Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I just saw this at the Texas State Fair over the weekend; the Ford Edge ST
To me, that thing's a travesty. I'm not pleased because for the US market they're axing the excellent, although aging Focus and Fiesta lines, while Europe's getting nice refreshes. They act like this new "ST" is a replacement for the Fiesta ST or Focus RS. Lol nope!

It mainly disgusts me because it represents everything that I hate about the auto industry right now.
Ford: "Nah, you don't really want that Fiesta (that is affordable). What you REALLY want is this AWESOME NEW EXTREEEEEEEEME ST version of our lame-o crossover SUV!!! (please pay no attention to the fact that it's $50K after a couple options)"

I was actually cross shopping the Fiesta ST, Focus ST too but knocking them off the list since they're doing away with them. Bad, Ford! Bad! I still want another Mustang GT, but man, I am just so mad at Ford these days I seriously don't want to support them any longer after they decided to do away with all cars minus the Mustang. :(

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Minor update: So far got one quote for Lease of 2018 Accord Touring 2.0t. $439 with 0 down. Not too thrilling. Was hoping to get closer to $400. Have old beater as a trade-in, but dealer valued it at $100 :( (I should add that Edmunds valuation puts it at $800-1000 for trade-in value)
May have to go down to EX-L 2.0T model with few options. Skipping $1000 NAV option is thumbs up! (only care about Android Auto) but not 100% sure how much I'll miss active suspension..
The best thing about the Accord is that you can still get a proper 6-speed manual pretty easily with them! One of the last remaining manufacturers keeping my beloved stick alive. They're actually persuading me to take a serious look at the Accord for our next family hauler.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To me, that thing's a travesty. I'm not pleased because for the US market they're axing the excellent, although aging Focus and Fiesta lines, while Europe's getting nice refreshes. They act like this new "ST" is a replacement for the Fiesta ST or Focus RS. Lol nope!

It mainly disgusts me because it represents everything that I hate about the auto industry right now.
Ford: "Nah, you don't really want that Fiesta (that is affordable). What you REALLY want is this AWESOME NEW EXTREEEEEEEEME ST version of our lame-o crossover SUV!!! (please pay no attention to the fact that it's $50K after a couple options)"

I was actually cross shopping the Fiesta ST, Focus ST too but knocking them off the list since they're doing away with them. Bad, Ford! Bad! I still want another Mustang GT, but man, I am just so mad at Ford these days I seriously don't want to support them any longer after they decided to do away with all cars minus the Mustang. :(
Pay no attention to Edge ST 0-60 [it's painfully slow]

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The best thing about the Accord is that you can still get a proper 6-speed manual pretty easily with them! One of the last remaining manufacturers keeping my beloved stick alive. They're actually persuading me to take a serious look at the Accord for our next family hauler.
Could a pro for some, but I'm waaaaay to lazy to drive stick, not to mention a 10-speed auto is actually faster 0-60. It's pretty crazy that a mid-sized family sedan costing a hair over 30k does 5.5s 0-60.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Could a pro for some, but I'm waaaaay to lazy to drive stick, not to mention a 10-speed auto is actually faster 0-60. It's pretty crazy that a mid-sized family sedan costing a hair over 30k does 5.5s 0-60.
I have the M40i hitting 3.88 0-60 now. Crazy little SUV. That's faster than the Porsche 911 Carrera GTS....at least in the one category...lol...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai

I am not a fan of SUVs in general and would not consider the Edge ST for myself: @Mikado463 mentioned the Edge in his post and I thought the redesign and ST badge looked pretty cool. I have not driven it so have no opinion of its performance.

I do agree with you that is sucks that Ford is dropping all of its sedans. I love the ST (this is mine):
1540910605199.png

Since the Fiesta and Focus won't be sold anymore, it is possible that the ST may hold or increase in value (temporarily). That is great for me but means I REALLY won't be able to afford a used RS...

Attachments

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
a 10-speed auto is actually faster 0-60.
10 speeds? In a Honda tranny?

My gas station guy gave me a customer car to fetch a part while he worked on my truck. It was a Lincoln SUV beast of some kind or other with a close shifting transmission. I didn't like that at all, faster or not. I can tell right now that your passengers diapers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

My gas station guy gave me a customer car to fetch a part while he worked on my truck. It was a Lincoln SUV beast of some kind or other with a close shifting transmission. I didn't like that at all, faster or not. I can tell right now that your passengers diapers.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-accord-20t-automatic-test-review
https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-honda-accord-makes-normal-feel-so-good-1822438313
tl;dr - it's not terrible

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
If I was planning on keeping the car past the warranty period, that would actually spook me. Honda has historically made excellent motors and bullet-proof manual transmissions, but their automatics have always been a weak point for the brand. Shoving in 10 tiny gears into the same space seems like a recipe for future issues. It might shift great. It might be faster. I still don't trust it. But that's just me. If you have it under warranty and want the auto, then I guess it doesn't matter. Just my personal opinion. I'm a sucker for MT's though. Never had a problem with an MT other than routine clutch replacements. Autos though? Don't get me started...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Auto trannys are getting to be more and more impressive. In the Charger I want the 8 speed only loses 50hp to the wheels out of 485hp. That's pretty impressive since loss is usually much higher than that. Or, the engine makes more than 485 at the crank.

I don't care either way.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

all cars except Mustang ? I thought they were keeping at least one sedan ??

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
all cars except Mustang ? I thought they were keeping at least one sedan ??
Yeah, they announced Ford is getting out of cars in North America. The lower margins and the demand for crossovers and SUV's/trucks meant they needed to put their development $$ where it gets them the most money. A lot of the cars were being heavily discounted or sold to rental fleets. There isn't much money in that. Once Alan Mullaly retired, Ford started to struggle with a direction and a future plan. People just aren't into cars. Especially when you compare them against the flexibility of the crossover and smaller SUV market.

I can't put more than 3 kids into a car. But I can with a third row crossover or SUV. Add in higher seating position, ease of getting a fat American into and out of a car seat is easier in crossovers/SUV's, etc. it just makes sense. It's what the public wants. Look at Fiat Chrysler in NA, not many car offerings left. Europe likes cars but they are jammed for streets whereas we aren't in most cities.

At least Ford is keeping the Mustang and probably limited builds of the GT.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
LOL on the compares to the Edge boys .......... apples to oranges !

Chevy is gonna rebadge the 'Blazer' soon as well, I suspect Edge ST numbers as well

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis