Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

A

Alien

Audiophyte
what volume level do you proud RX Z7 owners run it at when watching a movie I am running anywhere between -5db -15db
Typically -20 to -15 for movies. -40 to -20 for TV.

At -5 I think the neighbours & wife would protest (Loudly so they could be heard) Room isn't huge 4.2 x 6.2m & we sit across it rather than along it so I'm only about 2.6m from the front speakers.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Great review with tons of quality info. I am sure that it took a lot of time to write and test the Z7. I saw it at SOTU and the GUI was the best I have ever seen working with a network.

Thanks

W

Warlan

Audioholic Intern
Just got my Zone 2 hooked up for my patio. Really loving the Web control abilities. Just in time for a party I'm throwing tonight. I'll check out the control via an iPhone tonight while I'm at it.

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
Hey Gene!
When can we expect the next firmware update? Anyway for you to find out?
If so, could you please point out FLAC support, at least from USB, and a fix for the list lagging in web control center. Thanx.

ee4hire

ee4hire

Audioholic Intern
Yes, FLAC or any other lossless format support would really be handy, presumeably if they do it on Z7, we'll get it on the RX-V3900 too.

J

Jmaple168

Audiophyte
Surround Decode on RX-Z7

I am new to this forum.
I just upgraded my HT to a new system:

Yamaha RX-Z7 together with Paradigm Studio 100 v4 fronts, CC-690 v5 center, ADP-590 v5 side surrounds and SA-15R-30 ceiling back surrounds.
I also have a PS3 mainly for the BD playback. I have downloaded the latest firmwares on both PS3 and Z7.

I am still trying to go thru all the settings for my Yamaha in order to make the whole system sound good, and encounter this issue.

Somehow, when I tried to play any BD which has DTS-MA or True DolbyHD, I cannot get the receiver to display the info. The best I got is DTS displayed when playing BD which has DTS-MA.
On the PS3, I tried both PCM and Bitstream and always have to MANUALLY checked all the boxes instead of Automatic which somehow only default to PCM on the PS3.
So far, PS3 Bitstream settings is the one that shows the DTS display on the Z7.
Can someone help and guide me thru this issue?
Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks!!!

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
I am new to this forum.
I just upgraded my HT to a new system:

Yamaha RX-Z7 together with Paradigm Studio 100 v4 fronts, CC-690 v5 center, ADP-590 v5 side surrounds and SA-15R-30 ceiling back surrounds.
I also have a PS3 mainly for the BD playback. I have downloaded the latest firmwares on both PS3 and Z7.

I am still trying to go thru all the settings for my Yamaha in order to make the whole system sound good, and encounter this issue.

Somehow, when I tried to play any BD which has DTS-MA or True DolbyHD, I cannot get the receiver to display the info. The best I got is DTS displayed when playing BD which has DTS-MA.
On the PS3, I tried both PCM and Bitstream and always have to MANUALLY checked all the boxes instead of Automatic which somehow only default to PCM on the PS3.
So far, PS3 Bitstream settings is the one that shows the DTS display on the Z7.
Can someone help and guide me thru this issue?
Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks!!!
There is no "issue."

The PS3 doesn't bitstream the newer higher resolution codecs Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD HR/MA.

It decodes them internally and outputs them as PCM.

Turn bitstream off on the PS3, and you will see PCM on the Z7.... that is what you want.

J

Jmaple168

Audiophyte
There is no "issue."

The PS3 doesn't bitstream the newer higher resolution codecs Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD HR/MA.

It decodes them internally and outputs them as PCM.

Turn bitstream off on the PS3, and you will see PCM on the Z7.... that is what you want.
I see. Thanks FilmMixer for your prompt response!
So with PS3 Sound Setting, in order to have 7 channels output using PCM, I noticed that I have to also select the HDMI Audio Output Settings MANUALLY instead of AUTOMATIC. Then check off all the format boxes. Is that how you set yours?
Otherwise the AUTOMATIC setting only default to 2 channels.

Does all these only apply to the PS3? Will other BD players be able to bitstream and have the Z7 decodes and display the format? Psychologically, it is nice to see the format being display on the receiver (at least for me).

Thanks again!!!

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
I see. Thanks FilmMixer for your prompt response!
So with PS3 Sound Setting, in order to have 7 channels output using PCM, I noticed that I have to also select the HDMI Audio Output Settings MANUALLY instead of AUTOMATIC. Then check off all the format boxes. Is that how you set yours?
Otherwise the AUTOMATIC setting only default to 2 channels.

Does all these only apply to the PS3? Will other BD players be able to bitstream and have the Z7 decodes and display the format? Psychologically, it is nice to see the format being display on the receiver (at least for me).

Thanks again!!!
Do you have the Z7 set to pass through to your TV when off? That would explain the 2 channel AUTO set up... it determines the max number of channels the HDMI devices it is connected to can receive.

There are two weeks to receive audio: bitstream and PCM... if the player decodes it (as does the PS3) it comes out as multichannel PCM.. there are other players that decode as well as bitstream all of the formats, and you can decide if you want to do this. If the player decodes the audio, you have access to secondary audio features on BD's... when sending the newer high bitrate audio codecs as bitstreams, you lose this ability. The PS3 does not support bitstreaming the new Dolby and DTS codecs.

The PS3 does a great job of decoding the audio and it should sound the same as sending it to the Z7 as a bitstream.

T

thecaptain2000

Audiophyte
Rx-z7 as an amplifier/DSP processor

Hi,
I am in the (mental) process of upgrading from my Yamaha DSP A1. I do not care much about the new loss less codecs as the sound difference from a good DTS seems to be minimal, I care more about sound and DSP enhancements. There are various alternatives to explore: the Z7, a Z11 or a bargain basement z9. I believe a 7.1 system, for a home theater is sufficient for me so that is not a discriminant. I know Gene you have reviewed all three systems. From your "gut feeling" (I guess you never performed a side to side test) are there outstanding differences in sound that would make you to prefer any of the three compared to the others (and to the A1 I already own)?
Thank you in advance
Renato

T

tcfish19

Enthusiast
thecaptain2000, what kind of speakers do you run and is there anything else you want your receiver to do. Do you want to hook it up for internet radio, high level control.

From my experience switching from a RX-V2095 to the Z7 I don't think the sound on DTS or DD changed in any significant way. Since my room seems to be pretty good and my speakers are placed correctly YAPO did very little for my set-up. Dynamic Volume control is nice but if you don't have marital issues with volume now you don't need it.

What I like most about my upgrade, isn't the sound, it's very good by the way. It's all the features and controls I now have. I can be at work and control my receiver at home from my laptop with the web control. My wife can't figure something out I can fix it remotely. I can also control zones with this feature, it's really amazing what it can do. I learn something new each week. Right now I'm kicking myself that I didn't run my outside speakers to this receiver and instead ran them to a more crippled unit.

So if you're happy in your room, don't zone and don't care about the other features my opinion is stand pat. There are some new decoding chips on the horizion that could really make a difference in sound and convience and I'd wait to see what that's all about.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi Renato,

From what you're asking, I will go with the bargain basement price of the Yamaha RX-Z9 in a heart beat. I understand exactly what you are saying and the RX-Z9 at the great discount now is THEE ONE to get, it has the very best Dacs (the PCM-1792), the very best sound, best DSPs around (9.3 system configuration), but no HDMI though and runs hot (needs room around to breathe properly). Oh, and lots of power too.

If you want the latest, then go with the RX-Z7. It has all the enchilada, HDMI (5/2), the new high resolution audio codecs, the best video processor (VRS ABT-2010), still great Dacs, tons of connections, lots of power, great sound, lots of DSP modes, latest YPAO room correction... (And needs some room to breathe too).

And I'm a big Yamaha fan too. :)

Bob

Last edited:
T

thecaptain2000

Audiophyte
hi, my speakers are all system audio, I have no effects speakers (the small fron effect speakers I mean). at the moment I have 7.1 speakers and two of them are not connected as my A1 is a 5.1 receiver. I plan to connect this system to my HTPC so I could get internet radio from that pc and get an analog 7.1 true HD from it if necessary (all BD disks I have seen so far are 5.1). my satellite provider broadcasts max a DD 5.1 andmost of my HD movies come from the dark side of the internet and are iether DD or DTS. Now the only reason to upgrade my receiver (the A1 is still a quite powerfull amplifier) is to make use of my two very good side speakers that are there idle at the moment. This of course in the case that one among the z7 or z9 or z11 can give either a sound or an enhanced sound(DSP) considerably better than the one the A1 is providing me with already, given they have either a better design or by virtute of being able to use two more speaker. The z7 and z11 could prvide some noise correction for my hdtv (55") and that could be a factor althought I should go to a showroom and see with my eyes what impact noise correection has on SD and HD tv broadcasts

T

tcfish19

Enthusiast
Those speakers look very interesting. Sensitivity on most didn't seem to bad and the range was 4-8ohms. The Z9 is going to be slightly lacking and if you've got 7.1 only you don't really need it. I'd go with the Z7. I will say from going from the 2095 to the Z7 the sound programs of Yamaha have gotten much better. I'm never lacking for power and most people just say wow when they hear my set up. Go out an audition that's half the fun.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi Renato,

You seem to be the prime canditate for the Yamaha RX-Z7.
This is the latest with even better video processing than the RX-Z11.

And the RX-Z9 is an old artifact by now, but good sound though. (And by the way the Z9 will chew pretty much any speakers you feed it too.)

So the RX-Z7 is the one for you, and it is much less money than the Z11 too.
I'm sure you can get a good discount for it somewhere. Just check all the various main internet places.

Bob

T

thecaptain2000

Audiophyte
One question, what is Z7's 7.1 made of? I would like to have two main, two side, two rear + center +SW. + eventually two presence speakers for the DSP modes, does the Z7 support this?
R

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
One question, what is Z7's 7.1 made of? I would like to have two main, two side, two rear + center +SW. + eventually two presence speakers for the DSP modes, does the Z7 support this?
R
7.1-channel configuration is the maximum with the RX-Z7.

If you want the full enchilada with 9.1-channel configuration, going all in at the same time, you have to stretch for the RX-Z11. Sorry mate.

Yamaha needs to fill our needs with all their models that support 7.1 channels, by letting us use the preouts for the extra 2 channels by adding an external stereo amp, and let us the choice to run the rear surround channels at the same time of the two front presence channels, so we can enjoy music and movies in a 9.1 or 9.2 (2 subs) speaker configuration.
I just don't understand why Yamaha restrict this option only to their battle-ship models. Beats me, man. I guess that they don't really care at increasing their profits. Maybe, they reserve that for future use when the financial times will slow down for them; who knows what the executives have under their way of thinking.
I personally had been waiting for this option since DD EX and DTS ES came to the scene. But NO, you have to get their Flagship model to be able, and now that retails for a cool $5,500. Give them another 5 to 10 years, and maybe they will start giving their loyal customers what they are asking for.
As for me, they lost me big time on that one and a few other flaws too.
Oh well, time to keep rolling with the new kids on the block.

Bob

T

thecaptain2000

Audiophyte
thanks, I guess this means the best I can do is to "hunt" for a bargain basement z9
Thanks to all

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis