BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My Outback 2015 3.6 is about to end lease in 5 months. The car has been so far 100% reliable and other than few quickly handled recalls and regular maintenance, nothing ever needed fixing.
It's roomy, handles well and 7.1s 0-60mph is not too terrible of performance. I don't even mind the CVT transmission.

What bugs me is that Suburu is being very lazy with engine choice. Flat inline 3.6
7.1s - I feel that it's long in the tooth and long overdue to be replaced with more modern turbo/supercharged engine. Bit more reading on this "marvel" of technology: http://www.speedville.com/egnine-feature-subarus-flat-six-engines/
It's neither very fast nor very good at fuel economy. Only thing goes for it - it's using cheaper regular gas.
The infotainment system in 2015 car feels quite lacking. I heard 2018 supposed to be much better, including (very much must for me now is) Android Auto. But I'd want to check it myself first.

I'm really looking for next crossover/wagon to as well or better at handling. Definitely a bit faster of the line. Comparable size would be nice.

My current top candidates (besides Outback 2018 3.6R) are Audi Q5 and Jag F-Pace. Infiniti QX50/60

For Infinity 2017 models Both QX30 and QX50 ratings are mixed, but still in running. Typically infinity have strong engine, but electronics lacking. Both 2017 QX50 and QX60 been nicked in reviews for below average handling. One other MAJOR issue with QX50, is if I'd like safety tech like Brake assist and Lane departure and Blind spot monitoring (etc), I basically have to raise the price by 8k!!!. Yes, it will give some nice features such as Nav and fancy seats, but it's real shame, I couldn't bolt these essential safety tech without adding ALL of luxury stuff. I'm driving for last 20 years, so technically I don't need these, but they keep you focused better if you drive distracted, but for my new driver wife they are lifesavers, literally.

Jag's 20d Diesel engine isn't great, but quickly gets very expensive (52-56k+) and some features aren't even fully matching my current 3y old outback

No doubt Audi Q5 is not cheap, but getting all the features I care about MSRP stops under 47k, so it not as terrible as F-pace.

Basically I just wish Subaru did something to their current engine selection, it's been showing their age 5 years ago and it's much worse now. 3.6 boxer is a decent engine, but as I've mentioned, it's lacking in both power, torque and efficiency. Basically if you quickly look at comparable european crossovers (and 2018 Infiniti qx30) - turbo 2.0L engines are in and getting 300hp out of them seems to be fairly easy. and v6 engines producing 400hp and up

p.s: Bonus find:
Alfa 2018 STELVIO AWD. 0-60mph at 5.4s and nicely priced under 45k msrp. Well, Given Alfa's famous "reliability" even Fiat owners I doubt could save it.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Have you looked at the new Alfa Romeo? At the price point and for a lease it seems pretty attractive in the category.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you looked at the new Alfa Romeo? At the price point and for a lease it seems pretty attractive in the category.
Yes, but only on paper so far. It does seem very dynamic and attractive car as well as well priced, but I doubt it's practicality and reliability. But Mr I love any Alfa, Jeremy Clarkson, very much unsurprisingly liked even though he's been driving slower (0-62mph in 6.6) diesel version
https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson-review-2017-alfa-romeo-stelvio/

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
If you're willing to consider Q5 or Jag money, in my shopping some months ago I found that the BMW X3 35i M-Sport was the best choice for me. Mine stickered for $55K custom-ordered, and it showed up at the dealer in less than three weeks over 1500 miles from the factory in South Carolina. 300hp turbo L6 with an 8-speed auto. IMO, the sport seats with the M-Sport model are the best in any SUV I tried.

Forget the Nav system on any vehicle. Google Maps or Waze beats them all.

The Q5 turbo-4 is a little weak.

I'm not a fan of Japanese things.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you're willing to consider Q5 or Jag money, in my shopping some months ago I found that the BMW X3 35i M-Sport was the best choice for me. Mine stickered for $55K custom-ordered, and it showed up at the dealer in less than three weeks over 1500 miles from the factory in South Carolina. 300hp turbo L6 with an 8-speed auto. IMO, the sport seats with the M-Sport model are the best in any SUV I tried.

That's one of two things I like about BMW, seat comfort and overall driving experience.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a fan of Japanese things. I just got my wife a used Acura MDX AWD. She occasionally gets crippling anxiety in traffic, but she doesn't experience that nearly as often in her MDX as she did in her CR-V. The 2017 does 0 - 60 in 5.9s, and it's thoroughly comfortable and extremely reliable. It uses high test gas, but it gets around 23 city / 29 highway mpg and has a large enough tank that I only have to fill up once in the middle of a 12-hour drive to Florida. My only complaint about it is that Honda / Acura have butchered the UI for the climate and radio controls in recent models, but I got familiar enough with it eventually. Our Acura dealership offers other perks as well -- free car washes included with oil changes, buy 3 get one free oil changes, and a free loaner if we ever have to have it serviced.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'm a fan of Japanese things. I just got my wife a used Acura MDX AWD. She occasionally gets crippling anxiety in traffic, but she doesn't experience that nearly as often in her MDX as she did in her CR-V. The 2017 does 0 - 60 in 5.9s, and it's thoroughly comfortable and extremely reliable. My only complaint about it is that Honda / Acura have butchered the UI for the climate and radio controls in recent models, but I got familiar enough with it eventually. Our Acura dealership offers other perks as well -- free car washes included with oil changes, buy 3 get one free oil changes, and a free loaner if we ever have to have it serviced.
I drove the latest MDX. Highly recommended by multiple colleagues. It's big. Not a Q5 competitor, more like a Q7. Didn't handle anywhere near as well as the Q5 or the X3, but the Sport Hybrid version wasn't available for my test drive. Lots of SUV for the money compared to the Germans, but it didn't light my fire.

I did drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT that was exciting, to say the least, but was also sort of big and heavy for my taste. Cool drivetrain. Meh interior. Materials not up to Japanese or German standards.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

100% agree on NAV systems. The thing is without car integration,like Android Auto, at it's a bit not convenient.
|I'll check x3, but it's both smaller side i think. For these money I'd be looking at SQ5.
I'm curious, did you tried the merc? Forgot the model AMG GLC 43? 0-60 in 4.8s. similar msrp?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I drove the latest MDX. Highly recommended by multiple colleagues. It's big. Not a Q5 competitor, more like a Q7. Didn't handle anywhere near as well as the Q5 or the X3, but the Sport Hybrid version wasn't available for my test drive. Lots of SUV for the money compared to the Germans, but it didn't light my fire.

I did drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT that was exciting, to say the least, but was also sort of big and heavy for my taste. Cool drivetrain. Meh interior. Materials not up to Japanese or German standards.
Lets just say, I'm not very patriotic then it comes in US designed vehicles. I didn't said made, since Subaru gets assembled in Indiana

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm haven't really ever been a Volvo guy, but the new suvs host a ton of features and the highest safety rating; coming in handy for wives o_O

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Subaru is definitely not where you want to go for performance, unless you buy one of their sports cars. However I will say our 2017 Forrester 2.5 with CVT gets moving pretty quick and gets excellent fuel economy.

I compared a couple identically equipped models to find the one we wanted. Their reliability is beyond impressive... We didn't need new suspension on the last one till over 200k, for example.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I bet BSA's wife would like a Tacoma Limited with a tow package, lift kit, bigass rock climbing tires, a brush guard with a winch, and rally lights. You know she's got an inner redneck just begging to escape.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm haven't really ever been a Volvo guy, but the new suvs host a ton of features and the highest safety rating; coming in handy for wives o_O
Heard reliability concerns about Volvo's, besides if I wanted a practical only car, I'd stay with Outback or another boring Japanese car

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I bet BSA's wife would like a Tacoma Limited with a tow package, lift kit, bigass rock climbing tires, a brush guard with a winch, and rally lights. You know she's got an inner redneck just begging to escape.

Heck, a truck like that brings out my inner red-neck too!

Murca!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ha, Nice try :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
100% agree on NAV systems. The thing is without car integration,like Android Auto, at it's a bit not convenient.
|I'll check x3, but it's both smaller side i think. For these money I'd be looking at SQ5.
I'm curious, did you tried the merc? Forgot the model AMG GLC 43? 0-60 in 4.8s. similar msrp?
The SQ5 is nice, but now you're talking about the range of $60K. The SQ5 engine is powerful, but I liked the X3 engine better. The SQ5 handles almost on par with the M-Sport X3, and the interior is nicer than the Bimmer. (Of course, that's almost always true for those two brands.)

We've owned two Mercedes, and I admit that I'm not a fan. But my wife is, big time, so we always end up test driving them. I haven't been in the AMG GLC.

I seem to be drawn to certain BMWs, most Porsches, and selected Audis lately. Non-S Audis sometimes handle like crap (the A6, for example), so test drives are important.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Subaru is definitely not where you want to go for performance, unless you buy one of their sports cars. However I will say our 2017 Forrester 2.5 with CVT gets moving pretty quick and gets excellent fuel economy.

I compared a couple identically equipped models to find the one we wanted. Their reliability is beyond impressive... We didn't need new suspension on the last one till over 200k, for example.
Yeah, Forester XT is mildly tempting. Need to test drive one. Heard though it's not as good in road noise as outback.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis