Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

B

bwillcox

Audioholic Intern
LOL. Anyway I believe I am on the right track now with my latest explanations, and if not, that's why I give you a useful link.

You are right about the 80GB also suppoting SACD, I remember now, I almost bought that version. but when Sony run out of that model, they replaced it with the 40GB model but adding more GB to make it the newer 80GB, but without SACD support. Still following? The 20GB and 40GB models had never supported SACD right from the beginning. Only the 60GB and the first batch of 80GB supported SACD.
And now, like you said, the biggest supporter of SACD in the World, Sony, is not supporting anymore SACD from it's biggest seller, the PS3! :eek:
Quite a downturn.

And I understand exactly what you're saying.

But now, do you feel more advanced in your own understanding on the interraction between two of your PS3s (SACD) and your receiver RX-Z7?

From my point of view, your PS3 are sending all audio signals through their HDMI outputs in the LPCM multichannel audio format.

And to obtain in fact the DSD and Dolby TrueHD, you have to set the audio output (HDMI) at .........?

That's right; LPCM.

Cheers & enjoy life,

Bob
Yes, I understand the differences between DSD and PCM quite well (been using and studying it for many years). There are a couple of things to note though:

1. If you are doing any kind of bass management or DSP stuff in your amp/processor/receiver it is in all probability converting the DSD signal to PCM first anyway since I know of no commercial devices that do this in the DSD form.

2. There are the arguments between supporters in both camps as to which is better. One point that someone made regarding DSD that sounds like it could be real was that DSD doesn't suffer the loss of level resolution with (very) low signal levels. Since at low signal levels PCM effectively has fewer bits to work with, this sounds like it could be true, but I doubt seriously that "I" could ever hear it (I seem to lack "Golden" ears). DSD wouldn't suffer this effect since it's simply a very fast "1" or "0" indicating whether to increase the signal or lower it. Current level wouldn't seem to have an affect on it.

3. The "Pure Direct" setting on the Z7 should (I haven't actually tested it on my Z7 but I have on my Z11 and it does there) bypass the PCM step and convert the DSD signals directly to analog prior to amplification. Presumably you may hear a difference with this (see "2" above, may need Golden ears for that though).

Bob W

P

PaulF

Audioholic
Music streaming

I called Yamaha today who eventually put me through to tier 2 support. I asked them if the Z7 is capable of streaming music over a network from anything other than a PC running WMP11 -- the answer was no.

I asked about its support for Windows Media Connect 2.0, which is supported by Windows Home Server but the answer was still no. I was told that WMC 2.0 became WMP 11??

So I am trying to understand how this works. The Z7 is a DLNA device but it can't stream from any NAS? I really don't want to keep my PC on just to stream music to the Z7. Any thoughts?

C

csimons66

Audiophyte
EVANESCO, thanks for the receiver manager URL . Unfortunately, I could not get the software to work. It found the receivers MAC address but returned an error, then stated I needed to update firmware for it to work properly.

I have version 1.07 so I'm not sure what's up.

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
EVANESCO, thanks for the receiver manager URL . Unfortunately, I could not get the software to work. It found the receivers MAC address but returned an error, then stated I needed to update firmware for it to work properly.

I have version 1.07 so I'm not sure what's up.
Hehe, to be honest, I haven't had a chance to try it out, cus' I don't have a 10m long serial cable and my PC doesn't have have serial, and I haven't come by, at buying an adapter yet.

MAC adress over a serial connection.. not following.. :confused:

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Yes, I understand the differences between DSD and PCM quite well (been using and studying it for many years). There are a couple of things to note though:

1. If you are doing any kind of bass management or DSP stuff in your amp/processor/receiver it is in all probability converting the DSD signal to PCM first anyway since I know of no commercial devices that do this in the DSD form.

2. There are the arguments between supporters in both camps as to which is better. One point that someone made regarding DSD that sounds like it could be real was that DSD doesn't suffer the loss of level resolution with (very) low signal levels. Since at low signal levels PCM effectively has fewer bits to work with, this sounds like it could be true, but I doubt seriously that "I" could ever hear it (I seem to lack "Golden" ears). DSD wouldn't suffer this effect since it's simply a very fast "1" or "0" indicating whether to increase the signal or lower it. Current level wouldn't seem to have an affect on it.

3. The "Pure Direct" setting on the Z7 should (I haven't actually tested it on my Z7 but I have on my Z11 and it does there) bypass the PCM step and convert the DSD signals directly to analog prior to amplification. Presumably you may hear a difference with this (see "2" above, may need Golden ears for that though).

Bob W
Hi Bob,

Yeah, I know what you're saying.

It all depends on the set of ears from each people.

Me, I believe that most people prefer a less than perfect sound, let say with a little more distortion perhaps.
Maybe it's just that we are not accustomed yet to a purer sound.

It's the same with movies, people like a little more grain here that give that 3D effect with what seems to be a bit more sharpness. And they don't necessarly like that polished look from the digital cameras.

Me personally, I like bias. I enjoy more the way to get there than actually be there. It's like, there and gone.

Bob

K

kriktsemaj99

Audioholic Intern
Hehe, to be honest, I haven't had a chance to try it out, cus' I don't have a 10m long serial cable and my PC doesn't have have serial, and I haven't come by, at buying an adapter yet.

MAC adress over a serial connection.. not following.. :confused:
Receiver Manager on the 3900 and Z7 use a network connection, not a serial connection like the 3800 and older models use.

Q

quenthal

Enthusiast
I called Yamaha today who eventually put me through to tier 2 support. I asked them if the Z7 is capable of streaming music over a network from anything other than a PC running WMP11 -- the answer was no.

I asked about its support for Windows Media Connect 2.0, which is supported by Windows Home Server but the answer was still no. I was told that WMC 2.0 became WMP 11??

So I am trying to understand how this works. The Z7 is a DLNA device but it can't stream from any NAS? I really don't want to keep my PC on just to stream music to the Z7. Any thoughts?
I'm streaming music from my Buffalo LinkStation Live (which is running TwonkyMedia Server) with my Z7 (and 3800 before that). There has been no issues with this, but if I remember correctly, the default media server in Buffalo didn't work properly with Yamaha

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
Receiver Manager on the 3900 and Z7 use a network connection, not a serial connection like the 3800 and older models use.
hehe, your're right! The reciever manager software indeed talks to the Z7 over network. I thouhgt it was serial connection only

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Any Pictures?

Anyone has any pictures of the internals from the RX-Z7, with nice close-ups?

Or any links that does?

Bob

K

Karel-Curacao

Audiophyte
Help-Yamaha RX-Z7

My AV-receiver RX-Z7 (Yamaha) only shows "Main On" on its display but it does not respond to the remote and neither to pushing buttons, except for the master on/off. It also doesn't process any signals. I've tried to reset the system and also unplugged the power cord from the wall outlet and replugged it after 30 minutes ... Nothing works.

The manual is not of help since it contains no information on this. The AV is only three months old; I've had no problems before.

What to do? Txs.

Karel

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
This nice fellow above ^ needs your help.

Yo, people, can someone helps this nice gentleman with his problem, please.

His name is Karel, and his post is just above mine. :)
Oups!, post #570 from the previous page.

Thanks,

Bob

B

bwillcox

Audioholic Intern
My AV-receiver RX-Z7 (Yamaha) only shows "Main On" on its display but it does not respond to the remote and neither to pushing buttons, except for the master on/off. It also doesn't process any signals. I've tried to reset the system and also unplugged the power cord from the wall outlet and replugged it after 30 minutes ... Nothing works.

The manual is not of help since it contains no information on this. The AV is only three months old; I've had no problems before.

What to do? Txs.

Karel
I would start by disconnecting all of the cables to the Z7 then plug in only the power cord and see if you can control it via the front panel. If not...take it in for service...it's broken. :(

If it works that way, proceed to plug things back in till it again fails. Perhaps you can isolate the failing component this way.

As a side note, my Z11 started powering itself off as soon as a signal was passed through it last year. It turned out to be one channel of my Outlaw Audio 7900 power amp that was causing this. Disconnecting that channel (one of the rear surrounds) allowed the receive to stay on. I had to eventually replace the 7900.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
TY bwillcox on behalf of Karel & myself.

OK Karel, let us know if Bob's (Bob Willcox) solution from the post just above, did help you to find the problem.
By doing so, you help other members too. ;)

Bob

K

Karel-Curacao

Audiophyte
Receiver hospitalized...

OK Karel, let us know if Bob's (Bob Willcox) solution from the post just above, did help you to find the problem.
By doing so, you help other members too. ;)

Bob
I'm afraid not ... My receiver has been taken in for service yesterday. But thanks anyway guys. Much appreciated!!

Karel

B

bwillcox

Audioholic Intern
I'm afraid not ... My receiver has been taken in for service yesterday. But thanks anyway guys. Much appreciated!!

Karel
Unfortunately, this is what I expected would be the outcome from your original posting on the subject. It sounded to me like something in the unit had suddenly failed (a case of infant mortality). :(

However, better now than later after the warranty has expired. :)

K

Karel-Curacao

Audiophyte
Unfortunately, this is what I expected would be the outcome from your original posting on the subject. It sounded to me like something in the unit had suddenly failed (a case of infant mortality). :(

However, better now than later after the warranty has expired. :)
Absolutely! They tell me is has something to do with the power unit. Hope to hear more on Wednesday. Txs again!

Karel

R

rccon

Audiophyte
Output from a PS3 - Straight mode shows 2 channels

Posted this over on the AVS forum, but you folks seem more active, so maybe there's an easy answer...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting up a new Z7, and I can't seem to get the unit to recognize in straight mode via HDMI from a PS3 (on Blu-ray) that it is more than FL and FR. As the PS3 cannot output native bitstream for lossless codecs, I have everything set up on the PS3 to output linear PCM.

I believe the Z7 is supposed to automatically recognize a multichannel source and display all the appropriate active channels. Obviously, when I play it back, only the FL and FR are active. I can get all channel output through the various surround modes, but those are merely versions of PLII, etc. Am I doing something really stupid in not being able to get it to recognize multichannel HDMI for pass through?

B

bwillcox

Audioholic Intern
Posted this over on the AVS forum, but you folks seem more active, so maybe there's an easy answer...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting up a new Z7, and I can't seem to get the unit to recognize in straight mode via HDMI from a PS3 (on Blu-ray) that it is more than FL and FR. As the PS3 cannot output native bitstream for lossless codecs, I have everything set up on the PS3 to output linear PCM.

I believe the Z7 is supposed to automatically recognize a multichannel source and display all the appropriate active channels. Obviously, when I play it back, only the FL and FR are active. I can get all channel output through the various surround modes, but those are merely versions of PLII, etc. Am I doing something really stupid in not being able to get it to recognize multichannel HDMI for pass through?
I suspect that your problem is with the PS3 setup somewhere. I have a PS3 connected to my Z7 and it outputs multichannel PCM to the Z7 as expected. However, I have to confess that I am not a PS3 expert and would have to fend my way through the various setup menus to try to figure out what the setting is/was, which I'm not able to do now (trying to get some work done.;) )

If I get a chance I'll have a look at my PS3 setup later on. Let us know how it turns out.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Proper PS3 audio setup.

Hi rccon,

Welcome to Audioholics Forums, where we are much more active and helpful than at AVS Forum. ;) But AVS is a great Forum too, with many informative posts and more advertising too, now! :eek:

* You have to set the "HDMI audio output" of your PS3 to "Multichannel Linear PCM".

Your PS3 has several audio adjustments for digital HDMI an Optical outputs.
You just choose all the ones that you want from their audio menus.
In this case here, you just have to include the Multichannel Linear PCM for the digital HDMI audio out, in addition to all the others.
And don't forget to choose the right soundtrack from your blu-ray disc audio menu.

And your Yamaha RX-Z7 should read "Multichannel PCM" audio from it's front panel display, with all the little square boxes illuminated, indicating all the channels active in the audio soundtrack.

Hope this helps,

Bob

R

rccon

Audiophyte
Hi rccon,

* You have to set the "HDMI audio output" of your PS3 to "Multichannel Linear PCM".

Your PS3 has several audio adjustments for digital HDMI an Optical outputs.
You just choose all the ones that you want from their audio menus.
In this case here, you just have to include the Multichannel Linear PCM for the digital HDMI audio out, in addition to all the others.
And don't forget to choose the right soundtrack from your blu-ray disc audio menu.

And your Yamaha RX-Z7 should read "Multichannel PCM" audio from it's front panel display, with all the little square boxes illuminated, indicating all the channels active in the audio soundtrack.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Thanks.

I had the PS3 hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR805, and I believe I had selected all the appropriate HDMI audio options on the PS3, such as linear pcm, all the various 5.1 and 7.1 options, etc. I was having no problem with the Onkyo in getting "HDMI through" in their nomenclature, and it was playing through all 5.1 speakers. I wonder if I go in there and unselect any two channel output options, if that will make a difference.

To confirm, though, I should be selecting "straight" on the Z7 to get the "Multichannel PCM" readout on the panel, correct?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis