BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hot Damn. 2017 MDX Hybrid seriously hauls azz. 5.7 0-60 and 26mpg city (where it would spend 90% of it's life)
MSRP is noticeably higher, but Acura seems to offer pretty aggressive leasing deals.
http://www.carsdirect.com/2018/acura/mdx
Somehow I can't seem to find 2018 MDX Hybrid. I hope it wasn't discontinued to due to some bad issues.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hot Damn. 2017 MDX Hybrid seriously hauls azz. 5.7 0-60 and 26mpg city (where it would spend 90% of it's life)
MSRP is noticeably higher, but Acura seems to offer pretty aggressive leasing deals.
http://www.carsdirect.com/2018/acura/mdx
Somehow I can't seem to find 2018 MDX Hybrid. I hope it wasn't discontinued to due to some bad issues.
Interesting. Yeah, I don't see a 2018 Sport Hybrid either. There's no news of it being discontinued anywhere I can see, but neither do I see the 2018 Sport Hybrid for sale anywhere. According to this page, the Sport Hybrid is available with either the Technology or Advance package, although it appears the Acura site doesn't offer it on their build page. I think the carsdirect.com page you're looking for is http://www.carsdirect.com/acura/mdx-sport-hybrid , but the Price It New button takes you to the 2017 page. Weird. This page mentions the hybrid only contributing to about 5% of sales, so maybe Acura silently dropped it due to lack of sales? Or maybe the 2018 model year won't start until the calendar year 2018 for Acura? *shrug*

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Exactly my point. No mention of killing it nor pricing explicitly available.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
the way things are going our next car will be a bicycle or a good pair of shoes. :mad:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. Yeah, I don't see a 2018 Sport Hybrid either. There's no news of it being discontinued anywhere I can see, but neither do I see the 2018 Sport Hybrid for sale anywhere. According to this page, the Sport Hybrid is available with either the Technology or Advance package, although it appears the Acura site doesn't offer it on their build page. I think the carsdirect.com page you're looking for is http://www.carsdirect.com/acura/mdx-sport-hybrid , but the Price It New button takes you to the 2017 page. Weird. This page mentions the hybrid only contributing to about 5% of sales, so maybe Acura silently dropped it due to lack of sales? Or maybe the 2018 model year won't start until the calendar year 2018 for Acura? *shrug*
From what I could tell, from at least the German autos, Hybrids never took hold that well because they cost considerably more money and offered very little actual fuel savings. Almost everyone on my Audi Forum passed on them.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From what I could tell, from at least the German autos, Hybrids never took hold that well because they cost considerably more money and offered very little actual fuel savings. Almost everyone on my Audi Forum passed on them.
Fuel savings are not my goal, in fact even if I drive 15k/year - which I don't, savings would realized after about 4.5 years, way pass lease term.
I find MDX Hybrid Sport fascinating due to improved acceleration and handling. Fuel savings, especially in city are nice to have.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Fuel savings are not my goal, in fact even if I drive 15k/year - which I don't, savings would realized after about 4.5 years, way pass lease term.
I find MDX Hybrid Sport fascinating due to improved acceleration and handling. Fuel savings, especially in city are nice to have.
but they don't actually make one.........:D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
From my Audi forums. Not an isolated MDX comment, I see them all the time on how disconnected MDX is from the road.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/q5-can-3-adults-fit-rear-seat-plus-1-more-question-please-2933923/

The "loaded" MDX is about the same price as the "loaded" SQ5, the MDX is wider, all seats are more comfortable, easily fits three 6' adults in the second row and 2 teens in the 3rd row, and it's absolutely gutless (I think 0-60 is about 19 minutes, LOL). I LOVE driving the SQ5, it's so much fun. Love the virtual cockpit, and the Bang & Olfson sound system rocks (blows away Acura's). The only thing I miss is the built-in remote car starter, and the huge trunk space (I've decided to employ roof racks for my bikes). My kids are older, so we don't do the long "family" road trips as much, so for this time in my life, I'm happy I got the SQ5!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From my Audi forums. Not an isolated MDX comment, I see them all the time on how disconnected MDX is from the road.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/q5-can-3-adults-fit-rear-seat-plus-1-more-question-please-2933923/

The "loaded" MDX is about the same price as the "loaded" SQ5, the MDX is wider, all seats are more comfortable, easily fits three 6' adults in the second row and 2 teens in the 3rd row, and it's absolutely gutless (I think 0-60 is about 19 minutes, LOL). I LOVE driving the SQ5, it's so much fun. Love the virtual cockpit, and the Bang & Olfson sound system rocks (blows away Acura's). The only thing I miss is the built-in remote car starter, and the huge trunk space (I've decided to employ roof racks for my bikes). My kids are older, so we don't do the long "family" road trips as much, so for this time in my life, I'm happy I got the SQ5!
With two car seats cargo space in Q5/SQ5 isn't that great. I heard comments about MDX steering to be somewhat disconnected from road feeling and that concerns me. I had very unpleasant experience driving old Lexus RX350 with very disconnected steering.
Loaded MDX is not same thing as Hybrid Sport MDX which has torque vectoring and actually handles pretty decently on corners. SQ5 is smaller, sportier and more fun, but Acura's lease deal may sway me and it's larger size won't hurt either.

But it could be a moot point if MDX Hybrids are discontinued.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
With two car seats cargo space in Q5/SQ5 isn't that great. I heard comments about MDX steering to be somewhat disconnected from road feeling and that concerns me. I had very unpleasant experience driving old Lexus RX350 with very disconnected steering.
Loaded MDX is not same thing as Hybrid Sport MDX which has torque vectoring and actually handles pretty decently on corners. SQ5 is smaller, sportier and more fun, but Acura's lease deal may sway me and it's larger size won't hurt either.

But it could be a moot point if MDX Hybrids are discontinued.
Do they have electric steering? I've read some implementations of this feel very odd and there is no "road feedback" which would feel very strange to me. Apparently BMW has very good electronic steering so YMMV

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Do they have electric steering? I've read some implementations of this feel very odd and there is no "road feedback" which would feel very strange to me. Apparently BMW has very good electronic steering so YMMV
Yeah, MDX do have drive by wire. I haven't tested MDX yet, so far my experience with Lexus RX was very negative. We'll see.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
We have two cars with electric steering (a BMW X3 M-Sport and an Audi S3), and I like the electric steering better than the hydraulic systems of the past. I've driven various Porsche 911s and Caymans with electric steering, and I like them better than the old hydraulic systems too. In less sporting cars, with the exception of older BMWs, I've never thought their steering was very good anyway. Old Audi and Mercedes sedans, IMO, have as little steering feel as most Japanese and domestic sedans. Cadillacs, as an exception, recently have some of the best steering feel I've experienced.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
We have two cars with electric steering (a BMW X3 M-Sport and an Audi S3), and I like the electric steering better than the hydraulic systems of the past. I've driven various Porsche 911s and Caymans with electric steering, and I like them better than the old hydraulic systems too. In less sporting cars, with the exception of older BMWs, I've never thought their steering was very good anyway. Old Audi and Mercedes sedans, IMO, have as little steering feel as most Japanese and domestic sedans. Cadillacs, as an exception, recently have some of the best steering feel I've experienced.
Yeah, that was really my point. Some have done very well with the electric steering, but some manufacturers do odd things that seem to disconnect you from the road which would be odd to me since I'm not used to it.

The german manufacturers are the ones that I've read that did a great job with it.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, MDX do have drive by wire. I haven't tested MDX yet, so far my experience with Lexus RX was very negative. We'll see.
Don't confuse electric steering assist with drive-by-wire. Only Nissan, to my knowledge, has announced true drive-by-wire steering. Mercedes has delivered drive-by-wire brakes, but both have mechanical back-up systems (because cars aren't designed with triple-redundancy like planes - too expensive and weighty).

Electric assist for steering just replaces the hydraulic assist mechanism.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry. This is what I'm referring to as "electric steering"
This is what mine has, which is what Irv was talking about:

Sport-tuned Direct-steer

The advanced electromechanical power steering features a quick 17.4:1 ratio, for quicker, more direct response on winding roads, in sharp turns, and in tight city maneuvers. In addition to its agile feedback, it offers easier steering at low speeds, as well as more precise on-center feel and straight-line stability.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
This is what mine has, which is what Irv was talking about:

Sport-tuned Direct-steer

The advanced electromechanical power steering features a quick 17.4:1 ratio, for quicker, more direct response on winding roads, in sharp turns, and in tight city maneuvers. In addition to its agile feedback, it offers easier steering at low speeds, as well as more precise on-center feel and straight-line stability.
I am not certain what you ended up buying but don't get a 600hp SUV unless you want to spend $2,500 or new tires every 7,000 miles....:eek:

I am finding that out the hard way and the only choice for my wheels are soft compound Summer tires(22" 325/35) and Pirelli and Conti are the only two that makes tires for it and they both make 1 type.

The good news is that the rotors and pads usually last every other tire change.:confused::mad:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I ended up getting 2018 OB 3.6R Limited Metallic Gray/Black Leather. Pretty much same car. Few minor improvements. Android Auto is awesome, but radio keeps forgetting presets - this one sucks. next dealer visit I'll ask them to address it.
Auto-updates didn't fix it.

Yes, it's very boring choice, but now with two kids, I kinda need a safe boring car :)
Acceleration is of course a far cry from 600hp Merc SUV, but doesn't suck entirely at 6.9s for 0-60mph.
Got my monthly payment slightly lowered as well. So far I've done about 3k miles since mid Nov.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis