BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought we were looking at it as I saved 60k on a car.....
If you sell the other car then yes.
I would be hard pressed to pick between X3M40 and SQ5, probably leaning toward later, but ya'll know my budget friendly choice, I don't regret it, but I didn't need to worry about kids car seats and had a bit more liquidity, I'd give SQ5 closer look

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My detailer is some kind of famous internet detailer that seems popular on all the car forums. He does the initial ceramic base on my cars and then has me only doing no rinse washes with ONR and then using their spray wax as a drying agent.

Here is the write-up on everything, included my detailing videos he did for me on youtube.

http://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/optimum-no-rinse-909532/#post15009275
There are good detailers around, because 99% of the effect is learning how to use an electric buffer or orbital polisher and a lot of hard work. A lot of hard work. The older I get the lazier I get about doing it myself. Our Cayman needs a polishing job and I just can't get in the mood.

I'm familiar with all of the products on his list, and I use some of them.

You know that ceramic stuff is pure baloney, right? It's like battery-powered speaker cables. Chemically, it couldn't possibly do what it says it does.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If you sell the other car then yes.
I would be hard pressed to pick between X3M40 and SQ5, probably leaning toward later, but ya'll know my budget friendly choice, I don't regret it, but I didn't need to worry about kids car seats and had a bit more liquidity, I'd give SQ5 closer look
I guess since I have had 2 Q5's, I want to try something else. I actually liked SQ's before the 2018 update plus it's the slowest in its class.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
There are good detailers around, because 99% of the effect is learning how to use an electric buffer or orbital polisher and a lot of hard work. A lot of hard work. The older I get the lazier I get about doing it myself. Our Cayman needs a polishing job and I just can't get in the mood.

I'm familiar with all of the products on his list, and I use some of them.

You know that ceramic stuff is pure baloney, right? It's like battery-powered speaker cables. Chemically, it couldn't possibly do what it says it does.
It's not magic?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess since I have had 2 Q5's, I want to try something else. I actually liked SQ's before the 2018 update plus it's the slowest in its class.
I was surprised to read this, but you are not wrong. On paper sq5 is slowest among peers. Hopefully that should change soon: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1028278_audi-rs-q5-coming-soon-with-rs-5s-450-horsepower-v-6

And if waiting is not your strongest suit, luckily you could get next best thing today : https://www.motor1.com/news/202809/audi-sq5-abt-tuning/

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I was surprised to read this, but you are not wrong. On paper sq5 is slowest among peers. Hopefully that should change soon: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1028278_audi-rs-q5-coming-soon-with-rs-5s-450-horsepower-v-6

And if waiting is not your strongest suit, luckily you could get next best thing today : https://www.motor1.com/news/202809/audi-sq5-abt-tuning/
Yes, I love the RS Q5, I would love the twin turbo diesel even more but according to all the Audi experts, neither will make it to North America.

One of my buddies blew his AMG motor with a bad tune, from a reputable company, and AMG only wanted 140K for a new motor which was around 20k less than the cost of the entire car. I have tuned many cars that were out of warranty and never had an issue but you have to be prepared to pay if you play. Supposedly, a stage 3 tune is about to be released for the M40 that will put the 0-60 time in the mid 3's. That would be a blast and nothing could touch it without tripling the price.

My GLE sold yesterday and hopefully my M40 will be here on Thursday. BMW gave me a 2018 430I to scoot around in until it arrives.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yes, I love the RS Q5, I would love the twin turbo diesel even more but according to all the Audi experts, neither will make it to North America.

One of my buddies blew his AMG motor with a bad tune, from a reputable company, and AMG only wanted 140K for a new motor which was around 20k less than the cost of the entire car. I have tuned many cars that were out of warranty and never had an issue but you have to be prepared to pay if you play. Supposedly, a stage 3 tune is about to be released for the M40 that will put the 0-60 time in the mid 3's. That would be a blast and nothing could touch it without tripling the price.

My GLE sold yesterday and hopefully my M40 will be here on Thursday. BMW gave me a 2018 430I to scoot around in until it arrives.
Wow I guess I missed this. You SOLD that monster? I will have to look at the M40. It must be one heck of a vehicle to give up the GLE.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Wow I guess I missed this. You SOLD that monster? I will have to look at the M40. It must be one heck of a vehicle to give up the GLE.
Yes Sir, I don't want to spend 10k+ on tires and brakes each year and it eats through them. I got 7,000 miles off of my last set of 4 tires and my new tires had measurable wear after 600 miles. One of my friends has the same exact car and he got 2,500 miles out of his last pair of rear tires.

It was a cool car but if I wanted a garage queen, it would be a 2 door coupe and then just get a truck for a daily driver. I considered this but decided to just go down a level and have a pretty cool SUV that can be a daily driver and still be fun. The M40 ticked all the boxes with great power, very high end tech, really good cornering, nice price, good looks and awesome exhaust notes(nothing like the AMG but it does pop and bang).

It arrived from South Carolina yesterday and they started working on inspections, window tint, detailing. I should be able to pick it up today.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
One of my friends has the same exact car and he got 2,500 miles out of his last pair of rear tires.
I don't care what kind of tires they are or what vehicle it is, if you're only getting 2500 miles on any modern tires you're either driving like a maniac on the street (and you should be arrested and have your license revoked) or you're taking the vehicle to the track. I suspect that in this case it is the latter, and taking a heavy SUV to the track is just asking for a big tire and brake pad bill. Even taking a 911 to the track is a very expensive proposition, as a good friend of mine recently found out.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I don't care what kind of tires they are or what vehicle it is, if you're only getting 2500 miles on any modern tires you're either driving like a maniac on the street (and you should be arrested and have your license revoked) or you're taking the vehicle to the track. I suspect that in this case it is the latter, and taking a heavy SUV to the track is just asking for a big tire and brake pad bill. Even taking a 911 to the track is a very expensive proposition, as a good friend of mine recently found out.
He swears he didn't track it but he is into Autocross so he probably did. He got Continental involved and they basically just told him that's possible mileage on their soft performance tires.

I wonder if Summer performance tires can go bad from improper storage or if using them in the cold temps when it's recommended to only use in temps above 40 F could lead to early failure? Bottom line is that only 2 tires are made for that car and they are both soft and wear quickly. I would average 20,000 miles on Summer's on my SQ and my wife has 10,000 on her Mercedes and they look brand new.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
He swears he didn't track it but he is into Autocross so he probably did. He got Continental involved and they basically just told him that's possible mileage on their soft performance tires.

I wonder if Summer performance tires can go bad from improper storage or if using them in the cold temps when it's recommended to only use in temps above 40 F could lead to early failure? Bottom line is that only 2 tires are made for that car and they are both soft and wear quickly. I would average 20,000 miles on Summer's on my SQ and my wife has 10,000 on her Mercedes and they look brand new.
There are some cars that go through rear tires relatively quickly. Mostly these are RWD powerful mid and rear engine things like the Porsche 911, Cayman and Boxster, the Audi R8, Lambos, (old) Acura NSXs, Ferraris, etc, though I have heard bitching and moaning about Porsche Cayenne rear tire wear. In these cases 8000 miles street miles on the rears is considered terrible, and 10K-15K is more typical. On our Cayman and Boxster we usually got about 12-15K on the rears, and twice that on the fronts. That's typical for street-driven 911s too. Even the cars I've heard about that come with Michelin Sport Cups from the factory (like some Corvettes), which have very little tread, see about 7000 miles before they need replacing. So 2500 miles is very suspect, though I would guess tire manufacturers see it all and hear it all.

I've never heard of storage conditions or cold weather driving severely impacting the life of summer tires. I use summer-only tires on two cars year-round in a locale where it gets quite cold, and I've never noticed a difference. The problem with summer tires and cold conditions is traction, and in that respect there can be a significant degradation in performance. Some max-performance summer tires get a little loose on freeway ramps and tight corners when they're cold, and you have to be careful lest your rear suddenly becomes your front.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
There are some cars that go through rear tires relatively quickly. Mostly these are RWD powerful mid and rear engine things like the Porsche 911, Cayman and Boxster, the Audi R8, Lambos, (old) Acura NSXs, Ferraris, etc, though I have heard bitching and moaning about Porsche Cayenne rear tire wear. In these cases 8000 miles street miles on the rears is considered terrible, and 10K-15K is more typical. On our Cayman and Boxster we usually got about 12-15K on the rears, and twice that on the fronts. That's typical for street-driven 911s too. Even the cars I've heard about that come with Michelin Sport Cups from the factory (like some Corvettes), which have very little tread, see about 7000 miles before they need replacing. So 2500 miles is very suspect, though I would guess tire manufacturers see it all and hear it all.

I've never heard of storage conditions or cold weather driving severely impacting the life of summer tires. I use summer-only tires on two cars year-round in a locale where it gets quite cold, and I've never noticed a difference. The problem with summer tires and cold conditions is traction, and in that respect there can be a significant degradation in performance. Some max-performance summer tires get a little loose on freeway ramps and tight corners when they're cold, and you have to be careful lest your rear suddenly becomes your front.
So I am making up the treadlife I get on my Audis?o_O

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Turned out nice and it's a blast to drive.

The interior definitely is less expensive looking with plenty of plastic looking materials compared to the AMG and way more cabin noise. The noise maybe the run flat tires which I normally don't like but I will get some miles on it and figure out what is causing it. Maybe just the fact that I am used to a car that costs twice as much as this.

My wife seems completely unimpressed with it.....

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My wife seems completely unimpressed with it.....
My wife has always preferred the Mercedes vehicles we're owned to the Bimmers. Maybe it's a girl thing. Personally, I've never driven a Benz I've been really happy with, but they make my wife happy, so I occasionally I tolerate them.

I like some S-Type Audis, but their tendency towards transverse engines is annoying. My S3 is a great highway car, but on curvy roads the understeer drives me crazy.

I'm afraid to drive the M40 for fear I'll trade in our nearly new 35i M-Sport, and take a big financial bath. Perhaps when Trump gets done waging trade war.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
This little car is a blast. I can honestly say I don't miss my AMG much at all. The black is nowhere near as hard to keep clean as I thought either. Seems like a win/win.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Oh crap. I inadvertently had my car modded and now it's faster than my AMG.
My buddy did the same exact mods on the same exact car and took it to the dragstrip. 12.50 in the quarter mile and 4.1 second 0-60.

Now this car is really fun.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis