NFL Football 2008-09

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
No better feeling- watching your team lose? :D Just like a Philly fan.....
Like I said thru good times and bad always a fan,there is dissapointment with a loss in the championship games BUT being there and entertaining true fans with top notch football play year after year after year is very satisfying for even the toughest critics,and it really looks like this could finally end our drought,Really No CHOKE..TURN IT ON IN ARIZONA LETS GO BIRDS..

What I love is the fact that most people I talk to throughout the year give me that "huh" look when I say I'm an Eagles fan... As if "Wow, that's odd - they kinda suck." Yet here they are... and they've been in 5 of the last 8 (including this year) NFC championship games... That's a bit higher than your average team.

2001–02 St. Louis Rams (3) 29 Philadelphia Eagles 24
2002–03 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1) 27 Philadelphia Eagles 10
2003–04 Carolina Panthers (1) 14 Philadelphia Eagles 3
2004–05 Philadelphia Eagles (2) 27 Atlanta Falcons 10
2005–06 Seattle Seahawks (1) 34 Carolina Panthers
2006–07 Chicago Bears (2) 39 New Orleans Saints
2007–08 New York Giants (4) 23 Green Bay Packers 20
2008–09 Philadelphia Eagles at Arizona Cardinals

While it's true they lost 3/4 of those games, it's still impressive nonetheless. Basically, I think Philly is one of the most underrated teams in the league. I also think the reason is because they tend to choke, turn the ball over in crucial games and are COMPLETELY unpredictable.

But I'm still rooting for a Pennsylvania Superbowl. (And chalk me up as a Pittsburgh fan when they aren't playing Philly or Tampa). Pittsburgh is hardly a rival since they are in a different division. We rarely ever play them (but we DID beat them in September, even injured).

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I think Philly is one of the most underrated teams in the league. I also think the reason is because they tend to choke, turn the ball over in crucial games and are COMPLETELY unpredictable.
"They"

Not "they"----Him

Last edited by a moderator:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
This off-season is going to be interesting.

Will LT be traded?

Can we re-sign Mighty Mouse?

Will we re-sign Merriman?

Defensive line needs major work, who do we get to fill those holes?

Yesterday I saw that Rivera is going to interview for the Lions HC job. :mad:

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
This off-season is going to be interesting.

Will LT be traded?

Can we re-sign Mighty Mouse?

Will we re-sign Merriman?

Defensive line needs major work, who do we get to fill those holes?

Yesterday I saw that Rivera is going to interview for the Lions HC job. :mad:
Fire Norv Turner

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Fire Norv Turner
Why???

He took a team that was 5-8, ran the table to make the playoffs, beat an "on paper" favorite in the Colts in the first round, until the team got shut down by the best remaining team in the league. Nothing wrong there.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
Why???

He took a team that was 5-8, ran the table to make the playoffs, beat an "on paper" favorite in the Colts in the first round, until the team got shut down by the best remaining team in the league. Nothing wrong there.
He did not take a 5 and 8 team to the playoffs. He took a 14 and 2 team from a coach who was fired after his first year because he did not win in the first round of the playoffs. The team was good before he got there. He was 11 and 5 last year and 8 and 8 this year. The team got worse. Granted LT was not healthy. 8 and 8. If it wasn't for the poor AFC west showing this year he would not have made the playoffs. He has only made the playoffs 3 times in his 11 years. He has gotten to the second round of playoffs once (last year). If San Diego is going to fire a coach who went 14 and 2 and lost in the first round they should fire a coach who went 8 and 8. Look at what he did in Washington...NOTHING

J

jamie2112

Banned
I for one was happy when Washington fired Turner. He is not one of my favorite coaches....

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

He did not take a 5 and 8 team to the playoffs. He took a 14 and 2 team from a coach who was fired after his first year because he did not win in the first round of the playoffs. The team was good before he got there. He was 11 and 5 last year and 8 and 8 this year. The team got worse. Granted LT was not healthy. 8 and 8. If it wasn't for the poor AFC west showing this year he would not have made the playoffs. He has only made the playoffs 3 times in his 11 years. He has gotten to the second round of playoffs once (last year). If San Diego is going to fire a coach who went 14 and 2 and lost in the first round they should fire a coach who went 8 and 8. Look at what he did in Washington...NOTHING
He was 11-5 last year and won a playoff game, better than his predecessor (although I thought firing Marty was a bad idea). Who cares if he went 11-5 vs. 14-2.... the Giants went 10-6 and won the Super Bowl (and for the Eagles fans this year, I don't think they could care that they went 9-6-1). The team this year didn't start well, but they were without a healthy LDT and their best defensive player in Merriman. 4 of their 8 losses were to teams that made the playoffs, a 5th was to 11 win New England, and a 6th was the highway robbery game against Denver. 6 of their losses were by a total of 17 points (including 2 by 1 point, 1 by 2 points, and 1 by 3 points). If you look at their expected W/L record, based on points scored and allowed, they should have been 10-6. Of course, that's where luck factors in... something they had very little of.

I'm no Norv apologist, I think he was horrible in DC and was given the reins to an awful team in Oakland, but in 2 years with SD he's made the playoffs twice and won 2 playoff games (Marty won 0 in 4 years) making the 2nd round both times. If he has a losing season next year then I'd fire him, but right now he's playing with house money.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Fire Norv Turner
That would not be that bad of an idea. You can add Wade Phillips and **** Jauron to that list as well. These 3 have proven over and over to be lame duck head coaches. As co-ordintors in their respective positions they are very good but they are not head coach material IMO.

I still like Marty Schottenheimer very much. I would jump on the Marty Ball bandwaggon in a minute over any of the 3 coaches listed above.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

That would not be that bad of an idea. You can add Wade Phillips and **** Jauron to that list as well. These 3 have proven over and over to be lame duck head coaches. As co-ordintors in their respective positions they are very good but they are not head coach material IMO.

I still like Marty Schottenheimer very much. I would jump on the Marty Ball bandwaggon in a minute over any of the 3 coaches listed above.
Guess you have to write Richard Jauron :).

The Cowboys are just a mess... JJ seems more interested in building a fantasy team than a winning football team. I cannot imagine anybody who'd want to coach that team anymore... not at least until JJ sells or dies of a plastic surgery related complication.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Guess you have to write Richard Jauron :).

The Cowboys are just a mess... JJ seems more interested in building a fantasy team than a winning football team. I cannot imagine anybody who'd want to coach that team anymore... not at least until JJ sells or dies of a plastic surgery related complication.

The Cowboys are a mess. Wade Phillips is not a good fit for that team. They need a strong personality to fix that team. The perfect head coach to fill that position is Bill Cowher and I think Cowher has a big enough ego that he would take that position:eek:.

The market is so satured with excellent head coaches right now. I still can't believe Cleveland hired Mangini. What a bonehead move on their part.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
The Cowboys are a mess. Wade Phillips is not a good fit for that team.
Wade seems like a pretty good coach. I think Jerry Jones is the problem, and he's why the Cowboys are a mess. He sticks his nose where it doesn't belong, and says things that hurt the team.

I'm still bummed about Dungy retiring.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

The Cowboys are a mess. Wade Phillips is not a good fit for that team. They need a strong personality to fix that team. The perfect head coach to fill that position is Bill Cowher and I think Cowher has a big enough ego that he would take that position:eek:.

The market is so satured with excellent head coaches right now. I still can't believe Cleveland hired Mangini. What a bonehead move on their part.
I cannot imagine Cowher taking that job. He and JJ would get along worse than JJ got along with Jimmy Johnson.

Mangini wasn't that bad of a coach. Two winning seasons in 3 years, 1 playoff appearance and almost another this year. Expectations in NY are always ridiculous, and Jets fans got way too excited when Favre came. I didn't really see why he needed to be fired this year.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Wade seems like a pretty good coach. I think Jerry Jones is the problem, and he's why the Cowboys are a mess. He sticks his nose where it doesn't belong.

I'm still bummed about Dungy retiring.
When Phillips coached the Buffalo Bills, he did not even wear a headset:eek:. There were plenty moments in a lot of games I watched wich were directly a reflection of his coaching mistakes.

He is an amazing defensive co-ordinator which are usually in the top 5 each year.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
He was 11-5 last year and won a playoff game, better than his predecessor (although I thought firing Marty was a bad idea). Who cares if he went 11-5 vs. 14-2.... the Giants went 10-6 and won the Super Bowl (and for the Eagles fans this year, I don't think they could care that they went 9-6-1). The team this year didn't start well, but they were without a healthy LDT and their best defensive player in Merriman. 4 of their 8 losses were to teams that made the playoffs, a 5th was to 11 win New England, and a 6th was the highway robbery game against Denver. 6 of their losses were by a total of 17 points (including 2 by 1 point, 1 by 2 points, and 1 by 3 points). If you look at their expected W/L record, based on points scored and allowed, they should have been 10-6. Of course, that's where luck factors in... something they had very little of.

I'm no Norv apologist, I think he was horrible in DC and was given the reins to an awful team in Oakland, but in 2 years with SD he's made the playoffs twice and won 2 playoff games (Marty won 0 in 4 years) making the 2nd round both times. If he has a losing season next year then I'd fire him, but right now he's playing with house money.
Wow. You seem to know more about my team than I do. :D

I'm not a big fan of Norv either, but two years in a row he's done something Marty NEVER did for us; win a playoff game.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
He did not take a 5 and 8 team to the playoffs. He took a 14 and 2 team from a coach who was fired after his first year because he did not win in the first round of the playoffs.
If you're gonna be swinging from Marty's nuts, at least get how many years he coached SD right. ;)

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Wow. You seem to know more about my team than I do. :D

I'm not a big fan of Norv either, but two years in a row he's done something Marty NEVER did for us; win a playoff game.
I had some help from pro-football-reference.com (awesome website) :D.

I also greatly respect the job Norv's done this year. For some reason I actually got to watch 4 or 5 SD games on tv this year, and you could see how much better of a team they became over the course of the year.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis