern
It is funny how you think you are in control and then life takes it away from you. Now I found a bargain basement deal on the Z11 (althought it comes with no remote and YPAO). Is the YPAO microphone coming with anything "custom" so that it cannot be replaced by any other standard one?
The Yamaha receiver microphones all pretty much look alike to me (at least for the higher end models, my RX-V461 mic looks a bit cheesier). Anyway, they have a circular base with a threaded hole in the bottom for a tripod mount. The mic itself sits vertically in the base and its opening points straight up. I've always suspected that they are likely pretty special, but don't really know.

Ugh, I wanted to add...if it was me, I'd go ahead and get the Z11 (depending on the actual deal being offered) and then get the OEM mic from Yamaha for it (no idea what they want for it though). As for the remote, it is a pretty weak item...not sure I'd want to spend any money on it. I never use mine (I tend to use universal remotes, Prontos and Harmony Ones, depending on system).

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I'm not to sure about the mic from the Z11. Just call Yamaha and ask them, I'm sure the mic is quite cheap too to purchase separately.

When you say, "...no remote and YPAO", you meant no YPAO because of no remote, right?

Yamaha uses a parametric EQ to calibrate the room, so I'm not so sure that the mic have to be calibrated for a specific receiver model, but then the RX-Z11 is a very unique model.

But YPAO is so much different than the much more sophisticated Audyssey MultEQ XT with it's hundreds of FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filters that not only correct in the frequency domain but also in the time domain. And with many filters apply to the low bass, down to a very low 10 hz or even lower.
And with Audyssey MultEQ PRO, you can take up to 32 different position measurements! That is a lot of processing computation.

And the mics with Audyssey are indeed calibrated for each different models.
You cannot use another mic from another receiver.

Captain, you'll never be in control, nobody else either. Control is relative, it is only one dimension, it does not add up to a totality or an entity. Total control by itself does not exist. All forces in natural life are uncontrollable. Humans are the same.
It is only logical, because we are influenced by the natural development from the forces that truly govern us, elements of nature.

Bob

K

karzone

Audiophyte
Yamaha RX Z7 Scientific Atlanta

Hi Gene

I recently bought a Yam Z7 from audioholics store. I have connected the receiver to a Samsung 61 inch DLP and B&W 703 fronts. .I have setup the Z7 remote to connect to Scientific Atlanta DVR. But it would not perform the DVR functions . I am only able to power the cable box and change channels. Is it possible to perform the IOTX function of the cables remote and access the guide of challens and access the DVR and record programs using the Yamaha remote.

K

karzone

Audiophyte
Zone 1 Zone 2 input conflicts

The RX-Z7 can output video, with on-screen display (OSD), to a second zone simultaneously with the main room. Additionally, the RX-Z7can be controlled from the Web browser of a PC or PDA over a home network.

Issues
============
I am controlling the RXZ7 using web browser to play internet radio in zone 2 and Cable in zone 1. While doing so Zone 1 is also switching to Internet Radio.

The same happens if I play Internet radio in Zone 2 and TV in Zone 1 Zone 2 also changes to TV. This conflict isnt there with zone 3 and zone 4. Do you know how to fix this. If it is capable of playing different sources in different zones then there shouldnt be any overriding and changing the mainzone to whats playing in zone 2.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I recently bought a Yam Z7 from audioholics store. I have connected the receiver to a Samsung 61 inch DLP and B&W 703 fronts. .I have setup the Z7 remote to connect to Scientific Atlanta DVR. But it would not perform the DVR functions . I am only able to power the cable box and change channels. Is it possible to perform the IOTX function of the cables remote and access the guide of challens and access the DVR and record programs using the Yamaha remote.
I haven't really messed with the stock remote much but I believe it is programmable so you can have it learn the basic buttons of your cable box remote to operate those features.

T

thecaptain2000

Audiophyte
I'm not to sure about the mic from the Z11. Just call Yamaha and ask them, I'm sure the mic is quite cheap too to purchase separately.

When you say, "...no remote and YPAO", you meant no YPAO because of no remote, right?

Yamaha uses a parametric EQ to calibrate the room, so I'm not so sure that the mic have to be calibrated for a specific receiver model, but then the RX-Z11 is a very unique model.

But YPAO is so much different than the much more sophisticated Audyssey MultEQ XT with it's hundreds of FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filters that not only correct in the frequency domain but also in the time domain. And with many filters apply to the low bass, down to a very low 10 hz or even lower.
And with Audyssey MultEQ PRO, you can take up to 32 different position measurements! That is a lot of processing computation.

And the mics with Audyssey are indeed calibrated for each different models.
You cannot use another mic from another receiver.

Captain, you'll never be in control, nobody else either. Control is relative, it is only one dimension, it does not add up to a totality or an entity. Total control by itself does not exist. All forces in natural life are uncontrollable. Humans are the same.
It is only logical, because we are influenced by the natural development from the forces that truly govern us, elements of nature.

Bob

I meant No YPAO because no... microphone

I went on and bught the Z9 I will collect it next week, there is about 900$ difference between the z9 and and the Z11 (with no remote and no mike).

I saw on ebay a Z11 for sale at 180$. I would use the Iphone instead (per Gene review, althought I downloaded the z11 manual and there is no mention of any special iphone link/feature)

ps I got the Z9 REALLY cheap so I will eventually sell it if I can solve the YPAO and remote Z11 "issues"

now I will stop posting on this forum as my issues are no longer Z7 related sp I may be getting on someone's nerves
R

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I meant No YPAO because no... microphone

I went on and bught the Z9 I will collect it next week, there is about 900$ difference between the z9 and and the Z11 (with no remote and no mike).

I saw on ebay a Z11 for sale at 180$. I would use the Iphone instead (per Gene review, althought I downloaded the z11 manual and there is no mention of any special iphone link/feature)

ps I got the Z9 REALLY cheap so I will eventually sell it if I can solve the YPAO and remote Z11 "issues"

now I will stop posting on this forum as my issues are no longer Z7 related sp I may be getting on someone's nerves
R

Hi R,

No YPAO, because no mic, check.

The Z11 for $180 on ebay! :eek: Call me a doctor... This is insane! I think that I want one too now! :D

ps You got the Z9! Congratulations! What a score! :)

Well I can related to your last point, but still the Z7, Z9 & Z11 are all related somehow. One thing for sure, you're not getting on my nerves at all.
You actually hit the nail, by trying to compare these 3 flagship receivers from the Z series. This is how you do you home work and some serious shopping, when you consider the Yammy RX-Z7, which is some serious money anyway.

I found it very interesting to be chatting with you on the differences between these 3 great receivers.

Regards,

Bob

T

thecaptain2000

Audiophyte
haha, no, it was the Z11 remote on ebay for 180$. I went on with the Z9 because I know where to sell it for a profit. Not that I will necessarely do that but after I experiment with it I will go back to Gene's review of the Z11 to pick up the differencies and go for a live test and eventuallu make a further move.
(BTW where are you Gene? I would have hoped for your insight too since you reviewed both units)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
haha, no, it was the Z11 remote on ebay for 180$. I went on with the Z9 because I know where to sell it for a profit. Not that I will necessarely do that but after I experiment with it I will go back to Gene's review of the Z11 to pick up the differencies and go for a live test and eventuallu make a further move.
(BTW where are you Gene? I would have hoped for your insight too since you reviewed both units)
Too late now, I already died of a heart attack! :eek:

As for the Z11, it is probably one of the most, if not the most musical receiver on the planet.

And as for Gene, I hope that he is working on some very interesting reviews.
And eventually including the Onkyo TX-SR876. :)

And I cannot stop my enthusiasm for the eventual release and review of the Denon AVR-4310ci, and later on this year the AVR-4810ci. ;)

And by that time the Onkyo TX-SR877 and TX-NR907 will hit the scene too. :)

Good times ahead, indeed! :) :) :)

Bob

L

lmijnen

Audiophyte
Kappa 9.2: too much for the Z7?

Hi all,

First, to all of you, thanks for all the knowledge you spread in these forums. There are a lot of people like me who read alot before buying a receiver.

As for me, I am a proud Z7 owner since 2 days. The sound quality and the possibilities are mind blowing.

But: I have one little problem with the Z7, hope anyone of you can give me an advise. My fronts are Infinity 9.2i Kappa's. I bought a refoamed pair a month ago, and I really like the sound. Up to the Z7, I drove powered them by a old Sony STR-DB930 QS Receiver. I know the Kappa's are difficult speakers to drive, but the old trusty Sony was able to do the job.

Then I bought the Z7. I bi-wired and bi-amped the Kappa's, delivering approx. 400 watts/speaker. I have read on the internet the Kappa's are able to handle that power with ease, because of people driving them with 600+ watts monoblocks. I set the Z7 to the 8ohms setting, just as advised by the excellent review of Gene. But: when playing the Z7 with high volumes (display shows main volume approx. 0DB) the Z7 sometimes shuts down. :confused:

When I switch main power on, the display says "check SP wires". All wires are all brand new, correctly connected to the Z7. The Sony never did this .

Does anyone knows what could be the problem? Could there be a short-circuit in the speakers? Anyone experienced it himself? Or is there a big OHM-drop in the Kappa's with high loads thereby switching on the protection circuit of the Z7??

Any help is welcome!!

Regards,

Louis

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi Louis,

Do you know the actual minimum impedance of your Infinity 9.2i Kappa speakers, perhaps from some reviews at Stereophile or some other mags?

And did you try to switch the impedance on your RX-Z7 menu setup? Just to see what it will do.
And did you try to amplify your Kappas with just two amplifier channels? And without any biamplification?

When you biamp, did you remove the relay bars from the back of your speakers?
And did you set your Z7 with the proper biamp mode from the speaker menu setup?

Do you have an extra power amplifier at home?

Have you consider an Emotiva XPA-2 just to drive your Kappa speakers?

Sorry for all the questions, but they are part of your solution.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited:
L

lmijnen

Audiophyte
Hello Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions and your efforts.
I switched the ohm setting in the advanced setup from minimum 6 ohm to minimum 8 ohms, as recommended by Gene. Furthermore, I switched the bi-amp mode "on" in the same menu. I removed the relay bars from the speakers.

I will try to single amp the speakers. Maybe that will make a difference.

There is a ""bass response switch" on the back side of the Kappa's. This switch selects the bass performance off the speakers. I switched it off and the problem seems to be gone. I find it a bit strange the hefty powerful Yamaha isn't able to drive the high bass loads while the old Sony 120 watt was able to deliver the juice! Anyone experiencing the same with his big speakers?

I don't know the minimum impedance of the Kappa's. It is hard to find the specs of the speakers. I have spend quite some hours and am not able to find them. Found the manual but that's it, sadly.....

I don't have another amplifier than the Z7 and the Sony. This is my begin in the higher end audio world, I am only 28 years. Maybe in a couple of years I will buy monoblocks and that sort of stuff....

Thanks for the help!
Regards,

Louis

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi Louis,

Well at least that bass switch seems to help.

Which year are your Kappas? I'll do a search to find out about their true impedance. But it does seem strange that you don't see this happening with your Sony receiver?

Try the impedance swith to 6 ohms on your Z7, you got nothing to loose by trying.

Did you biamp your Kappas with the Sony receiver?

And do try to just use two power amps from your Z7 to drive your Kappas (no biamp).

Keep in touch,

Bob

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi Louis,

I check a bunch of my magazines for a review of your speakers, and I only found one from 1987, the Infinity Reference Standard 9 Kappa.

And I also found listing for the Infinity Kappa 9 from 1988.

And another listing for the Infinity Kappa 9.1 Series II, from 1996.

And one more Infinity Kappa 9.1 Series II, from 1995.

If you can describe me how many drivers and what size they are, I will be able to pinpoint more the year.

Also, which year is your Sony STR-B930 QS receiver?

* Now, if your Kappas have two 12" woofers per speaker, with a total of 7 drivers per speaker, you're in luck. (Is there one ribbon tweeter on the rear?)

If your Kappas have a total of 4 drivers, they are the most recent models, but I think there is a mistake in two of my magazines, this happened in those years.

That Sony receiver is a powerhouse or what? :eek:

* Take note: Are there 4 controls in the back? In addition to that, there is a 2 way toggle switch. Set that switch to it's "Normal" position. Because if you set it in it's Extended position, your Kappa 9 will be almost impossible to drive with most amplifiers at more than moderate levels. That's a fact!

Also when this toggle switch is set to it's "Extended" position, the impedance of your speakers drops considerably. A very high current power amplifier is a must. Also they are quite inefficient.

With a very powerful amplifier, your Kappas are beautiful in their total response across the entire audio range, with a low extension down to a clean 25hz, and the high frequency goes beyond 25khz.
You don't really need a subwoofer with these 4 x 12" drivers, they push a tremendous amount of air (with the right amp, of course).

But that toggle switch was your main culprit, because even with an amplifier that gives 350 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms, will shut down at 90 db levels! And there is no way that the Yamaha RX-Z7 can deliver this huge amount of power. You need a very heavy power amplifier for that, not a receiver, even the flagship of any brand. You'll be much better off with two Emotiva Mono-blocks XPA-1 to drive your speakers to their full potential. But you will be rewarded with magnificent sound indeed. They demand the very best amplification. Their impedance drops easily below 4 ohms too.
Your Yamaha RX-Z7, even if it's a nice receiver, is no match for your speakers, period! Even in bi-amp mode. It needs an external amp(s) to power your two front very HUNGRY Kappas.

Also, I highly recommend that you set the treble controls to their lowest setting.

I hope this help you understand now what you are facing here.

Regards,

Bob

Note: If you want to know more about the beauty of your speakers, let me know, and I will provide to you the entire review (I will have to type it). So maybe, it will be best to do it in the "Speakers" section, just let me know if you are interested.
If you are, just start a new thread about "Full review of Infinity Reference Standard 9 Series II Kappa". It's my gift to you.

Last edited:
C

cdub

Junior Audioholic
Hi all,

First, to all of you, thanks for all the knowledge you spread in these forums. There are a lot of people like me who read alot before buying a receiver.

As for me, I am a proud Z7 owner since 2 days. The sound quality and the possibilities are mind blowing.

But: I have one little problem with the Z7, hope anyone of you can give me an advise. My fronts are Infinity 9.2i Kappa's. I bought a refoamed pair a month ago, and I really like the sound. Up to the Z7, I drove powered them by a old Sony STR-DB930 QS Receiver. I know the Kappa's are difficult speakers to drive, but the old trusty Sony was able to do the job.

Then I bought the Z7. I bi-wired and bi-amped the Kappa's, delivering approx. 400 watts/speaker. I have read on the internet the Kappa's are able to handle that power with ease, because of people driving them with 600+ watts monoblocks. I set the Z7 to the 8ohms setting, just as advised by the excellent review of Gene. But: when playing the Z7 with high volumes (display shows main volume approx. 0DB) the Z7 sometimes shuts down. :confused:

When I switch main power on, the display says "check SP wires". All wires are all brand new, correctly connected to the Z7. The Sony never did this .

Does anyone knows what could be the problem? Could there be a short-circuit in the speakers? Anyone experienced it himself? Or is there a big OHM-drop in the Kappa's with high loads thereby switching on the protection circuit of the Z7??

Any help is welcome!!

Regards,

Louis
I had the same problem with my old CWS T500's when I first got my Z7, never had a problem driving them with my old Marantz SR8500, but the power of the Z7 actually melted some of the internal components of the speakers causing a short. At least it was a good excuse to upgrade to the M80's :D

Good luck, hope it's not you speakers.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
From what I'm reading here in the last few pages of this thread, it seems to me that some people are overestimating the power of the Yamaha RX-Z7.

This is a classic example that speakers have to be match with the right amp, or in this case the receiver.

I am sure that the Z7 is a very nice receiver with plenty of power, but some speakers will trip it.

And I speak from personal experience too. I owned my two front main speakers for over 20 years (I love them), the Image Concept 200, and they are a very difficult load to handle by any receivers. I've seen my fair share of discontent over the years by few receivers, and they do all sound different.
My speakers are very accurate, that is one of the main reason that I purchased them in the first place. It was these or the KEF Reference Series 104/2 or the Mirage M1. Back then the Mirage M1 was the best speaker around, and I could had them at a steal price. But they were too big for the house I was renting, so I had to give up on them.:(

Then I listen very carefully between the Image and the KEF, over a period of about two months or so, before I finally decide on the Image.

Now, my Image 200 have a low sensitivity of 84.5db, and a quite low impedance of 3.5 to 3.9ohms across most of the audio range, with the biggest dip from about 75hz all the way to 400hz! This is very taxing on an amplifier.
And the highest impedance goes to about 14ohms at about the frequency from the port tuning, 25hz. They have a clean extension down to 24hz.
Any receiver or amp that I use with them, they are very revealing of their electronics. And it is quite surprising the results that I discovered.

You cannot judge an amplifier or a receiver until you put it in your own system. Subjective reviews are only that. And results from the lab tests are only that too. The real true test is with your own speakers at home.

Everything you read is just that, a guide, a manual, an instruction short book.
But most people here at Audioholics knew that already.

Best regards,

Bob

N

Neuphonix

Audiophyte
Hi Guys,
first post here so go easy on the nubie.
I have been following the thread for a while now & finally bought a Z7 around two months ago. Have enjoyed the unit so far although I did get the "blue lines" problem, gone now thanks to the firmware update.
I am using mine in bi-amp mode to run my Krix neuphonix fronts (I am a bit of a Krix speaker fan: Neuphonix fronts, Euphonix rears, Epicentix centre, Seismix 7 sub) which seems to be working nicely.
One question I have about the unit is can you watch video from one source & listen to another source at the same time. I did see brief mention of this gripe earlier in the discussion but no real answer. I often like to watch sports & listen to the radio at the same time. So far I can't work it out, screen just goes blank once I switch to the radio.
Might be an obvious answer staring me right in the face, but if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

L

lmijnen

Audiophyte
Hi Bob,

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

The Sony STR-DB930 is a receiver about approx. 8 years old. It might have another type-number in the USA, I am living in the Netherlands, Europe. Back then, it was a middle-class receiver. But, however, it IS able to drive the Kappa's with the switch in "Bass Extended" setting!! Very strange, it must be a powerhouse. I thought it has the S-master amplifier built in.

The Kappa's I have are the series 9.1 type 2. So they must be from 96 and on. I would really like to read the review you have, but I don't want you to spend a lot of time typing it.

There are 2 controls (midrange and tweeter control) and the bass switch on the back of the speaker.

Why do you recommend to set the treble controls to the lowest setting??

When I bought the Kappa's, I also could buy the Kappa 9A, with the ribbon tweeter on the back. But they were only in Oak-finish and I wanted a black speaker. Furthermore, I read on various forums they were very, VERY difficult to drive, with a OHM drop of 0.8! I know my Kappa's are difficult to drive and need a powerful receiver / amplifier, and I thought the Z7 in bi-amp mode might do the trick. They almost do, because the sound the combination deliver is mind blowing. Only am I not able to drive the Kappa's in extended mode. But even in normal mode, I really never won't need a sub with these Kappa's.

The Z7 is quite an expense for me, maybe in a couple of years I will be using various amplifiers. I am making my first small steps in the high(er)-end audio world. For now, this will do....
And introduce that idea step by step to the girlfriend.........;););):p

Thanks for all the help!
Cheers,

Louis

G

gorman

Audioholic Intern
Two quick questions, somewhat related. And I guess they apply to the RX-V3900 as well.

1) Am I right in understanding you can use presence speakers even in a 5.1 setup? Kind of a 7.1 reversed?

2) Do these Yamahas offer something like a phantom rear channel like the Pioneers seem to do?

And another thing: does the RX-V3900 have heat problems too (I'll probably ask this on the official thread on AVS too)?

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis